TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Schedule of events? Information available?

DubbsFaris

It just occured to me....if I just drive my car, and I have a flat or blowout...will there be any place to buy a tire?

I have been to ALL of those towns out there, and I can promise the closest stock tire for our cars will be 250 miles away...at BEST!

Is there a Ford dealership in Alpine that we can get to stock a couple tires for us? or will SAI have a service vehicle out there?

Also, What times should we be making reservation for horseback riding or atv or golf? I can't decide what to do until I know what either I have to sacrifice or have time for...

Not to be high maintenence, but we need this info.

Amy has said SAI is bringing extra tires, hoses, belts and assorted sundries for our cars. I don't think that's going to be an issue. Between the lot of us, I think we can handle just about anything but a blown engine or supercharger..and the supercharger just might be fixable depending on what our vendors bring out =) Something that hasn't been mentioned. Quantum Performance will be out at Terlingua with us and they are bringing some parts as well. I'm willing to bet that some of our other vendors will be bringing stuff out as well cause really...someone (usually me...LOL) is going to break something and need something to fix it.

I agree with the time schedule. It would be nice to know when the free time is. I've got friends who are out there and would like to know when I have time to meet up with them.

Amy has said SAI is bringing extra tires, hoses, belts and assorted sundries for our cars. I don't think that's going to be an issue. Between the lot of us, I think we can handle just about anything but a blown engine or supercharger..and the supercharger just might be fixable depending on what our vendors bring out =) Something that hasn't been mentioned. Quantum Performance will be out at Terlingua with us and they are bringing some parts as well. I'm willing to bet that some of our other vendors will be bringing stuff out as well cause really...someone (usually me...LOL) is going to break something and need something to fix it.

I agree with the time schedule. It would be nice to know when the free time is. I've got friends who are out there and would like to know when I have time to meet up with them.

Eggggsellent!! Does that mean I can have a supercharger upgrade done while I sleep? If my car breaks down, I can always help you drive one of your fleet! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

All,

Alpine is the closest town of any size and does not have a Ford dealer - we did years ago, but it closed many years back. Oasis Tire is the best bet in Alpine and they are good folks and the best chance in Alpine for tire needs.

Next stop would be Fort Stockton which has several larger tire shops and then Odessa/Midland.

Hope this info helps - any local needs or questions just ask I have lived here for years.

David

David, Do you work in the park? Has everything greened up on the floor?

I can't come to the big event but my family and I are coming for Thanksgiving. Turkey and the South Rim Trail - no place but Texas :happy feet:

PS - Never knew that the most foul disgusting creature with big sharp pointy teeth was called Vorpal and I have watched that movie numerous times. I though it was the "Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog"

Just be sure you dodge the Holy hand grenade of Antioch :hysterical:

Moabman,

Yes, it is Emerald Green here right now and fixing (good Texas word) to stay that way as more rain is forecast this week. We have had great rains this summer and it is beautiful.

Yes, I work for the park and have for years. I am fortunate as I love it here. My wife and I are building our retirement home on Terlingua Ranch and when the Shelby Terlingua came out - how could I resist? I couldn't. I have wanted a Shelby for all my life and could not afford one for a long time, now I can, but needed a nudge - the Terlingua did it. I cannot wait to see mine.

Yea, I will certainly watch out for the Holy hand grenade - laughing.

I am glad to hear you will be out for T-Day - lots of folks love it here for the holidays and the Southrim as you know is incomparible - what a view! Let me know when you will be here and we can visit or hike etc if you like. I plan to be around this year for Thanksgiving.

Take care,

David

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dragging this thread back to the top because I really would like to have my car set up properly for Friday's first driving event.

I will have different wheels/tires and brakes pads for the Bull Run vs. the "performance" driving events and it sure would be nice to change them only once!

Does anyone know if the Bullrun is one day and the other three events another? Will it be 2 events per day?

Sharon, Robert.......anyone lend a hand here. Thanks in advance for the info..............

Starting on day one, we may have arrival timing issues if we all want to arrive together from Alpine. I say may only because there are, by our informal count here, less than 10 people doing the Cowboy Shooting, one of them being me. If we all arrive late, they'll just start when we get there. I don't know about the other shooters, but I can't imagine that we will be shooting for 3 hours straight. So if we get started at 1p, even if we go until 3, thats 2 hours or we do the full deal and go to the Golf event late (that one is 3p-6p). The only other option is for the shooters to go ahead of the main group and get checked in by noon to start their event on time. Speaking for myself as one of the shooters, it wouldn't bother me to arrive with the main group, get checked in and then dash over to the event. Perhaps an informal agreement to allow the shooters to check in first, so that we can get over to our event quickly, might be in order.

Im not sure how appreciative the organizers are gonna be if we all show up in one line anyway....I think they were hoping for trickle in, rather than slammed at once.

I will caravan to Alpine, but I may just find my own way down to Lahitas if we are gonna have trouble with that.

