TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rocker Stripes

I'm the very proud new owner of a black 07 SGT. It had 5200 miles on the clock when I bought it. The previous owner was kind enough to have the dealer put a Ford Racing Whipplecharger on the car after owning it for a year. All of the service paperwork came with the car. This is my fourth Mustang (so far), and after owning it for five days I still pinch myself when I see it in my garage. I sold my beloved '98 Cobra to help finance this one. On to the subject. This may be blasphemous, but I'm seriously considering removing the rocker stripes. I just think the car will look even more sleek and mean without them. If I do this but later want to bring the car back to it's original appearance, how would I go about doing so?

Want you to know that I've been lurking in the Forums for a few days now. This seems like a great bunch of people. I am very happy to count myself among you.

I'm the very proud new owner of a black 07 SGT. It had 5200 miles on the clock when I bought it. The previous owner was kind enough to have the dealer put a Ford Racing Whipplecharger on the car after owning it for a year. All of the service paperwork came with the car. This is my fourth Mustang (so far), and after owning it for five days I still pinch myself when I see it in my garage. I sold my beloved '98 Cobra to help finance this one. On to the subject. This may be blasphemous, but I'm seriously considering removing the rocker stripes. I just think the car will look even more sleek and mean without them. If I do this but later want to bring the car back to it's original appearance, how would I go about doing so?

Want you to know that I've been lurking in the Forums for a few days now. This seems like a great bunch of people. I am very happy to count myself among you.

First I love the stripes and people eyes always look down as you read their lips saying "Shelby"...they are classic on the car, but what ever makes you happy!

The issue with the stripes is availability. I would call Ford and/or SAI check to see what the policy is on buying stripes to replace them if removed. They are easily replaced in warranty or due to damage with the correct documentation. I wouldn't think there would be an issue but nice to have some documentation for many years later. Of course by then it may not matter anyway.

Welcome to Team Shelby and congratulations!

I'm sure you are loving the Whipple :) On the stripes: it is really your choice but like Jeff stated it is "classic Shelby" and in the end the choice is yours.

Enjoy your new ride.

Roger

First of all, Congratulations on your recent aquisition and Welcome to Team Shelby!

IMHO the stripes just make the car that much more beautiful and add to the Shelby mystique of the car. These cars are so close to the retro look of the older cars that it is scary at times. I see people pulling up behind me or beside me and raising their sunglasses and you can read their lips as they say SHELBY.

But, as the others have said, it's your car, do what you want to with it. I've certainly modded mine from original, and plan more mods down the road when I'm able to do so.

the rocker stripes are the easiest to remove. just get a corner up and peel them off.

their lack of availability from SAI shouldn't be a factor, as you can get any sign shop to duplicate them, using the same exact 3M vinyl, for a fraction of the cost.

I've enjoyed the clean look for a while, but I'll soon be getting the stripes painted on (not necessarily silver though).

sgtsc808024.jpg

I can vouch for how difficult it is to get official replacements. My car has been missing the driver's side stripe for close to a month (taken off to fix door ding) ...was told it will be another 2 weeks before they will have additional silver stripes in stock.

Congratulations on your new Shelby. It's your car, do what ever makes YOU happy. If we all liked the same mods it would be a boring world. You will get lots of opinions here if you ask though - just know that not everyone will like what you do or don't do.

First of all, thanks to all who've replied so far. I love this! Yes, we all know that opinions are like......never mind. But in my "opinion" that's the beauty of these forums. Different points of view expressed in a constructive way. All meant to help.

the rocker stripes are the easiest to remove. just get a corner up and peel them off.

their lack of availability from SAI shouldn't be a factor, as you can get any sign shop to duplicate them, using the same exact 3M vinyl, for a fraction of the cost.

I've enjoyed the clean look for a while, but I'll soon be getting the stripes painted on (not necessarily silver though).

sgtsc808024.jpg

Are those the agent 47 mirrors?

In my opinion the rocker stripes are a critical part of the whole Shelby package. Even though the car has Shelby lettering across the back, the rocker stripes are generally the first things that people notice about the car when it's in traffic or sitting at a stop light.

