TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front license plate display

choo choo

This is just to see what everyone else is doing, as my solution is not working. I have an 08 SGT and live in Texas. My problem is the front license plate. I really dont want to install it on the front bumper as I dont like the look. I talked to a state trooper soon after I bought the car and asked him what the law was with displaying the front plate. He said as long as it is in plain view to the front of the vehicle (ie not laying down on the dash) that it was within the law. My solution was to prop the plate up on the passenger side dash, using the plastic piece that runs up along the side of the windshield. The problem is that when I accelerate or slow down harder than normal, the plate falls or becomes not "in plain view". I've looked around for specific plate holders that would work on a dash or anywhere else on the interior but to no avail. My question is, has anyone out there figured out a good solution to this or found any products designed for displaying the plate from the interior? I've tried driving without it, but as much as the SGT's looks make it a cop magnet, I would rather not do it too often. Thanks for any suggestions.

Here in CA it's a law that the dealer make you sign a paper that the buyer acknowledges that a front mount has been provided. Anyway, I can always have it removed/repaired and in the meantime i've been scoping this thing out.... I figure worst case you could mount it from the bottom of our bumpers and not see the holes when your remove it. It would be cool to use thumb screws so you don't even need any tools to just pop it on/off.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?cat...34&scid=YP1

Here in CA it's a law that the dealer make you sign a paper that the buyer acknowledges that a front mount has been provided. Anyway, I can always have it removed/repaired and in the meantime i've been scoping this thing out.... I figure worst case you could mount it from the bottom of our bumpers and not see the holes when your remove it. It would be cool to use thumb screws so you don't even need any tools to just pop it on/off.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?cat...34&scid=YP1

I checked that link but could not find a way to check to see if it will fit a SGT. Were you able to verify that it fits?

Jim

No, it's 17 bucks so I figure I'd get it and see how it looks/mounts up. If I don't like it I can send it back. I just liked it because it mounts underneath.... For sure you'd have to drill holes in the bumper but you wouldn't see them. I'm not in a big hurry anyway. My car has been in for a week now for new scoop/stripes. So once I get it back I won't be in any hurry to do anything but DRIVE it again!

Also -- Check out the signed photo half way down on this post of the black SGT.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32876

This guy has it mounted on his grill which I thought would be a great idea if there was some sort of "clip" that could be used there. The lower grill would be another great spot..... some things to consider for sure.

hmm so maybe some sort of (stainless) with a large washer so it doesn't slip through the grill with a nice finish nut on the front side of the plate..... mounted to the lower grill.....

Just throwing stuff out there.... It's late! I'll probalby re-read this tomorrow and think what a GAWDAWFUL idea! :)

This is just to see what everyone else is doing, as my solution is not working. I have an 08 SGT and live in Texas. My problem is the front license plate. I really dont want to install it on the front bumper as I dont like the look. I talked to a state trooper soon after I bought the car and asked him what the law was with displaying the front plate. He said as long as it is in plain view to the front of the vehicle (ie not laying down on the dash) that it was within the law. My solution was to prop the plate up on the passenger side dash, using the plastic piece that runs up along the side of the windshield. The problem is that when I accelerate or slow down harder than normal, the plate falls or becomes not "in plain view". I've looked around for specific plate holders that would work on a dash or anywhere else on the interior but to no avail. My question is, has anyone out there figured out a good solution to this or found any products designed for displaying the plate from the interior? I've tried driving without it, but as much as the SGT's looks make it a cop magnet, I would rather not do it too often. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you simply want it to stay on the inside windshield, why not just use velco w/ adhesive backing?

That is the bracket I own but I have not tried putting it on yet. I have the lower grill and I am told that addition makes the install pretty tough. Having said that, I still plan on giving it a try. One of those times I wish I had my own lift so I could stand up and mess with it 'till I got it right.

Jim

That is the bracket I own but I have not tried putting it on yet. I have the lower grill and I am told that addition makes the install pretty tough. Having said that, I still plan on giving it a try. One of those times I wish I had my own lift so I could stand up and mess with it 'till I got it right.

Jim

I have this bracket on my SGT and had no issues installing the lower grill. The trick is to remove the splash guard under the front fascia (~7 screws) and then you can reach in from behind to mount the grill. There's about 3/8" of clearance between the top of the grill and the license plate bracket so there's no issues with the fit.

I don't have a lift, but I made a set of 2x10 ramps to lift the car about 3" off the ground which made it easier to get underneath for oil changes and things like this...

