TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood release before removing Pins

I'm sure someone has run into the dreaded pulling the latch before removing the pins and caused a crease in the hood near the pins?

I just noticed this on my hood (unfortanately, I didn't see this prior to taking delivery). It is hardly noticable unless your really looking for it.

Looking to see how others have corrected this? Only thing I can find in searching is dented plates but not dented hood?

I do have a call into the dealer for their take on it!

Consider purchasing the new hood pins made of thick billet aluminum so you won't get the dents and they look awesome. Look on the SPP website.

Or if you can't do that then hang a high voltage wire (exposed) right near your interior hood latch so that when ever you go to touch the latch you get electricuted. That should remind you to remove the pins. LOL

Consider purchasing the new hood pins made of thick billet aluminum so you won't get the dents and they look awesome. Look on the SPP website.

Or if you can't do that then hang a high voltage wire (exposed) right near your interior hood latch so that when ever you go to touch the latch you get electricuted. That should remind you to remove the pins. LOL

Already got plans to get the billet aluminum pin kit!

LOL on the electriction!! Problem isn't nor won't be me, it happened while on the dealer lot!!

I'm now looking to find the best way to get it fixed (i.e. what about this paintless dent repairs?) Mind you it is hardly noticeable unless your looking for it. Soooooo, I may just live with it. (I'm also waiting to see what the dealers take is on it).

I've thought about modifying the mechanical latch and re-routing the cable to the bottom of the bumper. That way you can ONLY open the hood from the outside by pulling it from under the bumper and thus be reminded to remove the pins first! If you're OUTSIDE the car, you'll remember why you're there and WHAT you have to do then?

Already got plans to get the billet aluminum pin kit!

LOL on the electriction!! Problem isn't nor won't be me, it happened while on the dealer lot!!

I'm now looking to find the best way to get it fixed (i.e. what about this paintless dent repairs?) Mind you it is hardly noticeable unless your looking for it. Soooooo, I may just live with it. (I'm also waiting to see what the dealers take is on it).

I had the same problem with mine. When replacing the hood pins with the billet Al youll probably find the paint and hood isnt damaged but only the flat metal plate. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Good Luck

Don't mean to hi=jack your thread but look at what one knuckle head co-worker did yesterday as he was looking at my SGT, he pulls the pin out and scratches my paint. I know it is only a small scratch but DAMN IT!!! :banghead:

I kind of yelled at him not to touch my car and he's like,whaaaat???? I tell you some people just should not touch other people's property.... :finger::finger:

Am I being too overprotective of my pride and joy?????

Its a small scratch to the left.....

DSC03196.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

I had the same problem with mine. When replacing the hood pins with the billet Al youll probably find the paint and hood isnt damaged but only the flat metal plate. I wouldnt worry too much about it. Good Luck

I can see a bubble crease in the Hood, however, maybe this will "pop" out when I remove the 4 screws?? At any rate, dealer called back and said for me to get an estimate to repair and they will split it with me.

It looks to me like a good body person will be able to "pop" it back into place!

I'm sure someone has run into the dreaded pulling the latch before removing the pins and caused a crease in the hood near the pins?

I just noticed this on my hood (unfortanately, I didn't see this prior to taking delivery). It is hardly noticable unless your really looking for it.

Looking to see how others have corrected this? Only thing I can find in searching is dented plates but not dented hood?

I do have a call into the dealer for their take on it!

Dealer replaced my plates TWICE, because they caused the dents. I bought the billet pin plates, but haven't installed them yet.

Don't mean to hi=jack your thread but look at what one knuckle head co-worker did yesterday as he was looking at my SGT, he pulls the pin out and scratches my paint. I know it is only a small scratch but DAMN IT!!! :banghead:

I kind of yelled at him not to touch my car and he's like,whaaaat???? I tell you some people just should not touch other people's property.... :finger::finger:

overprotective, no WAY!!

If it were me, it would have taken every ounce of blood in my body to have not decked him!

LOL!!!Trust me, I wanted to but can you imagine the consequences....oh well.....I'll just have to suck it up. :cry:

Get an estimate and send him the bill. Or you can just take him to Judge Judy, shell make him pay.