They also set the car apart from other V6 and GT Mustangs that have dealer installed LeMans striped on them, and the rocker stripes also bridge the connection with the early model Shelby's for obvious reasons. One other thing to consider too... if you do take the stripes off, then you will probably be subjected to every other person and their mother asking you if it's a real Shelby or a clone. You will answer their questions by telling them "yes, it's a real Shelby", but then you will have to answer their second question which will be, "so what happened to the stripes?" Answering those questions might be okay at first, but what about after the 100th time? :banghead: The 110th time? :chairshot: The 150th time? :waiting: The 200th time? :rant2: The 250th time? :boring: The 500th time? :cry:

But having said all that, it is your car and whatever changes you decide to do to it also reflects your taste and style. If you believe that the car would look better denuded, then by all means go forth and do as you like.

May I suggest taking a good, well lit (the car, not you :hysterical:) picture of your car and then photo shopping the stripes out of the picture to see how you like the look without making the hard commitment?

Good luck with your decision.

sgtsc808024.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Well, I love the stripes but looking at this here black SGT without the stripes, it's pretty dang mean looking. Very sleek. Looks like he removed the top stripes also or painted the scoop. It's strictly your choice and either way you can't go wrong. One thing for sure is that your car will be a very unique SGT. Make sure you post some picts of your car if you do remove them.

Welcome to the forum. Well, I love the stripes but looking at this here black SGT without the stripes, it's pretty dang mean looking. Very sleek.

I agree but it now looks like a regular GT with a lowered suspension.

Seems to me we all paid extras $$$$ for a "Shelby" and if you're going to go and remove the things that differentiate the car, such as the exclusive side stripes, it may have been less expensive to just get the FRP packages installed in a GT and forgo the rest.

IMHO!

Welcome to the forum. Well, I love the stripes but looking at this here black SGT without the stripes, it's pretty dang mean looking. Very sleek. Looks like he removed the top stripes also or painted the scoop.

thanks, man. yeah, I removed all of the stripes and they'll soon be painted on. the hood's a stock gt hood (original hood is in storage), as I didn't want to mess around with removing the shelby scoop until I was ready to get the stripes painted on.

jeff, for what I paid, no way would I be able to duplicate the sgt package. + if I bought a gt, it wouldn't be a shelby, and I don't care what anyone thinks, the silver stripes are NOT what makes it a shelby.

and as far as people thinking it's a fake, I honestly don't care.

jeff, for what I paid, no way would I be able to duplicate the sgt package. + if I bought a gt, it wouldn't be a shelby, and I don't care what anyone thinks, the silver stripes are NOT what makes it a shelby.

and as far as people thinking it's a fake, I honestly don't care.

Hey, don't get all mad at me! I just gave a response to another poster so please don't get upset just because I may feel differently than you on the stripes!

I said it's your car and do what makes you happy!

Your right, it's not the stripes that make it a Shelby, it's the passion that we have for our cars as evident by all of our responses to these posts. It's also what makes it so much fun and an honor to own such a great car. Stripes on or stripes off it's still a Shelby and that's what make a great car. I'm not taking mine off but if I did and it would look like that black SGT, I'd still consider it a privilege to own. IMHO.

Well in a sense it kind of is what makes up the "entire" Shelby GT. The stripe package and rocker stripes are what makes the car a completed "factory SAI" Shelby GT as you could not order the car without them. However you do not have to stay with the stripes as some GT500 owners have had the stripe delete but that was a factory delete and is listed on the Shelby registry as such. A stripe delete was not an option with the SGT package and most people like them as they ditinguish the car from a regular GT Mustang at first glance then the details come into play.

Such is life-

EDITED:

Being something of a traditionalist I was really on the fence about this stripe thing but after Nite posted his pic I was done. The stripes are gone, and I'm glad. Truth be told I nearly bought a Bullit because I've always been partial to the "clean" (shall I say "denuded"?) look. When I bought my 92 LX 5.0 I took the 5.0 badges off. My 96 GT. everythig went. The 98 Cobra, well, the snakes certainly stayed on that one but the SVT badges and Ford oval came off the tail end. Damn holes in the fenders on the 06 Mustang GT had to be covered with pony emblems. That's why my daughter's now driving that one. You get the idea. The fates were afoot when I saw (and drove) the 07 SGT that I wound up buying instead. I love the car even more now that I've put a whole 160 miles on it in eight days. Mostly just crusing around over the long weekend. Anyway, thanks again to all and it is a delight to count myself among you.

P.S. I had a long and interesting conversation with Jason at 281 Motorsports this afternoon. His shop is very close to my home. This is gonna be fun!

Archived