TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Stolen car recovered

fastfords

Got a call from the police stating my former car was recovered. I was able to get some addtional information from another source as well. Apparently the guy was being watched for other infractions. When the search warrant was executed the car was found in the garage with the plate still on it apparently untouched. Funny part is that is was less than 10 miles from where I live. Can't believe it has been sitting for 5 months. For the moment it is at the mercy of the tow yard. :cry:

Got a call from the police stating my former car was recovered. I was able to get some addtional information from another source as well. Apparently the guy was being watched for other infractions. When the search warrant was executed the car was found in the garage with the plate still on it apparently untouched. Funny part is that is was less than 10 miles from where I live. Can't believe it has been sitting for 5 months. For the moment it is at the mercy of the tow yard. :cry:

That's good to hear. Now you'll have to let her go, and it will make a great car for someone. Unless you give up the new one :doh:

Wow, stupid criminal. How many miles had he put on it?

Glad the car was found unharmed and I think it would be awesome if you're able to buy it back. I'd give you back the letters you sold me but they're on the car already.....lol

Please keep us updated on this story.

WOW FF, I am truly amazed! As others have already posted, I thought that your car would have been either over the border or in pieces by now. In many respects, your lucky that the thief was so stupid or paranoid or both.

I also agree with the others that it would be really great if you could buy the car back from your insurance company, not to mention that they should apologize to you for insinuating that you had something to do with the theft. Yes, I know that many people participate in insurance fraud everyday, and that's why your insurance company asked you those questions about your debt ratio and such, but I still think that it was rude and cheesy for them to take that approach with you under the circumstances.

But regardless of all that, it's good to see that justice will prevail, and I hope that the scumbag creepazoid gets the book thrown at him at that he gets locked up for a good, long, time. Please don't let the DA plea bargain the guy down to probation or something light like that. Tell them you want the SOB prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

May I suggest that you also have a conversation with the impound yard's owner and let him know to tell his staff not to abuse the car? I say that because people that work at those yards have a tendency to either abuse or neglect (steal parts off of them) impounded cars especially if they think that the car is just going to go to auction. They really can't be held accountable, so they will remove parts and then say that's how the car came in to them. I say that from personal experience from a theft recovery that I was involved with several years ago. We knew that the car came into the yard in pristine condition, but by the time it was released by the PD, the yard employees stole several items off of the car and then claimed it had come in that way.

Just a thought...

It was probably to wait out the statute of limitations.

That's clever, except for the whole "possession of stolen property" thing. Sounds like he stole it to take it for a joy ride, and then didn't know what the hell to do with it once he was done. I'm glad you had restraint. I would've showed up at his arraignment, found out who he was and where he lived, and well....

I reaally hope the impound yard guys leave this car intact. They can be vultures.

That's clever, except for the whole "possession of stolen property" thing. Sounds like he stole it to take it for a joy ride, and then didn't know what the hell to do with it once he was done. I'm glad you had restraint. I would've showed up at his arraignment, found out who he was and where he lived, and well....

I reaally hope the impound yard guys leave this car intact. They can be vultures.

From what I understand, the statute of limitations on grand theft auto is only a few years, therefore if he was to keep it hidden for that long, essentially after the statute is up he is free and clear, and can essentially claim the car as his without criminal liability. Could it still be a civil thing? I don't know, I am no lawyer, but i'll ask one. If the car was in that kind of shape after being gone that long, the thief obviously had motives other than parting it out or selling it, either one of those could have been done very easily.

The original claim was settled 4 months ago. The insurance company will not offer to let me buy the salvage. At this point it goes up for auction. I have no information on the thief. I am waiting to see the photos on the auction site to see how it looks and what the mileage is.

The original claim was settled 4 months ago. The insurance company will not offer to let me buy the salvage. At this point it goes up for auction. I have no information on the thief. I am waiting to see the photos on the auction site to see how it looks and what the mileage is.

If you can get the info on the auction, you can try to get it there. If they won't let you bid at the auction, have a friend do it for you and then buy the salvaged car from him for $1.

There are legal ways around almost all of the rules.

I hope the thief gets what he deserves. I remember the story earlier this year. I am glad you got a new Shelby, fastfords.

If you can get the info on the auction, you can try to get it there. If they won't let you bid at the auction, have a friend do it for you and then buy the salvaged car from him for $1.

There are legal ways around almost all of the rules.

The insurance company gave me the information on the auction. Anyone is allowed to bid after a $120 registration fee.

Statute of limitations ONLY protects against bringing of criminal charges and prosecution.

Stolen property is ALWAYS returned to the owner REGARDLESS of how long. Title cannot transfer on something that was stolen...EVER. That's why you see paintings which have hung in museums for 100 years get returned to the owner. They were stolen in the civil war/WWI/WWII or whatever. You pop up 100 years, prove it was stolen and you were the rightful heir, it is yours...EVEN if the current owner bought it on good faith.

From what I understand, the statute of limitations on grand theft auto is only a few years, therefore if he was to keep it hidden for that long, essentially after the statute is up he is free and clear, and can essentially claim the car as his without criminal liability. Could it still be a civil thing? I don't know, I am no lawyer, but i'll ask one. If the car was in that kind of shape after being gone that long, the thief obviously had motives other than parting it out or selling it, either one of those could have been done very easily.

• 1 month later...
Statute of limitations ONLY protects against bringing of criminal charges and prosecution.

Stolen property is ALWAYS returned to the owner REGARDLESS of how long. Title cannot transfer on something that was stolen...EVER. That's why you see paintings which have hung in museums for 100 years get returned to the owner. They were stolen in the civil war/WWI/WWII or whatever. You pop up 100 years, prove it was stolen and you were the rightful heir, it is yours...EVEN if the current owner bought it on good faith.

in this case the rightful owner is the insurance company

You are correct. They own the car now. I got the plate in the mail a few weeks ago. That belongs to me. Arizona is a plate holding state. I already got a credit for the balance of the registration when the loss was settled.

Car finally goes to auction next week. I am going to put a bid in on it. I will let you all know how it goes. I am looking forward to the chance to see it again anyway.....

You are correct. They own the car now. I got the plate in the mail a few weeks ago. That belongs to me. Arizona is a plate holding state. I already got a credit for the balance of the registration when the loss was settled.

Car finally goes to auction next week. I am going to put a bid in on it. I will let you all know how it goes. I am looking forward to the chance to see it again anyway.....

Good luck. Hope you can get it back! It would be some kind of justice I think. Make sure everyone at the auction knows it was your car!

Archived