TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Now what?

shelbygt

So i went to the Ford delearship where I purchased my Shelby. Frontier Ford and talked to one of the service guys, I showed him how bad my stripes looked and I asked them to replace them. Thats when I find out that I have 12,235 miles on my car and that its only covered up to 12,000 miles or one year of ownership. WTF????? I paid allmost 40k for the car and the damn stripes dont last more than 6 months. I need some help guys. :cry::cry: ..what can I do? I need to fix the stripes and if I purchase them its going to cost me 1k to order them and then another 6 or 700 to have them installed....any ideas?

I believe that the car has a 3 year, 36K miles bumper to bumper warranty. Did you read your warranty booklet? Perhaps Michael Morris can chime in here!!

edit - what the heck happened to your stripes???

Everything installed by Shelby comes with 3 years / 36,000 mile warranty

Everything else is 3 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper plus 5 year / 60,000 mile powertrain.

So the stripes are covered for 3 years OR 36,000 miles (whichever comes first).

This is covered by Shelby Automobiles, Inc.

Here is the warranty:

ShelbyGTWarrantyAnnouncement32407v4.pdf

ShelbyGTWarrantyAnnouncement32407v4.pdf

+1 on the 3/36

Did you ever get any satisfaction on your stripes?

I'm going through some issues with mine lifting under the hood scoop and looking bad in general (spots), plus I'm amazed a set of stainless steel mufflers can rust like mine are, also have rusted hood bolts and seat tracks. I just bought my car in June as a 2007 and bummed. I have been waiting for a reply from Shelby through the dealership now for 3 weeks. this is scary!!!! :cry:

My mufflers are rusting too. Are you sure these are stainless steel? Well maybe they are supposed to be, but they're not!!

edit - I just found this on the Ford Racing site -

Note: 409 stainless exhaust material is titanium stabilized ferritic stainless steel.

409 stainless is used in applications where appearance is a secondary consideration to mechanical properties and corrosion resistance and where some weldability is required. An example of 409 stainless usage is catalytic converter assemblies.

409 stainless has excellent forming characteristics and is rust through resistant.

A surface rust will form in most instances. This rust retards further corrosion.

So i went to the Ford delearship where I purchased my Shelby. Frontier Ford and talked to one of the service guys, I showed him how bad my stripes looked and I asked them to replace them. Thats when I find out that I have 12,235 miles on my car and that its only covered up to 12,000 miles or one year of ownership. WTF????? I paid allmost 40k for the car and the damn stripes dont last more than 6 months. I need some help guys. :cry::cry: ..what can I do? I need to fix the stripes and if I purchase them its going to cost me 1k to order them and then another 6 or 700 to have them installed....any ideas?

The're Bozos. Take it to another dealership and I suspect that they will honor your warranty in spite of the fact that your over mileage by a couple of hundred miles. <- EDIT. You are not over mileage, I forgot that SAI installed parts also have a 3/36 warranty on them too.

If that doesn't work, then contact FoMoCo corporate office in Dearborn and let them know how you feel about the situtation.

Hell, the main reason why the stripes are screwed up is because of the way the dealerships maintained the cars while they had them on the lots. In general, they have or hire a person that pushes a cart which has a portible high pressure washer and de-ionization water filters on it, and they just rinse the cars off and let them drip dry in the sun. But if they don't add the proper amount of salt on the de-ionization tanks, the water they are spraying on the cars is just as hard as if they just took it out of the tap. Dealerships also never wax their cars until they are sold and only if the new owner asks or demands that they do. The bottom line is that they only want to expend the least amount of money on the car while it's in their possession.

Put the owness back on them. Tell them that the stripes were destined to have long term damage on them because they were poorly treated from the outset. Did you pay Frontier Ford a premium ADM for your car? If you did, now it's payback time. Bring the sales manager into the fight and remind him how huch extra you paid for the car.

Hope this helps.

Did you ever get any satisfaction on your stripes?

I'm going through some issues with mine lifting under the hood scoop and looking bad in general (spots), plus I'm amazed a set of stainless steel mufflers can rust like mine are, also have rusted hood bolts and seat tracks. I just bought my car in June as a 2007 and bummed. I have been waiting for a reply from Shelby through the dealership now for 3 weeks. this is scary!!!! :cry:

My stripes had to be taken care of as a result of an accident (someone smacked into me) - and they weren't on a Shelby - they were on my Mach1. I ended up having them painted on (came out SPECTACULAR) because it was the same amount of money as the vinyl.

