TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dream Machine!

thewheelman

There's an old country song that says, "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble...." and that's the way I feel. I took possession of my dream car Saturday. It's a 2007 GT 500 Convertible, brand new, never sold, titled or licensed since delivered to the dealer. It's my 4th Mustang--I took a 64 1/2 289 4V coupe to college, drove a 72 convertible w/351 Cleveland 4V for about 8 years and finally traded it for a 92 LX 5.0, 5 speed, so I've enjoyed some horsepower over the years. It's my 9th convertible--my first was a '59 MGA and I've never been without one since. However, in the last few years, I've had to do with my son's cars (for which I am the caretaker)--a 1972 Jensen Healey and a 1982 Fiat Spider. They're not nearly as easy to roll in and out of as they used to be! So this car is the culmination of all my dreams since I was a teenager. It is a unique car as it is certified as a pre-production unit and was sent to the dealers in advance of the production car availability. The dealer research says it's the lowest vin GT 500 convertible produced--so I guess that means it's the first GT 500 convertible off the line. I really didn't go shopping for one this unique, but it sorta found me....

In just a few days of ownership I have discovered: 1) the exhaust note, especially on firing it up, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up--every time! 2) the supercharger whine is actually a distant early warning system--lesser vehicles should take cover immediately! 3) it is the quietest convertible I've ever driven (and that includes a top of the line Chrysler Sebring), normal conversation is most pleasant with the top up. 4) I can't stop grinning!

Here's my online gallery (so far). I hope you will enjoy your GT 500 ownership half as much as I am mine!

http://picasaweb.google.com/HalFaulkner235...ShowroomDisplay

Nice ride! Truly an unusual car, and if it is #1 very special.

You can get a certificate, including the vital build statistics on your car for a small fee from the Ford Performance Group (formerly SVT). Here's the link.

http://www.fordperformancegroup.com/coolStuff/product4/

I've had different Mustangs along the way, too, and this one just seriously tops them all. You're going to love the car!

Conrats! I remember that car. The dealer had posted it last year on the dealer forum.

It was built on 5/12/2006

Definitely a preproduction car.

There were a few of those around, but I don't know which one was the lowest number. I bet SVT could tell you if there were any built before that. Of course if this is the first then yours should be #1 of 2,695 convertibles made and #1 of 151 Tungsten Convertibles made.

Congrats on your new ride! Very nice. Please keep us posted on your sequence number. So far the lowest number posted on the site for a convertible was 26 (no build date was posted for this one) and number 31 was built May 16, 2006. I suspect yours would be in the top 20 convertibles built.

Thanks folks for your kind words! Actually, it's Alloy Metallic. The dealer gave me a printout he got from the Ford dealer network which showed only 5 other convertibles this color. It also shows this as the lowest vin of all of the convertibles, but I have yet to decipher the actual build date.....but I'm looking! What a hoot it is to drive! I'll keep you posted on my research!

Thanks folks for your kind words! Actually, it's Alloy Metallic. The dealer gave me a printout he got from the Ford dealer network which showed only 5 other convertibles this color. It also shows this as the lowest vin of all of the convertibles, but I have yet to decipher the actual build date.....but I'm looking! What a hoot it is to drive! I'll keep you posted on my research!

Gotta ask-was it close to a MSRP deal?

Check out Blue Oval Forms for a vehichle tracker - I've posted the info here somewhere and I know others have as well. Basically go to http://blueovalforums.com, look for Vehicle Locator By Ford Employees, register for a username, post your VIN in the Vehicle Order Tracking topic and Viper Pilot can look up a slew of dates for you. You can ask for a PDF of your window sticker, but it might be archived already where he can't get at it easy.

Shack

Archived