TEAM SHELBY FORUM

took care of my scoop/vinyl stripe problem!

I finally got tired of all the problems with the scoop and stripes (you all know probably better than me about them) so I decided to finally swap out the hood for a similar one with a functional scoop, paint all the stripes on minus the side ones, and add a rear spoiler as well. I couldn't be happier with the results and am 200% happier with my car now. I had been doing research for almost a year on these mods and finally got them done. One major concern was water getting led to the engine through the scoop but funny enough had to drive the car home from the body shop when it was finished (about 15 miles) and it was pouring thanks to Hurricane Fay (or tropical storm?) and to my surprise everything was dry inside! :hyper2: <= that's what it looks like when I jump on the hood, all reflection! :happy feet:

post-12903-1219530591_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531320_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531332_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531478_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219530591_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531320_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531332_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219531478_thumb.jpg

Glad you found something you like! How exactly is the hood functional? It would be nice to see the underside and how the system leads to the air filter.

Ooops, forgot about that I don't mean to tease :doh: . I never took a picture of the underside after the paint but here it is before when I was checking the fit. Oh, and just so you guys watch out, I found out my hood was rusting UNDERNEATH the paint around the hood pins since I guess they get drilled out but no protective coat added before bolting on the hood pins... Another reason why I decided to change the hood.

post-12903-1219535834_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219535843_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219536063_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219536153_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219535834_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219535843_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219536063_thumb.jpg

post-12903-1219536153_thumb.jpg

Ooops, forgot about that I don't mean to tease :doh: . I never took a picture of the underside after the paint but here it is before when I was checking the fit. Oh, and just so you guys watch out, I found out my hood was rusting UNDERNEATH the paint around the hood pins since I guess they get drilled out but no protective coat added before bolting on the hood pins... Another reason why I decided to change the hood.

The hood itself cannot rust, since the hood is aluminum, but maybe some sort of electrolysis was taking place or the hood pin plates or there fasteners were rusting. Who manufactures the hood?

Hahaha, corrode/rust it's pretty much the same thing, contact with too much moisture will make aluminum rot/degrade, doesn't matter what word is used. I'm not trying to win a contest here just explaining what happened to my hood, as the pictures show. Some bubbling could be seen on the paint close to where the paint had already chipped off due to degradation of the material. I work in the medical device industry and we have to anodize all our aluminum parts so they don't corrode and leave white dust everywhere (especially in South Florida, haha). Thanks for the clarification with the wording though.

That popcorn reminds me though, gonna watch Death Race in an hour, can't wait.

Hahaha, corrode/rust it's pretty much the same thing, contact with too much moisture will make aluminum rot/degrade, doesn't matter what word is used. I'm not trying to win a contest here just explaining what happened to my hood, as the pictures show. Some bubbling could be seen on the paint close to where the paint had already chipped off due to degradation of the material. I work in the medical device industry and we have to anodize all our aluminum parts so they don't corrode and leave white dust everywhere (especially in South Florida, haha). Thanks for the clarification with the wording though.

That popcorn reminds me though, gonna watch Death Race in an hour, can't wait.

Words have meaning, and proper definitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust

You're going off topic here but I hope you understood what I originally meant. My hood "corroded" under the paint and caused it to chip off.

I guess I did get off on a tangent there...sorry about that.

I finally got tired of all the problems with the scoop and stripes (you all know probably better than me about them) so I decided to finally swap out the hood for a similar one with a functional scoop, paint all the stripes on minus the side ones, and add a rear spoiler as well. I couldn't be happier with the results and am 200% happier with my car now. I had been doing research for almost a year on these mods and finally got them done. One major concern was water getting led to the engine through the scoop but funny enough had to drive the car home from the body shop when it was finished (about 15 miles) and it was pouring thanks to Hurricane Fay (or tropical storm?) and to my surprise everything was dry inside! :hyper2: <= that's what it looks like when I jump on the hood, all reflection! :happy feet:

Don't know why I noticed this, but in your first pic, the reflection of the cobblestones look kind of like reptile scales on the side of the Shelby-must be that "little bit of cobra" in yours!

Yeah the body shop I went to did an excellent job for a good price. I also found out the hood "wobbles" just about the same as the old hood on windy days but doesn't bother me as much since it's more flexible than the aluminum hood.

Yeah the body shop I went to did an excellent job for a good price. I also found out the hood "wobbles" just about the same as the old hood on windy days but doesn't bother me as much since it's more flexible than the aluminum hood.

Is the hood on my GT/CS alum also?

I did not know the SGT had an alum hood.

Ramps074.jpg

Is the hood on my GT/CS alum also?

I did not know the SGT had an alum hood.

Ramps074.jpg

I believe all s197 Mustangs have aluminum hoods, except for the KR which is carbon fiber?

I am planning to replace my hood plate with the billet ones.

If i discover some oxidation, what i could do to prevent it from spreading? Is there any chemical product out there that could help me?

