TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1987 LeBaron Indy 500 Pace Car On Ebay

Some of you may have seen other boards discuss this LeBaron Pace Car. It is now on ebay, see the link below. For the others I'll post a quick summary.

Back in 1987 Carroll Shelby was the pace car driver for the Indy 500. The offical pace car was a Chrysler LeBaron convertible. Chrysler built 4 identical pace cars for the race. After the race one of the pace cars went to the winner of the race, another went to the Indy 500 museum, another went to Chryslers museum and the fourth one went missing.

Well this missing fourth pace car turned up earlier this year at a CART bankruptcy auction. It turns out that after the Indy 500 this fourth Pace car ended up at PPG paint who painted it a really wild paint scheme, that was popular at the time and then was used as a track car at several smaller races.

From there it looks like it got mothballed in a warehouse until this bankruptcy auction earlier this year when it was purchased by two guys as an investment.

If I recall they tried to sell this car on those other boards with I guess no takers so now they have it on ebay. I don't recall exactly what they want for the car but keep in mind they were upfront saying they purchased the car as an investment so I wouldn't expect the reserve to be very low.

Steve

EBAY AUCTION

We had that car on display at the SDAC booth at the Mopar Nationals a couple of weeks ago.

It is an amazing paint job on the car (despite the color choices). All the trim was removed from the car for the body to be painted, and then the trim was painted to match and re-installed. For example a stripe going down the drivers side of the car goes across the door handle as it came to a point. The handle was removed for the door/body painting process, then the handle was painted to match the narrowing stripe scheme. That kind of detail in the painting of the car is evident everywhere. And that detail is also what would make repainting it to the original red very difficult to say the least.

The mechanical quality of the car is exceptional also. Not only the car's engine was modified for pace car duities, but the chassis was also brought up to the required safety specs. It is a unique piece of Mopar history, but I think it may be a tough sell. The car is not street legal, has never been titled (plated), and I don't think it can be. With only about 1400 original miles, the car is like new in nearly every other aspect.

Barry

The car is not street legal, has never been titled (plated), and I don't think it can be.

Good point Barry. I agree that "legally" it could never be registered for use on the street. But then again would you want to be seen on the street with that paint job. Just a joke (but you know you all agree ;) )

Steve

Good point Barry. I agree that "legally" it could never be registered for use on the street. But then again would you want to be seen on the street with that paint job. Just a joke (but you know you all agree ;) )

Steve

LOL! When I was contacted about it, my first reaction was that I didn't want anything that ugly at our spot. But as I became convinced of it's authenticity, I felt it was an historically significant vehicle and that if I turned it down I might regret it later.

As it turned out, it was pretty neat! I sort of got used to the paint scheme over the two days it was there. And I marveled over the attention to detail of the modifications. I never realized how much preparation goes into those cars. It even has an on-board fire suppression system!

Here's a couple of pics, the first one of the owner backing it into the spot behind our tent. And the other of it tucked in behind us. That was for Saturday. On Sunday, I let him park it at the side and I parked my Daytona in the back.

moparnats155.jpg

moparnats178.jpg

On Sunday, I let him park it at the side and I parked my Daytona in the back.

Hey I see someones white Daytona that would look great with that PPG paint job :hysterical2:

On a positive note PPG painted many other cars just as bad. Here's a GMC Syclone that they painted almost as wild as the LeBaron.

Steve

ppgpace.jpg

I'm glad the 80's are over I don't miss my parachute pants.

Well just be glad you don't have yourself plastered on a LP cover wearing a set of red P pants holding a Flying V, like our motorhead friend Sammy H..... :hysterical:

I never owned a set, but I had the bitch'n hair.....however now if I wear it that long, I look like Swazie's (sp) mentor from the movie Roadhouse. :eek5:

I long for the good old days of the Indy 500 when every race car wasn't a Honda and every pace car wasn't a Chevy!!!!

I long for the good old days of the Indy 500 when every race car wasn't a Honda and every pace car wasn't a Chevy!!!!

Yep them's was the good ol days...When you could mention Indy Car and everyone understood what it was and meant.

I also miss the IMSA GTP Series, some great race cars from that era.....I won't forget watching Lynn ST. James figuring out the hard way of creating two Ford Probe GTP racers.... :doh:

I helped with putting together the history of the car and provided the VIN's to the other 3 pace cars.

I think the owner has high expectations for the value of the car. Unfortunately, I don't see the car pulling in big $ at the present time.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the owner has high expectations for the value of the car. Unfortunately, I don't see the car pulling in big $ at the present time.

