TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some advice.

howlingjay

I have a chance to buy a GT 500 for $5,000 over MSRP. The problem is I have never paid much more than invoice for any car. So it is a hard thing to do. I guess I just need some reassurance that this car is worth the money.

If you are not sure just post the name of the dealer on here. Your mind will be made up real quick :hysterical:

Seriously though, do what you feel is right.

I have a chance to buy a GT 500 for $5,000 over MSRP. The problem is I have never paid much more than invoice for any car. So it is a hard thing to do. I guess I just need some reassurance that this car is worth the money.

Ha.....welcome to our world!

I guess it boiles down to wanting one now or waiting until they are offered at MSRP to everyone....

Couple things to remember....

I am being told by my dealer that there is a price increase coming... NO, he is not trying to get me to buy... I have taken delivery.

Don't know where you are located, but in Ontario, I am being told that Toronto area dealers are selling at $5k over MRSP, others like Kitchener and Waterloo are only $1k over MSPR.... but they are close to selling out of their 2008 allocation...

From reading these posts, $5k seams to be a low markup for US dealers...??

Tough call no matter how you look at it. I knew I wanted one as soon as I read about them and headed directly to my dealer and ordered before any $$$ were quoted... so, I would because I wouldn't want to waite, but I am crazy and it is easy to spend other's money... You will have to live with your decission.

didn't help did I..... sorry...

Bert

One thing for sure, at that price, it will not last long and you could be :banghead: if you waite to long. The way I figure it, if all the other basic needs in life for you and your family are taken care of, and your comfortable. Go for it. You can't take it with you when you die, and who ever is in your will when you do, will be one proud person with that car. Whats your gut tell you. Is the wife cool with it. Those are the 2 most importand things for me.

+/- MSRP is irrelevent. Ask yourself one question...

If there was no price tag on the car, what is it worth to you? This may require some time alone - be honest with yourself.

A lot of people get hung up on price relative to MSRP. I say MSRP is fiction - it's nothing but a meaningless and artificial reference point. Since I know from experience what this statement is going to start, let me continue...

ASSUMPTION: you can afford it

Given:

All cars depreciate

It will be worth less the minute you sign the papers.

The more you pay, the bigger the hit.

Conclusion: If you plan to keep the car for a long, long time, then it really doesn't matter. If you think you'll be ready to move on to another vehicle in 2-3 years, then wait (or explore leasing it).

P.S: if you think you'll be tired of it after 2 years, then maybe you're just not that in to it anyway (could be a t-shirt).

NOTE: $5k over is a good deal in the current market

...flame suit activated

Guest evilchris

MSRP is irrelevant my ass. MSRP was created so the manufacturer could let the customer know when the dealer was assraping them.

People aren't expected to be automotive experts and have the knowledge to assess the value of a mass produced vehicle.

You say it's irrelevant because you want the ability to make a crapload of commission for doing absolutely no work.

MSRP is there so people like you (dealers) can't mislead the public and abuse them without their knowledge. Your statement is also quite hypocritical since you complain when customers pay less than MSRP.

MSRP is irrelevant my ass. MSRP was created so the manufacturer could let the customer know when the dealer was assraping them.

People aren't expected to be automotive experts and have the knowledge to assess the value of a mass produced vehicle.

You say it's irrelevant because you want the ability to make a crapload of commission for doing absolutely no work.

MSRP is there so people like you (dealers) can't mislead the public and abuse them without their knowledge. Your statement is also quite hypocritical since you complain when customers pay less than MSRP.

How's the cool aid in your parts? Pretty darn good from the looks of it!

The value of something is entirely up to the buyer. Since when have I complained about someone paying less than MSRP? But I do complain when people won't pay more than invoice. Furthermore, I don't think you have any idea how much work goes in to selling a vehicle. It can be easy sometimes, but often it is not. You can say a lot of things about car salesmen, but that doesn't mean the job is easy.

I say MSRP is irrelevant precisely because no one ever pays MSRP. The dealer's profit is determined only by the selling price relative to invoice (really, invoice-holdback). MSRP is rarely a factor - at best a reference point. Even most lending institutions don't use MSRP as a guide - they use invoice.

Furthermore, the only real constraint on selling price is dealer cost. Ultimately, this is the determining factor as to whether or not a dealer makes a deal. For example, when a customer comes to me and says what's your "best price" (for any vehicle) and I ask "what are you willing to pay," 99% of the time the customer says, again, "what's your best price." This tells me Mr(s) Customer has made no attempt to determine what the car is worth to them and they are only looking for a relative deal - i.e. not one based on relation to MSRP, but one based on what other dealers are trying to get. Guess what - that "best" price is based on invoice...not MSRP.

Prices gravitate and center around cost for any product in addition to supply and demand. As prices fall on the GT500, it's not because there's this magical gravitaional force sucking everything towards MSRP. It's simply supply and demand requiring dealers to price the car more competitively. Depending on the market forces, the price will be above or below MSRP, not because of MSRP, but because of what prices people are finding at competing dealers, and as long as that price is above invoice it's all cool - again, invoice is the ultimate point of reference, not MSRP.

If MSRP is the magic number for you, then please, please buy a truck from me - make me a hero!! Of course it's not - you will base the price you're willing to pay on invoice - isn't that how you bought your Mustang?

How's the cool aid in your parts? Pretty darn good from the looks of it!

The value of something is entirely up to the buyer. Since when have I complained about someone paying less than MSRP? But I do complain when people won't pay more than invoice. Furthermore, I don't think you have any idea how much work goes in to selling a vehicle. It can be easy sometimes, but often it is not. You can say a lot of things about car salesmen, but that doesn't mean the job is easy.