My stripes had to be taken care of as a result of an accident (someone smacked into me) - and they weren't on a Shelby - they were on my Mach1. I ended up having them painted on (came out SPECTACULAR) because it was the same amount of money as the vinyl.

That may not be a bad idea however in the long run will that hurt resale? I'm more concerned with the rusting problem I have. My car has 2000 miles on it. I'm sure the maintenance of the car prior to purchase has alot to do with the stipes but rust on my seat tracks and hood bolt is outrageous. :headscratch:

The're Bozos. Take it to another dealership and I suspect that they will honor your warranty in spite of the fact that your over mileage by a couple of hundred miles. <- EDIT. You are not over mileage, I forgot that SAI installed parts also have a 3/36 warranty on them too.

If that doesn't work, then contact FoMoCo corporate office in Dearborn and let them know how you feel about the situtation.

Hell, the main reason why the stripes are screwed up is because of the way the dealerships maintained the cars while they had them on the lots. In general, they have or hire a person that pushes a cart which has a portible high pressure washer and de-ionization water filters on it, and they just rinse the cars off and let them drip dry in the sun. But if they don't add the proper amount of salt on the de-ionization tanks, the water they are spraying on the cars is just as hard as if they just took it out of the tap. Dealerships also never wax their cars until they are sold and only if the new owner asks or demands that they do. The bottom line is that they only want to expend the least amount of money on the car while it's in their possession.

Put the owness back on them. Tell them that the stripes were destined to have long term damage on them because they were poorly treated from the outset. Did you pay Frontier Ford a premium ADM for your car? If you did, now it's payback time. Bring the sales manager into the fight and remind him how huch extra you paid for the car.

Hope this helps.

One we had came in with stains on the stripes and they would not come out. This wasn't from sitting outside on a lot or from hosing it down with some water truck. This car sat on the showroom floor. But it came in from SAI with yellowish gold rusty looking water spots all over the stripes. I don't know what it was or what caused that, but they would not come out.

Remember, most of these sat outside in the desert lots at SAI for months. I think that is where the problem may have come from. Just speculation on my part. Our cars were also FILTHY when they came. Under the hood was covered in dirt, the inside of the door jams were covered in dirt. I suspect from the blowing dirt from sitting outside in the desert all that time. I'm speculating that from that dirt blowing around and possibly getting wet from any rain while being covered in dirt, that that may be what caused these rusty looking water mark stains on the stripes. Other than that I don't know what else could have caused that.

Regardless, whether they sat outside at SAI or whether they sat outside on a dealers lot, this should not be a problem. These are cars and most cars do sit outside for long periods of time and not all people wash their cars everyday. Some may wash them once a month! Maybe longer. The point is, they should be made to withstand normal whether conditions from sitting outside and/or not being washed off all the time. Cars are made to be driven and sit outside.

I never seen any type of warning or caution or requirement for maintaining these stripes in any certain way to prevent any damage from being outside for long periods of time or any special requirements for using any type of special treated water.

To blame this on a dealer because they may have left the car sit outside on their lot for several months is BS! If this is a problem because of sitting outside like that then this is a manufacturer problem with the stripes. They are not able to withstand normal wear and tear.

I have not heard of anyone having this problem with their stripes on a GT500. And there some GT500's that sit outside just the same as the SGT's have. There was someone here that posted pics of a dealer in Canada that had several GT500's sitting outside covered in snow! I wonder if those stripes had a problem from that?

There have been a couple of theories posted on what causes this on the SGT. One was something to do with dirt still being on the car where the stripes were applied over that. One was something about the metallic in the stripes that is breaking down causing this. Whatever it is it is not from a case of neglect from sitting on lots or sitting outside for longer periods of time. Someone else had one that didn't have this problem but later did after his car sat outside in his driveway. So would that make that his fault too, just like a dealer leaving one sit outside?

The post about the metallic in these stripes made the most sense to me as to what is causing this. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but it is not normal and it sure as heck isn't from just sitting outside for several months. It is something with the vinyl itself or the metallic in the vinyl they are using.

