TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I'm going after my Front end RUST

Grabber

GT500's do not have any more rust that any other vehicle.

As Grabber said, it is only "SURFACE" rust.

The primary reason for this surface rust is when your GT500 was built. Look at your build dates.

If it was built during the Winter months (like a lot of cars) it probably has more surface rust than others built during the summer season.

The cars are driven (plant, stock yards, getting to the transport trucks, etc.) in the snow where salt has been applied.

This is not 100% of the reason for all rust; however, I think you will find it to be true most of the time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rob, I am bringing my 16 year old son too (who also has a mustang as his first car), looking forward to meeting you.

How many miles are on the shelby now?

The Dearborn event is going to be very fun indeed. :happy feet: What year Stang does your son have?

I have 4,862 miles on my car now. Due to the rocks and tar on the road, my car has been grounded lately. My roads are a mess and I can't risk the damage to my car. I even have a thread on there condition:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=32594&hl=

GT500's do not have any more rust that any other vehicle.

As Grabber said, it is only "SURFACE" rust.

The primary reason for this surface rust is when your GT500 was built. Look at your build dates.

If it was built during the Winter months (like a lot of cars) it probably has more surface rust than others built during the summer season.

The cars are driven (plant, stock yards, getting to the transport trucks, etc.) in the snow where salt has been applied.

This is not 100% of the reason for all rust; however, I think you will find it to be true most of the time.

Another reason for the rust is that the front end parts get chips and dings in them during production. I think they must be clanging around in a big bin or box. The tie rods had teeth marks on them from a plyers holding them during adjustment. Since the paint is so thin, those marks go down to the metal very easily...and then those chipped areas rust.

It's funny how my pic's show the work better than my old eyes can see. I can now see that I have a little more work to complete the job to my standards. I will be doing some more touch up work by putting my car up on my ramps this time.

The Dearborn event is going to be very fun indeed. :happy feet: What year Stang does your son have?

I have 4,862 miles on my car now. Due to the rocks and tar on the road, my car has been grounded lately. My roads are a mess and I can't risk the damage to my car. I even have a thread on there condition:

Nice job Grabber! I live in Ellensburg and they chip coat like crazy here. I have had to U turn in the middle of the road several times now to avoid this stuff. Right now I can't get out of my neighborhood because of a new sewer main down the middle of the road so I am grounded as well :banghead:

Nice job Grabber! I live in Ellensburg and they chip coat like crazy here. I have had to U turn in the middle of the road several times now to avoid this stuff. Right now I can't get out of my neighborhood because of a new sewer main down the middle of the road so I am grounded as well :banghead:

What part of WA do you live in. I'm in Battleground, by Vancouver.

What part of WA do you live in. I'm in Battleground, by Vancouver.

I live in Ellensburg on the other side of the mountains. Home of CWU and a top 5 outdoor rodeo (this weekend). I can't say I've been to Battleground, but my wife has a cousin in Portland that we visit occationally. It looks like you live in a rural area like me?

BTW what is the Dearborn event? I'm still a noob. Thx.

He has a fox bodied car. 1992 1/2 Summer Edition Feature car, with 14K original miles.

Here's a pic:

100_1295.jpg

Another reason for the rust is that the front end parts get chips and dings in them during production. I think they must be clanging around in a big bin or box. The tie rods had teeth marks on them from a plyers holding them during adjustment. Since the paint is so thin, those marks go down to the metal very easily...and then those chipped areas rust.

It's funny how my pic's show the work better than my old eyes can see. I can now see that I have a little more work to complete the job to my standards. I will be doing some more touch up work by putting my car up on my ramps this time.

Grabber- Once again awesome job on the how to's-It is very generous of you. Just curious- I know WA has its share of rain. Do you ever drive in the rain? Your wheelwells say no- but I would like to know beause I find I am getting a little frustrated by the rain which prevents me from driving my cars. A lot of my buddy's have urged me to drive in the rain saying " What do you wash your car with cleanboy??" making a reference to water and the fact that we wash the car with water so why be afraid of a little rain. I just hate the mess it makes under the car. Thanks for your reply.

He has a fox bodied car. 1992 1/2 Summer Edition Feature car, with 14K original miles.

