TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New tires and wheels

FordEvangelist

Ok, finally got the TPMS bands in and the tires and wheels are on! Taking it for an alignment on Friday but she drives great! The spring/shock combo make her turn on a dime with minimal or no roll at all. Good stuff.

The TPMS stuff sucks but they guys at DiscountTire were great and got them installed correctly and I have no errors being thrown.

Next up are lower control arms and an adjustable upper link for the rear end.

Oh -

18x10 DD Bullitts in the back with 285/40-18 BFG-KDW.

18x9 DD Bullitts in the front with 255/45-18 BFG-KDW.

post-6383-1159326610_thumb.jpg

post-6383-1159326626_thumb.jpg

post-6383-1159326610_thumb.jpg

post-6383-1159326626_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys - it handles great! I take turns harder than necessary just to feel her glide through them :-]

I've really gotten used to the shifter, too and really beginning to appreciate it.

09GT500 - springs and shocks all the way.

Must.... resist.... engine.... mods.

For now anyway :baby:

FE: Those look nice. The Blue realy jumps out at ya. What did you do with the factory 17's. Trade?

Well, we had to take the sensors out of the factory wheels to use in my new ones. They remounted the original tires/wheels for me. I'm just going to try and sell them.

Anyone need a set of four 235/55-17's on 17" Mustang rims???? :) Only 144 miles on them!

Thanks guys - it handles great! I take turns harder than necessary just to feel her glide through them :-]

I've really gotten used to the shifter, too and really beginning to appreciate it.

09GT500 - springs and shocks all the way.

Must.... resist.... engine.... mods.

For now anyway :baby:

Well, we had to take the sensors out of the factory wheels to use in my new ones. They remounted the original tires/wheels for me. I'm just going to try and sell them.

Anyone need a set of four 235/55-17's on 17" Mustang rims???? :) Only 144 miles on them!

Hey, I was wondering if you checked into 18X10's all the way around. You obviously cannot rotate with the difference in diameter, and I think my rear tires may need rotating fairly quickly when I get my car eventually (burnout baby). I thought about those chrome bullits also, and even got talked into that blue color by my wife. The color is nice, and I am glad I just have a color choice now, I kept changing my mind until my wife set me straight. I might put that ford power pack and handling pack in the car though, later.

I think the 18 x10's rub when turning (in the front) :shrug:

Is that when you lower the car, may not do that if I like the handling the way it comes from the factory, then would the 18 X 10's be ok? I have heard of people running 20's on the car, you would thing the 18 x 10's woudl be ok, maybe right

Is that when you lower the car, may not do that if I like the handling the way it comes from the factory, then would the 18 X 10's be ok? I have heard of people running 20's on the car, you would thing the 18 x 10's woudl be ok, maybe right

Taller makes a difference which we all understand, but so does wider

With wider, you end up with two problems, the wider the tire or more distance out from the face of the hub, the closer you get to the fender opening or liner, whichever hits first. The other problem is the other side of the tire hitting the inside edge against the inner fender.

And yes, Discount Tire or ?? will likely know but I think its best the mount up the tire you want on the wheel size you want and make sure the thing will turn all the way through without hitting. Once you buy custom wheels, you might not be able to return them. So make em proove it before you pay.

We all have 2 cents worth and this is mine :cheerleader:

Hey, I was wondering if you checked into 18X10's all the way around. You obviously cannot rotate with the difference in diameter, and I think my rear tires may need rotating fairly quickly when I get my car eventually (burnout baby). I thought about those chrome bullits also, and even got talked into that blue color by my wife. The color is nice, and I am glad I just have a color choice now, I kept changing my mind until my wife set me straight. I might put that ford power pack and handling pack in the car though, later.

If you want the same size all around I'd go with the 18x9.5's. The only reason to go the same size all around is for rotating purposes I think. I plan on just doing a side-side rotation every 6000 miles by taking the car in and having them swap the tires. Small cost for prolonging tire life I think.

The 18x10's fit easily on the back - it's a pretty common setup on these cars. I'm sure someone has done it but I wouldn't put an 18x10 on the front - I just think it'll rub unless you went to a 255/40-18 instead of a 255/45-18 but then the front and rear tire heights would be different if that matters.

Yup, I was a Grabber Orange guy for a long time then I took the wife to look at one in person and she convinced me the Vista Blue was more suited for me.

But... you just gotta go with what makes you happy for sure.

On a side note - I had to order camber bolts for the car because there's not enough adjustment left after lowering it. No big deal really. They'll be in next week then I'll get the car aligned. After researching it appears that negative camber is a good thing for handling but bad for tires ;) I will probably have them had a "touch" of negative camber back in after they get it to spec.

Archived