TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe CSX9000

Dig-It

I'm looking for chassis specifications for the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe CSX9000. I'm looking for something more detailed than what's listed at the Shelby Distribution website. Does anyone know if the specs are the same as the Superformance Coupe? Thanks in advance.

Dig-It

I never heard of chassis csx9000.

The original 6 coupes had csx #'s as follows:

csx2286

csx2287

csx2299

csx2300

csx2601

csx2602

The Superformance coupe has a longer wheelbase than the originals. The originals had a 90" wheelbase whereas the Superformance has a 93" wheelbase. I'm not sure if it's based off any original chassis. Even though the Superformance is licensed by Shelby, i'm not liking the looks of it. The roof line to the rear spoiler is too round....kinda hunch backed.

Shell Valley based their body off of chassis csx2299. Ask me how i found that? Well, I spoke with an original owner of chassis csx2289 and this is what he had to say about the Shell Valley body: "Shell Valley is a good 80-85% copy of the original, CSX-2299. CSX-2299 had a more upright windshield and a little more in head room than the other five originals."

I'm currently building a coupe off a Shell Valley body and a custom built tubular frame with roll cage.

I'll try and search for more info on the Superformance chassis to see if they modeled it after a particular coupe.

Thanks for the reply FiaCobra.

The aluminum bodied Shelby CSX9000 was announced about a month ago and is now listed on the Shelby Distribution USA website along with the fiberglass bodied Superformance Coupe, though no specs are given.

The specs for the Superformance Coupe are readily available. I have the March '06 Road & Track article and have found many other test reviews on the web.

I think it's pretty cool that the original designers, Peter Brock and Bob Negstad got together and designed the Superformance Daytona coupe to be "everything its predecessor should have been but never had the chance." I've read where the designers started with a clean sheet of paper because the six original Daytona’s were all hand made and all different.

Hey, that's news to me. I'll have to research that new aluminum bodied coupe.

Yes, all 6 coupes were hand made and each is a little different. Seeing them one at a time would be hard to distinguish the differences but, place them side by side and you should be able to see differences.

Are you planning on getting the new aluminum bodied car? I would imagine the price tag being pretty hefty for that. Sometimes I wish I were rich.....ok, all the time!!

Yeah, I wish I had the money too! I'm starting to save now for something special a few years down the road from now. I just wanted another something to oogle over for the time being.

The Superformance MkIII and the Shelby Autos CSX4000 - both fiberglass Cobra roadsters are about $50K (sans engine and transmission). The aluminum bodied CSX4000 is about $98K in the same configuration.

I imagine that the aluminum CSX9000 would be priced the same $48K more - plus an additional $10K - $15K for the additional aluminum - over the $64K fiberglass bodied Superformance Daytona Coupe. That should bring the total to around $122K - $127K. That's for a brand new car without engine and transmission. Figure about another $20K for those two major pieces of equipment!

For that Kind of money, I'm sure to find something else to oogle over (like I'd ever have that much money to spend on a car - let alone the guts to do so!)

Amy B gave Carroll a custom Superformance Daytona Cobra Coupe for his 85th birthday (in April 2008). Therefore, a Superformance Coupe should be good enough for me too.

Looks like we both have to play the lottery. Hey, if I win, i'll buy you a coupe!

Carroll got a coupe for his b/day? Have you ever tried getting into one? I sat in a Superformance coupe a few weeks back and it was tough. Mine is even tougher! I can't imagine trying to climb in one at the tender young age of 85.

• 10 months later...

Archived