That's a beautiful car. I just love the factory exhaust pipes on the older Mustangs. Your sons car has the same pipes as my sons. Very cool.

Grabber- Once again awesome job on the how to's-It is very generous of you. Just curious- I know WA has its share of rain. Do you ever drive in the rain? Your wheelwells say no- but I would like to know beause I find I am getting a little frustrated by the rain which prevents me from driving my cars. A lot of my buddy's have urged me to drive in the rain saying " What do you wash your car with cleanboy??" making a reference to water and the fact that we wash the car with water so why be afraid of a little rain. I just hate the mess it makes under the car. Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't drive my car in the rain. Same thing with my Harley Davidson. These are my fair weather fun rides.

I live in Ellensburg on the other side of the mountains. Home of CWU and a top 5 outdoor rodeo (this weekend). I can't say I've been to Battleground, but my wife has a cousin in Portland that we visit occationally. It looks like you live in a rural area like me?

BTW what is the Dearborn event? I'm still a noob. Thx.

Next time your down to Portland, let me know. Portland is only 1/2 hour from my place.

Yes, I do live outside the city limits. We have a little more room out here and less traffic.

Next time your down to Portland, let me know. Portland is only 1/2 hour from my place.

Yes, I do live outside the city limits. We have a little more room out here and less traffic.

Will do. Appreciate all your great posts. Been learning a ton. If you ever get an itch to check out the other side of the mountain let me know. After seeing your car it makes me want to go to work on mine... wait it's almost midnight... maybe tomarrow :lol:

My front end paint has 2 days cure on it. I noticed a couple missed spots in my first photos, so today I put my car up on my ramps and did some touch up to perfect the job a little better.

FrontendRustRepair-GT500050.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500051.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500052.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500053.jpg

I found myself looking at my cars rear too. :hysterical:

FrontendRustRepair-GT500059.jpg

FrontendRustRepair-GT500060.jpg

Okay Just finished painting my rear -end as I couldn`t stand looking at it after seeing GRABBERS. Also Went to the front done some touch-up & just applied a coat of wax on the under parts no real noticeable rust. Cleaned & waxed all wheels This took all day ,it is more work than I thought . Looks better than new. :happy feet:

Okay Just finished painting my rear -end as I couldn`t stand looking at it after seeing GRABBERS. Also Went to the front done some touch-up & just applied a coat of wax on the under parts no real noticeable rust. Cleaned & waxed all wheels This took all day ,it is more work than I thought . Looks better than new. :happy feet:

Do you have proof? :hysterical:

• 2 months later...
Most of you know that there is a lot of Rust under our GT500's and SGT's and S197 Mustangs.

Last Winter I took care of the rear end rust as shown in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=11229&hl=

Last Spring I took care of the Rusty driveline as shown in this thread:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...ic=25332&hl=

NOW IT'S TIME TO TAKE CARE OF THE FRONT END RUST.

Yes Front end rust. We all have it, trust me....just take a look and you will find it.

I don't drive my car in the rain at all and I have it, or should I say...HAD IT. It's gone now. (Note this is a 3 hour job)

Have any of the 2009 guys tackled this Rust issue ?

Honestly, Grabber, I have nothing on my 2008 SGT. I live inland in San Diego, not by the water. Has anyone figured out if the GT 500's seem to have more rust than the SGT's?

Jim

Here's a picture of a Shelby GT undercarriage. I took this picture at the 2008 Barrett Jackson event where Ford had some cars stacked. I would not showcase something like this at an autoshow for all to see.

The Shelby GT is just as prone to rust as any other Mustang with a bare metal axle.

SHLBY_GT_AXLE.jpg

Here's a picture of a Shelby GT undercarriage. I took this picture at the 2008 Barrett Jackson event where Ford had some cars stacked. I would not showcase something like this at an autoshow for all to see.

The Shelby GT is just as prone to rust as any other Mustang with a bare metal axle.

SHLBY_GT_AXLE.jpg

After some time....they all look like that. Gaurenteed.

SHLBY_GT_AXLE.jpg

I looked under my SGT while it was getting an oil change, and it looks just like that. The service manager said that all model mustangs do this.

Archived