Bought my car in February 2008. I garage it every day. No problems with the strips except where the hood scoop attaches. I have several areas around the rivets where the strips are bubbling. I have heard the same from other SGT owners. I would think Shelby or Ford should warrenty this, but even at that, I don't think it will help unless they change something as another SGT owner I know replaced his hood stripes and several weeks later the bubbles around the hood scoop came back again. Seems to me the problem is caused by the hood scopp being in contact with the stripes. I would think a real fix would be not to mount the hood scoop on the stripes itself. But to cut out the stripes directly under the hood scoop mount so the hood scoop does not contact the stripes.

Anyone else have any opinions?

The first picture is the one we took before I took the wife's car in to the Dealership to see about getting fixed. I went to the shop about 6 day's later and I was informed that they wouldn't be covered. Instead of finding out why he didn't argue with them I went home and called them myself. The insurance company told me the stripes were only covered for one and a half years for reasons like acid rain or any other acts of God.The second picture was taken right after I got off the phone. I described how they looked crystalized just six days after the first time I took her in. He told me to take it back to the dealer and if the stickers look how I described them they would cover them. They went as far as to ask what I wash my cars with. I told them that all my cars get washed at the local Ford Dealer's car wash. He didn't have much to say after that exept take it back for more pictures. Just so you all know they will probably give you a hard time if your car is over a year old in general except for tears, rips or air bubbles. Hard to beleive that with today's technology that their would even be a issue.

newest_hood_and_sticker_problems_011.jpg

Sgt_trunklid_015.jpg

newest_hood_and_sticker_problems_011.jpg

Sgt_trunklid_015.jpg

The first picture is the one we took before I took the wife's car in to the Dealership to see about getting fixed. I went to the shop about 6 day's later and I was informed that they wouldn't be covered. Instead of finding out why he didn't argue with them I went home and called them myself. The insurance company told me the stripes were only covered for one and a half years for reasons like acid rain or any other acts of God.The second picture was taken right after I got off the phone. I described how they looked crystalized just six days after the first time I took her in. He told me to take it back to the dealer and if the stickers look how I described them they would cover them. They went as far as to ask what I wash my cars with. I told them that all my cars get washed at the local Ford Dealer's car wash. He didn't have much to say after that exept take it back for more pictures. Just so you all know they will probably give you a hard time if your car is over a year old in general except for tears, rips or air bubbles. Hard to beleive that with today's technology that their would even be a issue.

Insurance company? What insurance company? These are under a 3 year / 36k mile warranty covered by SAI.

If you have warranty issues with your Shelby GT, call 1.800.367.3738.

Also, you can download warranty instructions here.

I will add these procedures on the top of this forum shortly after this post.

Robert, shouldn't the number be 1-800-367-3788 rather than 3738?

Jim

I called SAI and told them I needed to talk to someone about my stripes since I was told they would not be covered. The number they gave me was 1-800-367-3788. Apparently they are dealing with an insurance company for the all the claims people make for Rousch and Saleen and other specialty cars from Ford. Now that we took in a second time we are still waiting for a reply.

I called SAI and told them I needed to talk to someone about my stripes since I was told they would not be covered. The number they gave me was 1-800-367-3788. Apparently they are dealing with an insurance company for the all the claims people make for Rousch and Saleen and other specialty cars from Ford. Now that we took in a second time we are still waiting for a reply.

That number is to Ford Performance. If they bought insurance to cover their warranty claims and their insurance is not covering anything past 1 1/2 years then it would appear to me that would not be the customers problem! The CUSTOMERS warranty is for 3 years / 36K miles, whichever comes first, period! The warranty is through SAI for all Shelby parts installed and their workmanship. The stripes are specifically listed as part of the parts covered under this 3 year / 36k warranty period.

I do not see how the manufacturer can limit the warranty after the fact after giving that with the vehicle at time of purchase just because some insurance company decides to limit what they are willing to cover. That would appear to me to be an issue between the manufacturer and their insurance company and have nothing to do with the customer that purchased the vehicle. The warranty does not limit the stripes to 1 1/2 years. It clearly list them as being 3 years / 36k miles!

Call Ford Racing and ask to speak to Mitchell. He is the head guy there dealing with the Shelby issues and he will get it straight for you. The stripes and hood scoop are covered for 3 yrs or 36,000.

I recently talked with him prior to taking my car back to the dealer for a third set. I hope to have mine back Monday. He will replace them as many times as it takes during the warranty to get it right. Once you talk to him have the dealer call him direct and the issue will be taken care of.

Find a different Ford dealer. Talk to a few. The process is simple:

- If <3/36 and it's ANYTHING that Shelby did to the car it's covered.