DSC03196.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

That's almost as bad as the guy I was talking to when I was at your local car show down there...we had the hood up, he was checking everything out and then tried to close the hood with the hood prop rod still in the hood...bent the crap out of the rod, I had to straighten it as best as I could to get it to lay down right again...you're right, some people just shouldn't tough other people's cars though...We need an invisible force field around these cars!

I feel your pain!

When I purchased my GT-H I had told the dealer not to touch it. Don't even wash it I said. Low and behold as I was walking to the rear of the dealer to get in the car and take it home they had one of their idiots screwing a hole through the front bumber to install a plate holder!!!!!

I completely freaked out as I had warned and asked several times for them to not touch the car. I was leaving the front bumper as I found it with NO PLATE bracket. Needless to say I have a plate bracket now.

Did I mention he made the hole in the wrong spot because he was installing the wrong bracket! I now have a plate bracket and a visible hole in the wrong spot.

Point is..............Don't let anyone touch your car unless you are with them.

Philip

I managed to dent my own w/in 2 weeks after I got my SGT, then I learned my lesson and it never happened again. The dents are barely noticable so no need to replace yet.

I feel your pain!

When I purchased my GT-H I had told the dealer not to touch it. Don't even wash it I said. Low and behold as I was walking to the rear of the dealer to get in the car and take it home they had one of their idiots screwing a hole through the front bumber to install a plate holder!!!!!

I completely freaked out as I had warned and asked several times for them to not touch the car. I was leaving the front bumper as I found it with NO PLATE bracket. Needless to say I have a plate bracket now.

Did I mention he made the hole in the wrong spot because he was installing the wrong bracket! I now have a plate bracket and a visible hole in the wrong spot.

Point is..............Don't let anyone touch your car unless you are with them.

Philip

Ha Ha, yeah, my dealer was prancing toward my car when my wife went to pick up the plates while I was out of town, and she had to stop him before he tried to mount one to the front of the car...she told him that I would be the one taking care of mounting the plates and she didn't think I was going to be putting one on the front of the car...she knew I would be up there getting arrested for murder if she let them touch my car...

This is a good nightmare thread.....

I had mine 2 days (one of the reasons i've been without for so long now) and I had one of my co-workers who wanted to check it out. I park in a parking garage at work and sometimes they park people directly behind us. Well, there was a car directly behind my SGT, but it was at least a foot or so between. I opened the door and he sat down to check everything out. He said he wanted to hear it so I handed him the keys. My first warning was him fiddling with the stick not knowing how to find nuetral. I told him to hold in the clutch and move it out of gear. Well, I turned around for just a second and lo and behold he takes the E-brake off and it rolls back into the car behind me. THANKFULLY it just nicked the tape on the bumper from the two little screws holding on the other plate....

My lesson learned: NOBODY'S A$$ sits in the driver seat but my OWN! I have sworn to myself if you want to get in and check things out, the passenger side should be sufficient and no, you can't start it, drive it or anything else that would require you to be in the pilots seat. Sorry!

I kind of yelled at him not to touch my car and he's like,whaaaat???? I tell you some people just should not touch other people's property.... :finger: :finger:

Ask him if he'd mind if you slept with his wife or kicked him in groin and see what he says. Same type of pain I'd feel if something happened to my baby! :wacko:

I also worry about the hood pins. I remove the pins when I take the car to the dealership for service and let them know why not to screw with them and give them the third degree on putting my baby on the hoist. I think they probably think I am a little weird. I printed up a warning label (large, red font) and have glued it to the edge of the kick panel next to the hood release. It is not visible unless the door is opened. I figured that at my age a reminder is a good idea and who knows when a well meaning person pops the hood for you without first removing the pins.

• 5 years later...

I bought stainless plates from Tony Branda approx 23.00 better than crap that came on car has ben on 6 years and no siies I dont let anyone touch my car!!! I used moly lube 135 to install we use in scuba industry to assemble disimilar metals ie steel ans alum used on screws and no ssies at all I keep them waxed and use care removing no mars at all.

Archived