-yellow pony

I have this bracket on my SGT and had no issues installing the lower grill. The trick is to remove the splash guard under the front fascia (~7 screws) and then you can reach in from behind to mount the grill. There's about 3/8" of clearance between the top of the grill and the license plate bracket so there's no issues with the fit.

I don't have a lift, but I made a set of 2x10 ramps to lift the car about 3" off the ground which made it easier to get underneath for oil changes and things like this...

-yellow pony

Thanks for that information. When I get home from vacation, I will get to going on that.

Jim

hi i have both brkts one that is shown in the reply above and its on ebay , and i have one that folds under the car when iam at shows, i got pictures but never have figured out how to post them anyone want to see it pm me with a email and i will email you the pictures or go to ebay and buy the one i have on there .....

• 5 months later...
Ok, I'm an official VA resident now and thus will need to have a front license plate. I have the lower grille. So based on what I read above, the plate in this link http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/ will work right?

Mark,

That is the best braket but it is said that installing it when you have the lower grill is a bear. I have the same lower grill and bracket and I have resolved that I will have to remove a good portion of the front end facia to get it on. If you do it yourself (which I am not even going to try), please take notes so you can pass them on. There is dinner in it for you at CS87 if you can get yourself out there for that. If you are only now an official Virginia resident, what were you before?

Jim

I've been an Alaska resident since 1990. When you are active duty military, you can establish and keep your state residence even if you later move to another state. This lasts until you separate from the military. I had 60 days after separation from the military to get my VA tags and 90 after to get my VA driver's license.

Per the bracket: yellow mustang made it sound easy

I have this bracket on my SGT and had no issues installing the lower grill. The trick is to remove the splash guard under the front fascia (~7 screws) and then you can reach in from behind to mount the grill.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=510839

But after reading it again...maybe he's saying it's easy to install the lower grille. I'm' not going to chop up my front bumper if that's what's required to use this bracket.

Anyone else install this bracket with the lower grill? I think dig-it might have.

It's easy. Install the lower grill and it will hold the plate in place...

l_f12e8cf65940979790c7a9110270c26c.jpg

Now when it comes to the bugs....well you can see I'm losing that battle. :cry:

It's easy. Install the lower grill and it will hold the plate in place...

l_f12e8cf65940979790c7a9110270c26c.jpg

Now when it comes to the bugs....well you can see I'm losing that battle. :cry:

hi i have the fold away one on my 08 sgt i can email pictures to anyone that wants to see it ,i took a couple of it going on .i have also put this on a couple gt500 and will put one a kr in the next couple months

When you work on a military base and gate guards sees you don't have a front plate, they often go around to the rear to see what state. So I will run into this issue more than most.

I sent an email and received a response from the owner of Craig's custom mustang bracket. Bottomline is it will work but you have to remove the grille to put it on and take it off...not ideal.

I may try stump breaker's example above.

Hi Mark,

I have had a couple of guys put the bracket on with that lower grill

although I have not seen pictures of it done personally. You would have to

remove the grill, install the bracket, then reinstall the grill. The

problem with this is now it is not removable without taking out the lower

grill. If you want to give it a try sometime, you could stop by and we can

take a look at it. I might also be able to come up with something that

could work with your grill. Have a good weekend.

r/

Craig Broussard

simple dont run a front plate, if you do get stopped which is unlikely, its a $10 ffix it ticket

In CT, its a $70 fine.

That was quick. Stump breaker's solution worked for me. Longterm, I will investigate other options.

Stump, do you have the plate attached to the grille in anyway or is it just sitting in there?

I originally had it connected to the upper grill with zip ties and was going to do the same with the lower but it fits just perfectly without any connectors at all. It locks in between the bumper and lower fascia and so far has held on even at speeds of 130 mph....

I originally had it connected to the upper grill with zip ties and was going to do the same with the lower but it fits just perfectly without any connectors at all. It locks in between the bumper and lower fascia and so far has held on even at speeds of 130 mph....

Stump, you did not see that 130 mph on public roads, did you. :hysterical:

Jim

I went back and ran a wire through the upper license plate holes and around the top of the lower grille. I agree that it probably won't ever go anywhere but I didn't want to be unpleasantly surprised. I think it looks pretty good.

I'll have to remember to check it in the summer to see if it effects the radiator temp at all.

I guess that lower grille has a unforseen benefit for those needing the front plate.

Archived