- The Dealer MUST call Ford Racing at that 800 # mentioned earlier to make a claim.

- The Dealer still has to open a service ticket in Oasis for their own purposes.

- The Dealer MUST take pictures of the affected item(s) and have them available to send to Ford Racing when opening the claim.

- They have to have your VIN & CSM # no parts will be sent otherwise.

This is as simple as it gets. An educated customer is better than an uneducated dealer. Know your facts, know with confidence what you've been told on this forum and you should be ok. If a dealer suggests anything else.... Go find a different dealer. Don't put yourself through the headache.

Find a different Ford dealer. Talk to a few. The process is simple:

- If <3/36 and it's ANYTHING that Shelby did to the car it's covered.

- The Dealer MUST call Ford Racing at that 800 # mentioned earlier to make a claim.

- The Dealer still has to open a service ticket in Oasis for their own purposes.

- The Dealer MUST take pictures of the affected item(s) and have them available to send to Ford Racing when opening the claim.

- They have to have your VIN & CSM # no parts will be sent otherwise.

This is as simple as it gets. An educated customer is better than an uneducated dealer. Know your facts, know with confidence what you've been told on this forum and you should be ok. If a dealer suggests anything else.... Go find a different dealer. Don't put yourself through the headache.

Guys thank you all for the help. I will be going to a different dealership tomorrow with all the information I need to make sure the stripes get replaced. They look horrible right now but hopefully I will get everything straightened out and have them replace them ASAP.

Thanks again to everyone for the help

Rob

Call Ford Racing and ask to speak to Mitchell. He is the head guy there dealing with the Shelby issues and he will get it straight for you. The stripes and hood scoop are covered for 3 yrs or 36,000.

Not trying to start another 15 page hood scoop debate but Im wondering whats going to happen with the hood scoops if not fixed before cars reach their 3 yr mark. Some are half way there. Are they screwed or you think Shelby will take care of them? Ill keep my opinion to myself.

i too have problems with my stripes and i am in the middle of the process of getting them replaced. i have had no problems with Shelby, Ford or my dealership. they all have been fantastic, especially Shelby. i brought my Shelby to Crown Ford in Valley Stream NY, where i bought it and they took pics and sent them to Shelby who then authorized the stripes to be shipped to the dealer for install. the first set of stripes had some wrinkles and fish eyes in them so i am waiting now for new stripes to be sent again. the dealer has kept me in the loop and i dont expect any problems. my Shelby is #07sgt5456 and i have 12k miles and i was given no hassles at all.

Not trying to start another 15 page hood scoop debate but Im wondering whats going to happen with the hood scoops if not fixed before cars reach their 3 yr mark. Some are half way there. Are they screwed or you think Shelby will take care of them? Ill keep my opinion to myself.

I just had my stripes AND my scoop replaced with the new style and it all looks FANTASTIC! The new scoops are available as far as I know.

The scoops are deffinately in because I just got the call from my dealership that it is on the way. As to my trunk lid stripes they will not be covered because the car is just past the limited 1.5 yr. 12,000 mile waranty. I love my shelby's but I think it is crazy that with today's technoligy the vinyl would last at least past the three year mark driving the car every day. I am having no trouble with the dealer. The person I talk to every time said he doesn't understand either. Who do we talk to because my wife's car only has just under 6,000 miles on her and is just over 1.5 yrs. old.

The scoops are deffinately in because I just got the call from my dealership that it is on the way. As to my trunk lid stripes they will not be covered because the car is just past the limited 1.5 yr. 12,000 mile waranty. I love my shelby's but I think it is crazy that with today's technoligy the vinyl would last at least past the three year mark driving the car every day. I am having no trouble with the dealer. The person I talk to every time said he doesn't understand either. Who do we talk to because my wife's car only has just under 6,000 miles on her and is just over 1.5 yrs. old.

Who told you the stripes were covered under a 12,000 1.5 year warranty?

My stripes and hood scoop were replaced when the car was at SAI for the Kenne Bell supercharger. They look perfect. Now I'm going to have to bring the other car to get the S/C put on too.

Hmmm, seems like a great ploy for SC upgrades... "we take care of your warranty issues" and "we install lower brake duct grills" while we install an SC for you :):headscratch:

Joking...

I'm about to go for some warranty work on my bubbling paint around the hoodpin screw holes and rusty hoodpin cables... Hope it goes smoothly; I've only owned the car a few weeks! (didn't notices the problems when I bought it)

Archived