TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 40th anniversary gt500?

KAM

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I know, FWIW...

I sent an email to the dealer, asking about the car. Chad Coates (Marketing) told me on the phone that it was indeed a 2008, because I told him that the 40th Anniversary packages were being offered on 2007's only. He thought the reserve was about $69K. When I asked what options were on the car, he said he would get back to me. Well, he did.

Today, he emailed jpg's of the window sticker and the SAI Sales Order for 07XL0280 (3 pages). As upgrades, it has short-throw shifter, 3.73 gears, along with chrome wheels;

the order date is May 15th (the week before I drop mine off; missed him by THAT much!);

the invoice date is June 4th;

cost of conversion was $15,179.80.

the VIN number translates to a 2008.

I emailed the jpg's to Bud, but I'm sure he already knew all this.

Here's what I think, FWIW...

Based on my call, and others I'm sure, Chad looked up info on the 40th package, and realized that this car could be rare. Hence (such a funny word, hence) the new statements in the ad.

They probably saw a better opportunity for a sale by adding the 40th package, so they asked for it. They may or may not have known about the 2007 restriction.

SAI missed the VIN number tip-off (the correct VIN number was on the Sales Order), and modded the car. Mistakes happen...

Now, there's a rare car out there. Kinda like a stamp that had the colours printed wrong, or rare coins with mistakes. What should SAI do?

- buy it back and crush it?

- buy it back and put it in the museum;

- buy it back and auction it?

- realize it slipped through, and say sorry?

What would YOU do if you had bought it on eBay, and it was now parked in your garage? Me, I'd definitely want to keep it.

My initial thought is that I haven't given this much thought. The car is built, it's real, and it belongs to someone. I'm glad SAI is looking into this, because the statement that only 500 of the 2007's would be made is important. I'm okay with this taking some time, but I do want to know how it's resolved. The 40th Anniversary purchasers are owed at least that much, as well as potential purchasers for the remaining packages.

Vogon,

Since you asked the question, I say leave it be. It'll be a rare 1 of 1 for '08.

Mistakes happen. From this error, i'm sure SAI will tighten things up as to prevent something like this happening again.

Props to whoever spotted this error......good observation !!

Mistakes happen, but this is a good one. I think SAI should buy it and return it to stock. Nobody should benefit from this. There's been a lot of policing when attempting to get parts and such, but how could a car slip by?

There are any number of ways to verify VIN codes - like Carfax - or the Ford VIN decoder page.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

It's built, it's out in the open. I say let this one go. Now, SAI can fix the system so this doesn't happen again.

I agree; however, I would also ask SAI to buy this one back for the reason listed by flyboy. Mistakes do happen. Regards.

Stuart

Still waiting for an answer. I was wondering why earlier posts talked about "waiting for Amy to get back". Amy doesn't build or process 40th upgrades. Since it appears a mistake has been made, (a whopper) It make sense that some official response is needed.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting...

All, we are getting the car back and it will be converted toa SS, it seems that dealer has a few cars here and we just messed up which ones we converted. We have checked all other cars done and this is the only one.

The auction ended, crisis ended :)

Amy

All, we are getting the car back and it will be converted toa SS, it seems that dealer has a few cars here and we just messed up which ones we converted. We have checked all other cars done and this is the only one.

Amy

:happy feet: YEAH!!!! Thanks, Amy. That's great news. And one for the books. Though I was sweatin this one. :happy feet:

Amy

Kudos. Very nicely handled.

Amy

Sounds good to me.

Can one of our dealer TS members explain "post title" to me. I thought these cars had to owned our ordered by a retail customer.

Amy

Thanks for the update Amy.

Amy

Amy,

Excellent solution. I knew you and the SAI crew would figure it out and come up with a sound conclusion. Thanks for the update. Regards.

Stuart

Who ever ends up with this car will have a great history to go with it. From a Gt 500 to a 40th Aniv. finally to a Super Snake .

Maybe it could go to the Barrett Jackson auction & the proceeds to the Shelby Childrens Foundation.

Why yes, b17drvr, yes, you did.

Hey - you don't fly Aluminum Overcast do you? I fly out of Leesburg VA and it was there last weekend - and I forgot to drop by.

No, I fly the Thunderbird out of the Houston area. I know a few of the Aluminum Overcast pilots. Great guys.

What do you fly?

Archived