TEAM SHELBY FORUM

First Impressions

I was able to put 150 miles on the new ride yesterday. Overall, my impression of the car is that they did a real nice job but did cheese out in some areas.

This is a link to what I am comparing it too....

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech...rger/index.html

This was the first 05 supercharged mustang on the planet. I had all the BMR suspension, eibach springs, and stainless works headers/exhaust.

The car did make well over 500hp with more tuning than we had done for the magazine article, and another 60lbs of tq.

Power :

The power stock is pretty impressive. Considiering how much tip in spark retard they have in it, it even comes in pretty quick. Just a few tweaks in

the software will make it feel much lighter and responsive. Im certainly impressed with the instantaneous torque that is available (after spark is put back in).

I do think at 500hp rear wheel hp, the 05 felt way faster, more because the blower is much more peaky than the GT500. With simple mods however,

I do feel the GT500 will bury the 05 as far as feel goes due to the instant power.

Handling :

Hands down the GT500 wins out here. Even after the upgrades I had done to the 05 I feel that the GT500 has a much better ride, but stiffens up real

fast once you get a little aggressive. With the sticky tires and the pan-hard bar it does get a little dicey on bumpy exit ramps. I did not feel that as pronounced

in the 05. I'm caulking that up to the wheels/tire combination. The thing I like about it the most is that it rides like a luxury car. It doesn't feel like a mustang

until you jump on it.

Interior :

I'm still disappointed that they didn't do the red stitching on the brow and center console like in the concept. That was beautiful in my opinion. The seats

are WAY better than the GT. It's about time they made a seat that holds you there when you corner. It's not on par with the seats in some of the GM and

Chrysler performance cars, but it's certainly a bunch better than normal Ford seats. I'm also a little disappointed at how easily the center console scratches.

Just cleaning off some goo that was left over from delivery I scratched it. I love the gage cluster although it's tough getting used to the gages being swapped.

The ambient lighting will most likely remain off, but I do like some of the mycolor settings for the gage cluster way better than what I had in my GT. Oh, the

biggest peave that I have is that there is no dead pedal and the Shaker 1000 head unit still sucks. Does anyone make a nice dead pedal that matches the

stock pedals?

One of my tripps last night was to take my 2 year old up to Maine to see her grandmother. Does anyone have recommendations for a car seat that fits down

in the rear buckets nicely? I tried three of the ones that I have (sitting on a towel of course). They all wanted to lean one way or the other. Being that this will

be a nice day daily driver, and I do kiddie drop off in the morning, I do need to solve this problem.

Sound :

ICK! I hate the exhaust. It sounds to me like it is plugged. I felt the GT stock had a better sound, and certainly had a better sound after the stainless works

system was installed. I've always run X-Pipes in my street and race cars, and I really like the sound. I just don't like how it is on this car at all.

Clutch :

It chatters already. Was doing it when I pulled out of the dealer. What are peoples experience with that. My car was built on Aug 6th, so I am hopping that it

already has the most recent parts. Other than that, I like the feel of it. Being that I ran a stick in my 8 second NMRA Renegade car, I am picky about clutches.

So far, other than a little chatter, I's very predictable and precise, which is surprising for a factory hydraulic unit. The shifter is a joke however. Even when it goes

into gear, it's hard to tell... that will be changed out shortly.

Exterior :

Don't need to say much here. The car is bad ass. It needs to be lowered a little, and a KR hood would help, but It is really sweet. I did notice that there is masking

tape on the upper back side of the front bumper cover on both sides that is sandwiched between the cover and the fender. Looks like I'm going to have to

unbolt the front cover to get that out. Did anyone have the same issue? Or did they replace my bumper cover while it sat at the train yard for 12 days?

While I pointed out more negatives than positives, it doesn't really tell the whole story. For a production car, this thing is amazing and being that I can't leave anything

alone, it is an amazing platform to start with. At 650rwhp, with stock driveability and a more aggressive suspension, this car will be a blast to drive. I've been talking

to my buddy Jimmy Larocca about some of the available packages out there and am starting to narrow my selection down. I'll keep you guys updated on the

progress. He is recommending the TVS (see the October MM&FF). He loves it so far, and I am leaning that way due to the 2.9 Whipple being vaporware.

Here are a couple pics of it coming off the carrier.

post-750-1219932291_thumb.jpg

post-750-1219932301_thumb.jpg

post-750-1219932291_thumb.jpg

post-750-1219932301_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have recommendations for a car seat that fits down

in the rear buckets nicely?