I say MSRP is irrelevant precisely because no one ever pays MSRP. The dealer's profit is determined only by the selling price relative to invoice (really, invoice-holdback). MSRP is rarely a factor - at best a reference point. Even most lending institutions don't use MSRP as a guide - they use invoice.

Furthermore, the only real constarint on selling price is dealer cost. Ultimately, this is the determining factor as to whether or not a dealer makes a deal. For example, when a customer comes to me and says what's your "best price" (for any vehicle) and I ask "what are you willing to pay," 99% of the time the customer says, again, "what's your best price." This tells me Mr(s) Customer has made no attempt to determine what the car is worth to them and they are only looking for a relative deal - i.e. not one based on relation MSRP, but based on what other dealers are trying to get. Guess what - that "best" price is based on invoice...not MSRP.

Rat,

I agree with most of what you say, but I would not call the MSRP irrelevant. I think one purpose it serves is that it allows the customer to know APPROXIMATELY what the car would sell for BEFORE they go to all the trouble of driving to the dealer, spending time with a sales person, and checking out the vehicle. If I'm in the market for a new car and have $30,000 to spend, but I read about an Acura that I think I'll like, I want to know whether it's in the ballpark of what I can afford before going to all the trouble stated above. In other words, I see it as a preliminary screening tool.

Dave

Rat,

I agree with most of what you say, but I would not call the MSRP irrelevant. I think one purpose it serves is that it allows the customer to know APPROXIMATELY what the car would sell for BEFORE they go to all the trouble of driving to the dealer, spending time with a sales person, and checking out the vehicle. If I'm in the market for a new car and have $30,000 to spend, but I read about an Acura that I think I'll like, I want to know whether it's in the ballpark of what I can afford before going to all the trouble stated above. In other words, I see it as a preliminary screening tool.

Dave

This is a fair statement, especially when it comes to cars that don't have rebates and steap discounts. For Acura's, Lexuses (Lexi?), etc, the MSRP is in the ballpark of what the ultimate selling price will be.

However, when it comes to domestic brands it's a bit different. Take an Expedition for example: the MSRP might be $49k for a loaded one, but after discounts and rebates, you can get one for about $36k. The original MSRP in this example is in the far reaches of the parking lot outside our imaginary ballpark. You might not be able to afford a $49k truck, but at $36k, well that might be doable. To further the discussion, the term "discount" is a misnomer. It's not really a discount off MSRP, but rather a price near or acceptably below invoice. It's taken as a discount off MSRP because that's what the consumer has been trained to look at as a reference point.

I think once the 'newness' of the car wears off you will end up regretting it.

You and I both know this car will be had for sticker once the initial hype dies down.

DC

Another positive post from EC.

It all boils down to what you can afford. If MSRP was 10k more but the dealer was selling it at 5k under MSRP would you buy the car? Same price same car.

You should listen to people who own the cars and not some evil doer who knows nothing about them but has to post under droppingevilchronic to help support is prior statement.

If the 5k is going to make or break you do not buy the car. I would say if you can buy one for under 65k its worth every penny PERIOD!! The Terminators are not HALF the car the GT500 is, great cars but not in same league overall.

Another positive post from EC.

It all boils down to what you can afford. If MSRP was 10k more but the dealer was selling it at 5k under MSRP would you buy the car? Same price same car.

You should listen to people who own the cars and not some evil doer who knows nothing about them but has to post under droppingevilchronic to help support is prior statement.

If the 5k is going to make or break you do not buy the car. I would say if you can buy one for under 65k its worth every penny PERIOD!! The Terminators are not HALF the car the GT500 is, great cars but not in same league overall.

ROFL

Half the car.

:hysterical:

Wow. Just wow.

No way! I see both of them on the board at the sametime & both posting on different forum topics at the same time. Now had you said they were brothers...that I could Believe

Guest evilchris

No way! I see both of them on the board at the sametime & both posting on different forum topics at the same time. Now had you said they were brothers...that I could Believe

He has paranoid delusions. The fact that dropping and I agree on some things doesn't make us brothers. In fact, the things we agree on are agreed upon by many.

Look at my sig, he's guilty of what he accuses.

well said.

+1.

I'm sure I'll stir someone up with this but, there are people who are fairly well off that won't spend any of their money for the fun things in life. They just keep saving and saving until they die. They forget they have only one life to live and they won't enjoy any of it.

Hell, you could get run over waiting to have fun. You could get sick and die the day before you were going to do something that you put off just to save ALL of your money.

If the 5K puts the car out of reach financially and you have to wait, that's one thing. But if you are well off and you wait, brother you are just pissing your life away.

I have spoken, donations can be sent to my Church via Pay-Pal :bowdown:

in quebec i paid 25K over the MSRP that is your answer, no?????????

I'm sure I'll stir someone up with this but, there are people who are fairly well off that won't spend any of their money for the fun things in life. They just keep saving and saving until they die. They forget they have only one life to live and they won't enjoy any of it.

Hell, you could get run over waiting to have fun. You could get sick and die the day before you were going to do something that you put off just to save ALL of your money.

If the 5K puts the car out of reach financially and you have to wait, that's one thing. But if you are well off and you wait, brother you are just pissing your life away.

I have spoken, donations can be sent to my Church via Pay-Pal :bowdown:

While I am not what I consider 'well off' I agree with your point entirely. I can squeeze the car and some ADM into the budget. Therefore hope to enjoy the car sooner than later......now if they would just build it.

I think an IT guy like evilchris could easily post from two different computers or networks (therefore different IP addresses) using two aliases at the same time. That's not hard at all. I still think they're both evilchris. Sorry. :kuko:

Archived