Im just gonna go and have fun....Im not gonna hold myself down to schedules all weekend.

Tony, maybe you can call Samantha and say that the main caravan shows up at noon max. Or shall I call her?

So if they can reschedule cowboy shooting from 1-3PM that would be great. I don't think either that it continues for 3 hrs. That way we all have time enough. We can leave Alpine at 10AM and be there before noon. The Odessa group can leave at 7AM then instead of 5.30AM and the same goes for me as we are probably 3hrs away along the I10 somewhere. We won't make it all the way to Alpine from San Antonio after 13,5hr of flights and transferring at IHA.

Im not sure how appreciative the organizers are gonna be if we all show up in one line anyway....I think they were hoping for trickle in, rather than slammed at once.

I will caravan to Alpine, but I may just find my own way down to Lahitas if we are gonna have trouble with that.

Im just gonna go and have fun....Im not gonna hold myself down to schedules all weekend.

Dubbs,

May just go with you...

Stuart

msmap,

I contacted the BullRun folks, and was told that Friday is the drag races; Saturday is the 12 mile Challenge and the 350 mile Bull Run.

Right now the 12 mile Challenge is up in the air due to flooding on some of the roads. They may not be safe enough for "racing" even though they would be open for traffic.

I've asked for some idea of time schedules as my car setup for these two events is totally different and I need time to make the changes....................or Matt Kenseth's pit crew :hysterical::hysterical:

Tony,

As a fellow shooter, I think this sounds like the best & most fair option:

Speaking for myself as one of the shooters, it wouldn't bother me to arrive with the main group, get checked in and then dash over to the event. Perhaps an informal agreement to allow the shooters to check in first, so that we can get over to our event quickly, might be in order.

Finally, know what I will do. Thanks again Tony.

Stuart

We're leaving Alpine around 8am. Well, it really depends how much "I" drink the night before in the microbrewery.

We're leaving Alpine around 8am. Well, it really depends how much "I" drink the night before in the microbrewery.

Stuart, you are welcome to leave with us...but I do want to play it by ear...not to be wishy washy, but I am weighing getting there early vs. sleeping late :hysterical:

I like the caravan from Alpine idea, but the roads are narrow and LARGE caravans will mean constant riding brakes....not the way I want to roll if I can avoid it.

You have to figure there will be ALOT of BIG trailers going, and those roads are anything but flat...right, Vorpal?

We may play Bandit and Iceman with SPRSNK on the way into Lahitas!! :happy feet: :drool:

I hate to get there too early, but I do like the idea of getting there early and being happy by drunk:30 :beerchug: :tequila: :spend: :hearseespeak: :koolaid:

Stuart, you are welcome to leave with us...but I do want to play it by ear...not to be wishy washy, but I am weighing getting there early vs. sleeping late :hysterical:

I like the caravan from Alpine idea, but the roads are narrow and LARGE caravans will mean constant riding brakes....not the way I want to roll if I can avoid it.

You have to figure there will be ALOT of BIG trailers going, and those roads are anything but flat...right, Vorpal?

We may play Bandit and Iceman with SPRSNK on the way into Lahitas!! :happy feet: :drool:

I hate to get there too early, but I do like the idea of getting there early and being happy by drunk:30 :beerchug: :tequila: :spend: :hearseespeak: :koolaid:

Dubbs,

OK, no more wishy washy, I'm departing early with you and Supersnake--I'm sure there will be others as the date approaches. I'm in room 314--you have my cell number. I would recommend leaving at 0800--even if I consume mass quanities the night before. Having 2 groups (Early 0800 & late 1000) coming in will probably assist things in the end. Regards.

Stuart

I love it when a plan comes together.... :happy feet:

Just call us the A-Team!

Yaarrr! You Mateys are the A-Team! (Today, 19th Sept is Talk Like A Pirate Day. You could look it up.)

I was hoping to find a good place by the side of a twisty road as a base from which to photograph the Shelbys as they scooted through on the way to Lajitas. Maybe I should save that for the Bull Run? Perhaps David can suggest a good spot. I don't really want to spend half a day jumping up when a beast comes by.

These photos were among seventy or so participants in Bumblebee Run III, earlier this year, taken from a view point turnout on the Ortega Highway above Lake Elsinore, east from San Juan Capistrano, California. Took about an hour from my arrival until the last car passed.

http://www.fototime.com/F7367516E246B56/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/20F9750C2D57953/orig.jpg

I expect to find opportunity to do some similar stuff around the Terlingua events.

Shivering my timbers, I remain,

Dubbs,

OK, no more wishy washy, I'm departing early with you and Supersnake--I'm sure there will be others as the date approaches. I'm in room 314--you have my cell number. I would recommend leaving at 0800--even if I consume mass quanities the night before. Having 2 groups (Early 0800 & late 1000) coming in will probably assist things in the end. Regards.

Stuart

Pity.

Archived