I can't help you with a specific full car seat suggestion, but I've found that the Clek Olli booster seat for older kids, with the latch system, fits well and doesn't wallow around in the deep rear seat bolsters.

Clek Olli pictures showing latch system bar in the back.

If you look for a smaller, narrower, non-SUV sized car seat with the latch system on the back, it would be a good bet to work. The latches on the lower back part of the child seat extend through openings in the auto upolstry and clamp onto rings underneath. This stops the tilting syndrome. Because the rear seat belt latches are buried somewhat in the upolstry, the car seat width is a significant factor with the latch sytem, because you can't easily move the seat base to the side to access the seat belt latch.

Clutch :

It chatters already. Was doing it when I pulled out of the dealer. What are peoples experience with that. My car was built on Aug 6th, so I am hopping that it already has the most recent parts. Other than that, I like the feel of it. Being that I ran a stick in my 8 second NMRA Renegade car, I am picky about clutches.

So far, other than a little chatter, I's very predictable and precise, which is surprising for a factory hydraulic unit. The shifter is a joke however. Even when it goes into gear, it's hard to tell... that will be changed out shortly.

The TSB that Ford has out for the clutch includes your car too. FoMoCo won't do a running line change until they go from Job 1 to Job 2, etc, so the clutch and flywheel that was installed in your car in August will be the same as the ones they originally installed in my car back in 2006. They won't be installing the new flywheel and clutch assembly until they start production on the 2010 cars.

You made me feel a little better about my ability with this clutch. If a guy who drives an 8 second car had issues with the engagement.

The mods I've done made a big improvement in the car, but yes I want the TVS too.

Oh, the mufflers they put on this car suck, get rid of those boat anchors quick.

Enjoy

This is the second Mustang I have had clutch chatter on. The 1st smoothed out after several thousand miles. My Shelby did the same thing. Either I am getting better with the clutch or it is smoothing out. I figured I had buggered up the surfaces learning to use it.

I have not had wheel hop I have read from others. Could this be mistaken for chatter?

This is the second Mustang I have had clutch chatter on. The 1st smoothed out after several thousand miles. My Shelby did the same thing. Either I am getting better with the clutch or it is smoothing out. I figured I had buggered up the surfaces learning to use it.

I have not had wheel hop I have read from others. Could this be mistaken for chatter?

No, not in anyway shape or form! When it happens you will feel it. It happened to me once and it felt like the whole rear end of the car like popped up to the front and went back!

I swore I broke something!

Oh, the biggest peave that I have is that there is no dead pedal and the Shaker 1000 head unit still sucks. Does anyone make a nice dead pedal that matches the

stock pedals?

Just preference but I like this one:

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.com/Show...ad%20Pedal.aspx

post-6216-1219976199_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your new baby and enjoy the mod game.

post-6216-1219976199_thumb.jpg

No, not in anyway shape or form! When it happens you will feel it. It happened to me once and it felt like the whole rear end of the car like popped up to the front and went back!

I swore I broke something!

I have had wheel hop in other vehicles - just not this one - yet. Just thinking since it hasn't happened to me yet that maybe some folks thought that is what it was. I don't want that to happen - as you explained - in other rides I thought something broke. What kind of take of were you doing when it happened?

Well well well..it's about time Mike Freedman surfaced again. Given some of the clues given in your write up, not to mention your pic in the article you linked to, you are indeed the same hack tuner that rightfully owes me $500 for the incompetent attempt at tuning my car...not to mention others at various dyno shops in MA and/or the New England area. Yes YOU!!!

This bonehead tried to tune my supercharged Mach 1 and failed miserably. Couldn't make any power to say the least. Finally as a last ditch effort he tried to just throw a bunch of timing at it, what the hell it's not his car. Luckily he didn't blow it up like he has to others while doing his hack jobs on the dyno. Yes YOU! I have reputable sources so don't even try to deny it!

He tried to tell me I had compression problems, clogged cats, bad MAF meter, etc. Bottom line is that he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

After finding out the truth about Mr. Freedman I ended up taking it to one place to get diagnosed and they told me there was absolutely wrong and then I went to a reputable place for competent tuning. Low and behold I come out after 3 pulls with awesome numbers on a safe tune.

Yeah, I have been putting the word out on this guy whenever possible and I will continue to do so.

Whenever he decides to make good on his errors by repaying me the $500 he basically stole from me, I'll stop the bad mouthing.

Sorry for the rant and airing dirty laundry in public, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to get their money back from this guy. I have compared notes with others after he tuned their cars and the story is the same...I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!

Fair warning to any that may want to deal with him in the future.

