TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Electrical Problem: Any educated guesses?

Boss Doctor

Since my wife had surgery last Friday, I didn't drive my GT500 from Friday afternoon to Thursday morning. The only time it was started was on Sunday to move it out of the garage, wash it, then back into the garage.

When I got into the car on Thursday morning and turned the key, the car starter, lights, stock alarm, dash indicators, and radio went crazy. The car acted like the battery was drained, so the above noises and lights were also weak. The alarm wouldn't reset, so I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes. When I reconnected the battery the car continued to do the same thing. I jump started it with my wife's car, and it's worked normally since.

The only thing electrical I've done to the car lately is adding sequential tail lights two weeks before, and the wires were taped after connection. Nothing that has not been wired into a switched circuit was left on, so I can only conclude that I have a short somewhere.

Any ideas as to a course of action?

Since my wife had surgery last Friday, I didn't drive my GT500 from Friday afternoon to Thursday morning. The only time it was started was on Sunday to move it out of the garage, wash it, then back into the garage.

When I got into the car on Thursday morning and turned the key, the car starter, lights, stock alarm, dash indicators, and radio went crazy. The car acted like the battery was drained, so the above noises and lights were also weak. The alarm wouldn't reset, so I disconnected the battery for a couple of minutes. When I reconnected the battery the car continued to do the same thing. I jump started it with my wife's car, and it's worked normally since.

The only thing electrical I've done to the car lately is adding sequential tail lights two weeks before, and the wires were taped after connection. Nothing that has not been wired into a switched circuit was left on, so I can only conclude that I have a short somewhere.

Were the new seq tail lights the plug and play type?

This happened to me with my Mustang GT and there are no mods to that car other than CAI and tune. Once I jump started the car and let the battery charge awhile the problem was gone. I just assumed it was a battery issue because I have kept the battery charged since then and I have had no problems but I don't know for sure. :headscratch:

Were the new seq tail lights the plug and play type?

They required connecting a new blub plug and some splicing, but I made sure to properly recess the bare wire into the connectors, crimp them snugly, and then taped them up with electrical tape. I'll check again this weekend, but I don't see how they could be grounding out. I thought maybe the sequentials themselves could be draining power, but power should only be going to the unit when initiated by the driver's actions. But then again, the key being off should cut power too.

The best way to check is see if you have a draw on the vehicle. Disconnect negative battery cable, find a digital voltmeter, hook in series with the negative cable and switch meter to amps. It should read below .05 amps after 30 minutes or so with vehicle off.

Most likely it is just your battery.

The best way to check is see if you have a draw on the vehicle. Disconnect negative battery cable, find a digital voltmeter, hook in series with the negative cable and switch meter to amps. It should read below .05 amps after 30 minutes or so with vehicle off.

Most likely it is just your battery.

Thank you, I'll certainly try that. I have a multimeter although I never really learned how to use it.

Thank you, I'll certainly try that. I have a multimeter although I never really learned how to use it.

Just make sure you put in on dc amps, move the red wire to the 10amp hole. Just disconnect the negative cable, hook one end up to battery cable and other to post on battery. Turn the key on and off, it will read pretty high at first then start going down when modules start going asleep. If it stays over .05 for like over a hour you may have a draw. If so, start pulling fuses, but don't open doors or it will cause a higher draw reading due to the interior lights coming on. Again, most likely your battery but never hurts to be for sure since it is so easy to check for draw.

Just make sure you put in on dc amps, move the red wire to the 10amp hole. Just disconnect the negative cable, hook one end up to battery cable and other to post on battery. Turn the key on and off, it will read pretty high at first then start going down when modules start going asleep. If it stays over .05 for like over a hour you may have a draw. If so, start pulling fuses, but don't open doors or it will cause a higher draw reading due to the interior lights coming on. Again, most likely your battery but never hurts to be for sure since it is so easy to check for draw.

Thank you very much.

I'll bet 10 dollars you have had a "wet" season in the "Volunteer State" Chances are you have an invisible film of corrosion on your NEG/POS battery terminals. Clean em w/ steelwool or scotchbrite pad. (wanna bet?)

Mark AKA: Super-bee_ski (2 2007 GT500s and a ..."yup its a Hemi" 1970 Superbee.

snake doc

do you have a radar detector?

if i forget to turn my radar detector off.... the battery will go low in 2-3 days and i will get the same thing as you are describing.

some have wired their detectors to power up and down with the car... but if you plug into the lighter socket it will stay on.

otherwise is probably just the alarm ystem draining your battery.... but shouldn't happen that fast?

Ron

Due to family drama this weekend I wasn't able to check the system with the multimeter, but I will have the battery checked first.

The sequentials still function properly.

The RADAR detector was off, and so was the LASER jammer. I have both wired to switches in the console.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Steve

Archived