I remember seeing bubbles around the plates on a lot of 07 SGT in a dealership in Orlando. Did not wanted to buy there. I finally bought in GA and i have no bubbles.

I have that exact same hood in my garage...been there since April 07. Have debated whether to use it or not. Waiting to see how the whole hood scoop thing works out.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...e=show&st=0

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...mp;postcount=49

What did you do with the mesh that covers the opening? Remove it or paint it.

How was the overall fit?

I have that exact same hood in my garage...been there since April 07. Have debated whether to use it or not. Waiting to see how the whole hood scoop thing works out.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...e=show&st=0

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpost.php...mp;postcount=49

What did you do with the mesh that covers the opening? Remove it or paint it.

How was the overall fit?

Yeah that was a while back when I posted in your thread and I finally decided to go with it since either way I was gonna get my stripes painted. Why not add the new hood and spoiler since they'll need paint too? As for the grill, I painted it the same color black as the rest of the hood and it looks amazing. The fit was perfect, put it on the first day and had 0 issues so after drilling all the holes for the water and hood pins we went straight to the paint. I also got that fabric underneath the stock hood and just made a cut-out for the vent and had it placed on the new hood and again even the underside was perfect with the stock since it matched the fabric curves perfectly. I was waiting for that new scoop solution from SAI before as well but concluded that even if it ends up looking perfect that I would still be bothered by the fact that it was fake (but that's just my opinion no offense to anyone). Well good luck with your decision, I vote for installation but I'm sure it'll look great either way!!

I finally got tired of all the problems with the scoop and stripes (you all know probably better than me about them) so I decided to finally swap out the hood for a similar one with a functional scoop, paint all the stripes on minus the side ones, and add a rear spoiler as well. I couldn't be happier with the results and am 200% happier with my car now. I had been doing research for almost a year on these mods and finally got them done. One major concern was water getting led to the engine through the scoop but funny enough had to drive the car home from the body shop when it was finished (about 15 miles) and it was pouring thanks to Hurricane Fay (or tropical storm?) and to my surprise everything was dry inside!

I really like what you have accomplished here, sir. Not only did you resolve the hood scoop/stripe issue to your own pleasing, you added an important performance mod. Now you have a true "cold air" kit, congrats!

I'd love to follow in your footsteps, maybe someday I will. But, as I post this, I am problem free and still rather fond of the original "rivet" scoop.

More 411 on the hood and your project? Please?

What are the costs involved?

What (if any) difficulty with the install?

I presume the new hood is fiberglass, am I correct?

Thanks in advance, be safe.

EDIT: Here's a link to the product...

http://www.trufiber.com/p-93-cobra-roadste...m-air-hood.aspx

I really like what you have accomplished here, sir. Not only did you resolve the hood scoop/stripe issue to your own pleasing, you added an important performance mod. Now you have a true "cold air" kit, congrats!

I'd love to follow in your footsteps, maybe someday I will. But, as I post this, I am problem free and still rather fond of the original "rivet" scoop.

More 411 on the hood and your project? Please?

What are the costs involved?

What (if any) difficulty with the install?

I presume the new hood is fiberglass, am I correct?

Thanks in advance, be safe.

EDIT: Here's a link to the product...

http://www.trufiber.com/p-93-cobra-roadste...m-air-hood.aspx

Costs are the hood itself, (it's fiberglass) then the prepping and paint for the hood and the labor. I guess that would depend on where you take it though. I just got lucky and found a good place. Other than that I had to go almost everyday to the body shop to keep up to date with that was going on and making sure the guy got a paint color that matched properly and did everything to my liking (especially the laying of the tape before painting the stripes, that was a toughie). Took about a week and a half for all the work including prepping, getting the paint, taping up the car for the stripes, painting, redoing things I asked (couple of stripes came out a bit crooked at first), interruptions from Fay, and finally he wet-sanded it all back down and reapplied the clear coat so you wouldn't feel the thickness of the silver stripes on top of the black. The most difficult part was the laying of the tape for the stripes. I realized even the stock stripes weren't perfect and tried my best to make it even better. It came to the point where the guy just let me lay the tape down for certain sections since apparently I could notice fractions of a millimeter differences from several feet away, haha.

Could you elaborate on the "holes for water" and how did you attach the old hood blanket to the new hood?

Thanks

Basically the hood is 2 pieces of fiberglass molded together and formed in such a way that the gap creates the duct for the air to travel through (I might be wrong but this is what it seems like). From looking at the underside of the hood and looking at the mold patterns it seemed to me that the water could possibly squeeze through the pinched areas and end up trapped between the two layers. So I had 4 holes drilled, 1 in each corner of the underside of the hood so if the water happened to sneak its way to other areas it would drain out of those holes. The hood blanket was attached to the stock hood with plastic screws so I had the holes marked and drilled through only the bottom layer of the hood and then plugged the screws in. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Archived