DS

I have had wheel hop in other vehicles - just not this one - yet. Just thinking since it hasn't happened to me yet that maybe some folks thought that is what it was. I don't want that to happen - as you explained - in other rides I thought something broke. What kind of take of were you doing when it happened?

I'm pretty sure it was around 3500 rpms then just lettin her loose.

Well well well..it's about time Mike Freedman surfaced again. Given some of the clues given in your write up, not to mention your pic in the article you linked to, you are indeed the same hack tuner that rightfully owes me $500 for the incompetent attempt at tuning my car...not to mention others at various dyno shops in MA and/or the New England area. Yes YOU!!!

DS

I'm not sure who you are given that you don't post with your name. As i am very concerned about customer service, and making people happy, I am surprised to see a post like this, especially since I haven't been contacted by you at all. I stand behind my work, and always have. I also am registered with my real name on all the boards, my email address is current, and the dyno shops know how to reach me. I have been tuning twice as long as anyone else in NE, and if what you say is the norm, I would imagine I would have seen more posts like this given that I have tuned hundreds of cars. Although you can't make everyone happy, I tend to be very successful. I'd certainly like to know which car this was, where it was dynoed, and what the symptoms were that you are talking about. I also would like to know if you were at the dyno when the car was tuned. If indeed this was something that I did wrong, I'd be glad to refund your money. I don't do this for a living, I do this for fun and I take great pride in what I do. Infact, I tend to spend way more time on problem cars than I should. So again, I ask who you are, when your car was tuned, and what problems you had so I can research this in an attemp to make it right. I also do keep a copy of every tune that I put in a car and would be more than willing to provide the tuneup to compare against what is in there now.

I also PMd you my phone number. I'll be around tonight and all weekend.

Michael Freedman

Getting back on topic somewhat

Clutch chatter is just that and should not be confused with rear wheel hop. You can't mistaken wheel hop....your fillings will come loose!!

Another trait to these "stock" cars is that LOUD BANG on HARD accel from 1st to 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd. When you hear it for the first time you'll know it immediately because you'll crap yourself. You may even pull over thinking you broke something. THAT's how loud it is. Happened to me 4 times so far (but i only crapped myself just once).

DS

John,

Thanks for calling me this evening. I'm happy that you are giving me the chance to make this right. I only wish I would have heard about this two years ago when you were initially dissapointed. I did some research and found, as I suspected, that your car was one of the first cars that NED had problems with the wheels spinning on the dyno. As it turns out, there were several cars over a several week period that I felt weren't showing their full potential and after some time figured out that it was indeed wheel spin, even on low hp, NA cars. Unfortunately, being one of, if not the first displaying this problem, I didnt realize it. Knowing that your combination should make much more power than it did, I spent several hours trying to diagnose the problem to no avail. I believe the last pull we made on the dyno was at 2:15am. I tried everything and was left scratching my head. Your car just didn't show the hp that it should. Under normal circumstances, if the dyno was working properly, if there was a problem with the car where it wasn't making the hp that it should, I still get paid for my time. Unfortunately, the dyno was not functioning properly, and while I neither own the dyno, or work for NED (Im independant), I will take some responsibility for not realizing that there was a problem with the dyno. If you feel that you are entitled to the full $500 from me, regardless of the time spent and the fact that I am independant from the dyno, I would be happy to refund the full amount.

Attached below are two graphs from dyoing your car that I had NED send me this evening. The top shows the basic hp/tq, while the bottom shows RPM vs Gear Ratio. Gear Ratio is calculated as RPM/MPH. When making a pull, this should show a perfectly straight line as the gear ratio (from engine to wheels) does not change in a stick car as rpm increases. The fact that it changes can only be caused by wheel spin on the dyno. In fact, your car was boiling the tires on the dyno. Even so, I think we showed 415hp which is surprising considering the amount of wheel spin. In fact, your car was making substantially more hp/tq than what was displayed. While this is something that most dyno shops do not monitor, It is something that I monitor religiously now. Another indication of wheel spin is the fact that the TQ curve goes flat as you can see in the graph. Unfortunately it is something I had not experienced before your car, and thus didn't know to look for it. In fact, I spent many many hours, on several cars, to the point where I had to stop tuning until the problem was figured out. I lost alot of time, and money due to this problem again that I had no control over. NED has a solution to the problem now, but then we just didnt know. So under the circumstances, I did the best that I could. Being that I don't own or work for NED, I can only work with the equipment that is provided to me.

If you, or anyone for that matter has any questions, please let me know.

Michael Freedman

post-750-1220057200_thumb.jpg

post-750-1220057200_thumb.jpg

Archived