Well the auction closed at $6,350 reserve NOT met. I'm sure the seller was probably disappointed that their investment didn't do better.

That paint can't be helping any but I agree it's now part of the cars history.

Steve

Well the auction closed at $6,350 reserve NOT met. I'm sure the seller was probably disappointed that their investment didn't do better.

That paint can't be helping any but I agree it's now part of the cars history.

Steve

I'm my discussion with the owner, I'm sure that $6,350 is not even HALF of what he wants for the car. There is no question it's an awesome piece of history and if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably go for it.......

Kinda makes me wonder A) How much he invested B) How long can he afford to wait for his investment to reach maturity <_<

I'm thinking real estate is still a better equity builder...

Alan

Kinda makes me wonder A) How much he invested B) How long can he afford to wait for his investment to reach maturity <_<

I'm thinking real estate is still a better equity builder...

Alan

I agree....market research is critical for something like this. He did mention that the Old Calais Quad 4 PPG Pace car went for $50K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headscratch:

Well $5300 reserve NOT met on the second auction. I feel for the sellers but its a tough car to sell let alone trying to sell it when the economy is the way it is right now.

I'm not sure that even if it was repainted red that would help the selling price much. Now if it was only this LeBaron Pace Car.............................

Iacocca_and_Shelby.jpg

Iacocca_and_Shelby.jpg

• 8 months later...

Came across a photo of Carroll driving the actual 1987 Indy 500 Pace Car and noticed it doesn't match the PPG car that guy has been trying to sell on ebay this past year.

No I'm not talking about the paint as we know PPG changed the paint at a later date. What I'm noticing is the actual pace car that Carroll is driving doesn't have the strobe light bar, has a different tonneau cover and is wearing stock Chrysler wheels.

Looks like PPG made more changes to the Pace car than just the paint.

Steve

Image0033a.JPG

Image0033a.JPG

Came across a photo of Carroll driving the actual 1987 Indy 500 Pace Car and noticed it doesn't match the PPG car that guy has been trying to sell on ebay this past year.

No I'm not talking about the paint as we know PPG changed the paint at a later date. What I'm noticing is the actual pace car that Carroll is driving doesn't have the strobe light bar, has a different tonneau cover and is wearing stock Chrysler wheels.

Looks like PPG made more changes to the Pace car than just the paint.

Steve

Do you have a pic of one of these with a strobe light bar? When the guy brought his to the Mopar Nats 2 years ago and parked it at the SDAC booth, his strobes were built into the turn signals. He turned them on for us once just to show them.

But yeah, PPG did make quite a few changes to the car as it was used to pace the series they sponsored after it finished its one day stint at Indy. Since they painted the wheels also, they probably picked a set that they liked better (maybe even for a wider tire?).

Do you have a pic of one of these with a strobe light bar? When the guy brought his to the Mopar Nats 2 years ago and parked it at the SDAC booth, his strobes were built into the turn signals. He turned them on for us once just to show them.

Barry what I mean by the stobe light bar is what we used to call a rollbar until the lawyers got involved. If you look at the PPG car it has a rollbar that I thought has strobe lights built into it along with the strobes drilled into the factory light housings.

Being a convertible the LeBaron Pace Car did not have the typical police looking strobe light bar that would have mounted to the roof had it been a hardtop car.

Steve

Barry what I mean by the stobe light bar is what we used to call a rollbar until the lawyers got involved. If you look at the PPG car it has a rollbar that I thought has strobe lights built into it along with the strobes drilled into the factory light housings.

Being a convertible the LeBaron Pace Car did not have the typical police looking strobe light bar that would have mounted to the roof had it been a hardtop car.

Steve

Yeah, I thought that was what you meant (like the bar on the roof of a HT car). The pics on the other site of the car that was repainted, has a roll bar that is of a flat oval shape (instead of round pipe) but there are no lights on it either front or rear.

Yeah, I thought that was what you meant (like the bar on the roof of a HT car). The pics on the other site of the car that was repainted, has a roll bar that is of a flat oval shape (instead of round pipe) but there are no lights on it either front or rear.

Thanks Barry. For some reason I thought there were rear facing amber lights in the PPG rollbar. I've been looking at too many Pace Cars this past year at the various Barrett Jackson auctions and must have been thinking of another Pace Car.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
I have a brochure from Chrysler that shows the 1987 Lebaron pace car as being silver. How many different versions were there?

Bob

Bob

The four Pace Cars that were specially built for actual Pace Car duty were all red. Chrysler also sold some replica Pace Car LeBarons that were mainly a decal package, key fob and a dash plaque. These replicas came in red and silver.

Steve

Archived