TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010 Camaro Engines

diamondback

Nice engine line up for the 2010 Camaro. 305 hp V6 with great MPG and an 6.2 LS3 422 HP with Forged internals. Looks like the SS is about the same weight as the GT500 so there should be no problem in smoking this bow tie.

The V6 sounds attractive to me as a everyday driver though.

check out the LS3 http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/index.htm

Question: does anyone know why V8s dont have varible valve timing? This boggles me and I dont know why? The Camaro V6 has it why not the LS3 or our 5.4???

Nice engine line up for the 2010 Camaro. 305 hp V6 with great MPG and an 6.2 LS3 422 HP with Forged internals. Looks like the SS is about the same weight as the GT500 so there should be no problem in smoking this bow tie.

The V6 sounds attractive to me as a everyday driver though.

check out the LS3 http://www.camarohomepage.com/ls3/index.htm

Question: does anyone know why V8s dont have varible valve timing? This boggles me and I dont know why? The Camaro V6 has it why not the LS3 or our 5.4???

I agree with you on the V6. It has better power and is a more modern engine than the V6s currently offered in the Mustang or in the Challenger. To counter that, Ford should offer the Eco Boost V6 immediately upon launching the 2010 Mustang. Unfortunately, I doubt they will, as it looks like they want to put it in the Lincoln first. Maybe in a year or two...

On the surface 300 equals 300 right? Not really; give me my GT any day. The V-6 makes it's "300" at 6800 RPM. In stock trim mine made 300 at 5800. Care to guess who has more area under the torque curve which equals acceleration? Hint: the car doesn't sport a bow tie :hysterical:

That's why Chevy put a six speed automatic in it. The "nifty" Camaro engine has a power band the size of a pimple and you better not let it drop below 5500 or you will see what I mean.

As for the V8 - I'm not worried. With my blower, I weigh less and make more power all across the curve. In addition, I bet the total cost with blower comes in under a comparably equipped SS.

Bring it on Chubly :happy feet:

There was a recent post that the SS model was being cancelled.... not to be produced??? is this fact or fiction? anyone know?

No, the SS is in, but ZED two-eight is on the shelf....for now anyway. The Z/28 was/is going to be the GT500 for the Camaro set. 500+ H.P., big brakes, etc, etc.

But claiming that it's been shelved might only be a stratgic move by Chevy in order to insure that the SS model sells out, which IMO probably will. If the Camaro program can weather the CAFE and high fuel cost issues for the next 18 to 24 months or so, then the Z/28 model may rear it's ugly head again.

The car that has the much higher potental of going away completely is the Challenger. That's because it has a tremendous amount of Mercedes Benz infulence in it, and now that M-B has divested itself from Chrysler, the new owners would have to pay licensing fees back to M-B in order to keep the mechanicals the same going forward. If the car did not go away completely, I believe that it will be much cheaper looking (materals, transmission, live axle instead of IRS, etc.) because the new owner would dumb the car down in order to make a profit on it.

No, the SS is in, but ZED two-eight is on the shelf....for now anyway. The Z/28 was/is going to be the GT500 for the Camaro set. 500+ H.P., big brakes, etc, etc.

But claiming that it's been shelved might only be a stratgic move by Chevy in order to insure that the SS model sells out, which IMO probably will. If the Camaro program can weather the CAFE and high fuel cost issues for the next 18 to 24 months or so, then the Z/28 model may rear it's ugly head again.

The car that has the much higher potental of going away completely is the Challenger. That's because it has a tremendous amount of Mercedes Benz infulence in it, and now that M-B has divested itself from Chrysler, the new owners would have to pay licensing fees back to M-B in order to keep the mechanicals the same going forward. If the car did not go away completely, I believe that it will be much cheaper looking (materals, transmission, live axle instead of IRS, etc.) because the new owner would dumb the car down in order to make a profit on it.

+1. I also read that the Z/28 was the one that was cancelled. With the Challenger SRT8 rated at 425HP and the Camaro SS around those same numbers, the GT500 (or whatever the name of its 2010 replacement is) should remain on top of the muscle car horsepower race (not counting the ZR1 Vette and Viper, which are more sports cars than muscle cars IMHO).

king of muscle cars for 2007,2008,2009 + 2010 === shelby gt500

:bowdown:

kneel suckers (challenger and camaro)

sorry but any corvette or viper is not a muscle car,they are sports cars with 1000 pounds less than the gt500 and two seats. :doh:

there is a reason why i have KINCOBRA on my plates :dance::banvictory:

The General Motors Powertrain (GMPT) "Gen3" and "Gen4" V8s are some of the World's great engines. Performance-wise, they beat Ford's OHC V8s like a rented mule. They've been on Ward's 10 Best Engines List not just once, but three times since 1998.

And here I thought my rented mule was pretty impressive? :hysterical:

Archived