TEAM SHELBY FORUM

CLAY BAR

ejrail

I know this has been covered before but I can't seem to find it. I am preparing my SGT for the MCA Grand National show in Park City, UT this coming weekend. My boss gave me his Harley Davidson Swirl & Scatch remover and his H/D canuba wax to try on my car. I tried it on a corner of my trunklid and now I have to do my whole car! What a fifference it makes on my black car.

I bought the Mothers Clay Bar kit but am unsure if I dare use the clay bar and swirl remover on my silver stripes. I have a few of the manditory water spots on my stripes and would like to try to reduce them. Particularly a large one on top, right over the front seats.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your replys. I'll be careful with the clay bar around the edges of the stripes. So far my stripes havbe been okay as far as the edges not lifting. Hopefully they stay that way.

Works fine on the stripe. Just be careful to not clay bar the car and approach the stripe otherwise you may get some clay under the stripe or lift the stripe. Pick the clay bar up then put on the stripe.

Adam is right, as usual. I have used a clay bar on mine and when it came to the stripes I did what Adam said but also went with the stripes to cover the whole car. Don't go against them but you can go down the side or on the stripe and away from it to the paint. That leaves no residue but ensures the whole car is clayed.

It took 3 nights to do my entire car before the Grand Nationals. It never looked better. The clay bar helped with the waterspots on the stripes but did not get rid of them. My arm is still sore but it was time well spent. I highly recommend this system to really bring out the finish on your car, especially on a black or Vista Blue car.

According to MCA rules, because my car is a 2007, I was classified as display only. You had to be an '05 or older to be judged. I knew this when I registered. That was ok by me as I met lots of great people from all over the US and Canada. We had about 400 Mustangs on display. Only 5-6 SGTs. Lots of GT 500s, a smattering of Roush and Saleen.

Pictures of the cars on Main Street were difficult as the street is an old narrow two lane street. When you park 400 cars at a 45 to the curb on both sides, that doesn't allow much room for spectators to walk down the center. Side views of cars were all but impossible with the crowd and the tight parking. I was parked on a corner so I was able to get a few shots of my car. The show shots I got were mostly up and down the street showing a sea of open hoods and people.

Team Shelby had a black S/C SGT, a Vista Blue KR, a Grabber Orange Super Snake and the new Terlingua on display. Gotta love the yellow and that rabbit. I took more pictures of the Super Snake and the Terlingua than anything else. Shelby Perfomance was giving out those $10 poker chips you get with your Team sign up kit except they just said "Shelby" on them instead of "Team Shelby". You had to enter their raffle and sign up for their on-line newsletter. I know mine is one chip that will never be spent. It is already in a display case next to the other one.

All in all, both the polishing and show were something I'd do again in a heartbeat. Now comes the AC Delco Nationals and the factory tour in November.

Archived