TEAM SHELBY FORUM

front spoiler damage and replacement

75coug

The bottom of my front spoiler has suffered quite a bit of scuffing, due to the SGT sitting so low and me not paying enough attention to curbs. I would like to buy a replacement to keep in the garage until I either sell the SGT or retire it from daily driving in a few years.

I did not see the part on the Shelby site. Is this piece distinct to the SGT?

I know that you can also have the existing bumper cover reconditioned . . . . . . . . . . . only concern here is the black, unpainted, textured portion. . . . . . they may be able to also repair that area, then repaint it with 'texture' again. . . . . for the $$$$ it may be worth a call to inquire about reconditioning your existing cover. Keystone Automotive has been known for being able to complete this kind of work. Outside of that. . . . . Like Adam said - the SGT cover is the same as the California Special front bumper cover.

This process will still require paint/stripes and the like. . . . . I'm also interested in what your findings are.

Trevor

I know that you can also have the existing bumper cover reconditioned . . . . . . . . . . . only concern here is the black, unpainted, textured portion. . . . . . they may be able to also repair that area, then repaint it with 'texture' again. . . . . for the $$$$ it may be worth a call to inquire about reconditioning your existing cover. Keystone Automotive has been known for being able to complete this kind of work. Outside of that. . . . . Like Adam said - the SGT cover is the same as the California Special front bumper cover.

This process will still require paint/stripes and the like. . . . . I'm also interested in what your findings are.

Trevor

+1a good body shop can fix it up nicely.

I took the SGT in for an oil change and tire rotation to my local Ford dealer, and asked the service guy to check for the cost of a California Special bumper guard/spoiler.

First, he asked if my car was a real Shelby or a clone. I answered, "It is a real Shelby."

Second, he asked whether it was a GT500 or GT350. I told him, "It is a Shelby GT. There is no GT350." He sort of gave me a look like I was stupid.

Finally, I directed his attention back to the bumper guard/spoiler. He said that he would check for me and provide the information when I picked the car up the next day.

Well, I picked up the car today. He was not working, and there was no information left regarding the part. This experience reminded me again as to why I have tried but failed to purchase a Ford from this local dealer on several occasions. They are just hopeless.

I took the SGT in for an oil change and tire rotation to my local Ford dealer, and asked the service guy to check for the cost of a California Special bumper guard/spoiler.

First, he asked if my car was a real Shelby or a clone. I answered, "It is a real Shelby."

Second, he asked whether it was a GT500 or GT350. I told him, "It is a Shelby GT. There is no GT350." He sort of gave me a look like I was stupid.

Finally, I directed his attention back to the bumper guard/spoiler. He said that he would check for me and provide the information when I picked the car up the next day.

Well, I picked up the car today. He was not working, and there was no information left regarding the part. This experience reminded me again as to why I have tried but failed to purchase a Ford from this local dealer on several occasions. They are just hopeless.

They are totally retarted my ford dealer had a hard time with my touch up for my wife truck

The bottom of my front spoiler has suffered quite a bit of scuffing, due to the SGT sitting so low and me not paying enough attention to curbs. I would like to buy a replacement to keep in the garage until I either sell the SGT or retire it from daily driving in a few years.

If you buy from the dealer and have them do the work you might as well buy a new car. Search online you'll find it there.

post-18733-1221019499_thumb.jpg

post-18733-1221019499_thumb.jpg

Depending how severe the scuffing is and the color of your car you can fix this yourself right inside your garage "if you feel confident enough and have some experience painting." If the scuffing is just below the bottom crease, and if your car is black; you can repair it and nobody will be able to tell. You would be surprised at how nice it turns out.

The reason I say black is because the gloss black automotive paint you can get at any auto parts store will match. That was the test I did I applied a little paint underneath to see if the paint would match and that it did. I did not want to buy a whole qt of paint and bust out the spray gun. The main thing you have to consider is how bad it is damaged. In my case it was not bad to the point of having to buy a whole new bumper. If the damage is slight "no cracks or holes" and it's below the crease it can be repaired.

With a sanding block work the area until it is smooth "no scratches" take some masking tape and some paper to protect from over spray stick the masking tape even horizontal above the highest point where you sanded and spray it enough to cover the area. If you build the paint too much when you remove the masking tape it will leave a visible line that will need to be blended in. Avoid any runs; if not you gotta start all over again with the sanding.

If this is too much work try the following:

Another route you can take in July's issue of muscle mustang and fast fords mag in the add for www.latemodelrestoration.com they have parts from crashed cars 2005-08 to include V6, GT, GT500 they might have what you need in your color if you get lucky at half the cost. Give them a call 1-877-257-6024. Hope this helped.

Depending how severe the scuffing is and the color of your car you can fix this yourself right inside your garage "if you feel confident enough and have some experience painting." If the scuffing is just below the bottom crease, and if your car is black; you can repair it and nobody will be able to tell. You would be surprised at how nice it turns out.

The reason I say black is because the gloss black automotive paint you can get at any auto parts store will match. That was the test I did I applied a little paint underneath to see if the paint would match and that it did. I did not want to buy a whole qt of paint and bust out the spray gun. The main thing you have to consider is how bad it is damaged. In my case it was not bad to the point of having to buy a whole new bumper. If the damage is slight "no cracks or holes" and it's below the crease it can be repaired.

With a sanding block work the area until it is smooth "no scratches" take some masking tape and some paper to protect from over spray stick the masking tape even horizontal above the highest point where you sanded and spray it enough to cover the area. If you build the paint too much when you remove the masking tape it will leave a visible line that will need to be blended in. Avoid any runs; if not you gotta start all over again with the sanding.

If this is too much work try the following:

Another route you can take in July's issue of muscle mustang and fast fords mag in the add for www.latemodelrestoration.com they have parts from crashed cars 2005-08 to include V6, GT, GT500 they might have what you need in your color if you get lucky at half the cost. Give them a call 1-877-257-6024. Hope this helped.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rico. In my case, though, it is already scuffed quite a bit, and by the time I am ready to retire this car from daily driver status, it may be beyond the point of no return. For that reason, I would like to have a backup ready to go.

Thanks for the suggestions, Rico. In my case, though, it is already scuffed quite a bit, and by the time I am ready to retire this car from daily driver status, it may be beyond the point of no return. For that reason, I would like to have a backup ready to go.

CA Special Front Fascia Base Part Number: 20049 you're dealer parts guy can get the full PN and order. They come primed and ready to paint the price is $399.

You can send an order to your dealer or print one at http://www.fordaccessories.com

Archived