TEAM SHELBY FORUM

NASCAR Nationwide COT ponycars are coming!!

ilmor

COT= :barf:

Yeah, it pretty much is, at the moment - but I think that they are working hard to race, test and develop it to get it right. Above all, it's certainly a much safer car than the previous, and that was a primary goal.

no question it is much safer and that is a great thing. I just wish that the teams weren't pigeon holed into such a box and unable to use their talents and creativity.

I think it is a great car on the superspeedways but the intermediate, cookie cutter tracks, it just doesn't lend itself to good racing. I know clean air has always been important but it appears even more so now. If you're out front, you can check out and build a pretty significant lead.

California is a perfect example. I'm sure they are working hard to develop this car, I hope it happens soon.

While I am happy to see the pony cars being sought by NASCAR, I doubt it will be anything special. First consider the current Cup cars are spec racers with only the hood and lamp stickers of the model the car is supposed to be. Second, The Mustang, Camaro and Challenger all basically have blunt vertical front ends. Toyota using the Camary is using a more aerodynamic and downforce friendly car. I am not a engineer, I do watch my fair share of racing, but I think that would be a huge advantage to Toyota. So Nascar would have to do something about the shapes. In the end I expect to see a spec race car with running pony and whatever the other use for badges.

I hope I am wrong but I am not holding my breath.

Here is a report with a few pictures. The cars look very similar to each other. Except the Ford Fusion grill stickers on the Ford. In reality The front certainly doesn't have the shape of a Mustang. I wouldn't expect to see any Mustang detail anyways. They are testing cars for the 2010 season. There hasn't been one good picture of the 2010 production Mustang yet. Ford certainly isn't going to provided any hints on a race track.

http://www.jayski.com/nationwide/2008/test...ot-richmond.htm

Archived