TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pioneer DEX-77 Questions

CSX-VNT #414

If you're reading this thread, you are interested in the Pioneer DEX-77. I'm wanting to create this thread to address common problems with this unit, and hopefully be able to work with others to find sources that can correct these problems, whether they be a vendor, private party, or someone who's personally worked with them and has first hand experience.

#1 For starters, my DEX-77 is not currently accepting CD's, and I refrained from pushing one in. It seems to me that either the CD player isn't registering the injection of a CD period, OR is it that you have to hit a certain button to turn on the CD player option in order to have it accept a CD?

#2 I know many people talk about their DEX's having the CODE flash continuously on the face of their unit. The unit I have is located in a car that has been un-op'd for the last few number of years, yet I put the battery in it tonight and the unit came right on and I even had it playing some radio stations. When does this CODE flash requiring the input of a CODE apply, and if you do not know the previous code, is there a reset switch or some way you can figure it out even besides guessing?

#3 Should any part of the face of this unit come off? The fascia piece that sits in front of the time (right in the center) came off of my unit tonight when I hit the eject button, and thinking this was some sort of door for the CD, I pushed down on it slightly thinking a CD was going to come out of the unit. Instead, this small plastic piece of the fascia came off. It appears that it shouldn't have, and maybe just the glue holding it to the head unit has weakened from how it was sitting in the sun, allowing it to fall off. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, what did you do to correct it and reapply it without any visible flaws?

#4 Two of the tiny green lights on the EQ above the head unit are burnt out. Is this somethign that can be fixed like the 12 button navigators from Daytonas can be?

#5 Has anyone ever taken this unit from a SL and put it into another vehicle with it being successfully operable? Just curious as I so many of these cars on the Shelby Registry are missing their's, is this unit something that previous owners of those cars maybe removed to put into their new rides?

#6 PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION I HAVE --- Does Pioneer recognize this product at all these days, as in sending it to them for refurbishing, diagnosing, resetting, etc? Or do they no longer honor any service repairs on it? Besides Pioneer, is there anyone who has repaired these on their own, or know of a reputable company that does little maintenance things like changing those light bulbs inside the EQ buttons? I figure I ask this question because many folks out there have some problems with their units that I'm sure they would want to be fixed, but hesitate to send them anywhere due to their rarity as well as complications.

#7 After pulling the head unit out of the dash this evening, I noticed I should have paid more attention to detail in regards to where the 4 plugs on the back plugged into the rear of the head unit itself. There are two large black plugs that I believe run to the amps under the passenger seat. Both are identical in shape and color, but one plugs in on the driver's side of the head unit on the back and the other plugs into the passenger side. Secondly, there are two smaller plugs, one black, one gray, that plug in the same way. How do I know which ones to plug back into the correct holes so I don't damage the radio when I go to put it back in down the road?

Hope this thread leads to some good discussion as well as answers!!!! Please feel free to post further questions or stories of experience with these units, as I'm sure every SL owner out there has some input to contribute here!

What's a DEX-77? Just kidding Billy :lol: Years ago when I had a couple of SL's (748 and 259) I did some research on refurbishing the 77. After a dozen or so calls I did find a Pioneer dealer that had a tech that was very familiar with them. He garranteed he could get mine working like new. They were in Placentia Ca, but I never followed thru with the plan. I just replaced the whole set up with a modern CD player :hide:

Another member with a Lancer had his 77 guttted and filled with modern componants so I know it's doable. Not that I remember where he had that done at :(

Alan

Hi Billy

The books I'm mailing to you on Monday will answer most of your questions. I'll try to answer your other questions here.

First off do you have the Shelby Lancer repair manual supplement? It has a huge section on how Shelby wired up the Pioneer unit. This supplement will answer your connector questions.

Second. I doubt Pioneer would accept the radio for repair. And if by chance they did, the repair charge would be astronomical in my opinion. You need to find a local shop that has a good old timer repair guy and with the books I'm sending you they should be able to fix most things. Certain things may not be able to be fixed due to parts no longer being available from Pioneer.

Third. Most Lancers are missing this stereo because they stopped working. This was one of the very first CD players that also contained a radio and lets just say they weren't built to last. I highly doubt owners removed them just to install them into another car they owned.

Fourth. The burned out green lights should be able to be replaced by a radio tech. They are probably soldered in but that would be no problem for a good tech.

My suggestion for you is to find a local radio repair shop and get an estimate for repairs. Your unit seems to have a lot of things wrong and it may be more econimical to purchase another unit. Yes its rare for them to come up for sale but I do see them on ebay every once and awhile. I'm basing this opinion on the fact that your unit won't accept a cd. That repair usually consists of replacing the complete cd mechanism which is quite costly, off the top of my head I would say between $200-300 for just that.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

Received the service manuals and there is a TON of material to leaf through there. Thanks so much!

One question that I am still beating my head off the wall about is why they would have installed these codes knowing that people would trade these cars in and the new owner may not know the code to the unit. There has to be some way to reset it in this type of case. The service manuals talk about resetting it in terms of not liking the old one and changing to a new one, but not deleting the old one and creating a new one altogether.

Billy

The security code is from Pioneer, Shelby Automobiles had nothing to do with that part. I'm not even sure Shelby kept a copy of the security code, as far as I know they just threw in the glovebox the card from Pioneer with the code printed on it.

You can change the security code. Just follow the instructions for changing a lost security code.

Steve

Billy

The security code is from Pioneer, Shelby Automobiles had nothing to do with that part. I'm not even sure Shelby kept a copy of the security code, as far as I know they just threw in the glovebox the card from Pioneer with the code printed on it.

You can change the security code. Just follow the instructions for changing a lost security code.

Steve

My understanding is that they all came with a default code of all 0's (5 or 6 of them). I have one that I bought a few years ago and when I asked the guy the code, that's what he told me. He said it worked for him.

I don't think they had NV ram back then. I think it must have used a lithium cell for code backup. Not sure though. The tech info should spell it out.

My understanding is that they all came with a default code of all 0's (5 or 6 of them). I have one that I bought a few years ago and when I asked the guy the code, that's what he told me. He said it worked for him.

I don't think they had NV ram back then. I think it must have used a lithium cell for code backup. Not sure though. The tech info should spell it out.

From Pioneer the radios were set with a four digit code of 0000 (four zeros). The installer of the radio (SAI) was to change the code after final testing during the installation process. They were to write the code down on a Pioneer Secret Code Card provided by Pioneer and given to the customer. Since the customer was the selling Dodge dealer the secret code card was put in the glove box with the other Shelby manuals.

Now the big question is how many of the 800 Lancers were done this way? Makes you wonder if the Shelby worker just kept using the same code over and over for each car to make his day easier.

Steve

From Pioneer the radios were set with a four digit code of 0000 (four zeros). The installer of the radio (SAI) was to change the code after final testing during the installation process. They were to write the code down on a Pioneer Secret Code Card provided by Pioneer and given to the customer. Since the customer was the selling Dodge dealer the secret code card was put in the glove box with the other Shelby manuals.

Now the big question is how many of the 800 Lancers were done this way? Makes you wonder if the Shelby worker just kept using the same code over and over for each car to make his day easier.

Steve

That sounds about right. I've seen a few threads over the years where folks ask how to get past the code on a new install, new battery, or power up, and every time they were told to use all zeros and it worked for them. So yeah, makes you wonder if the SAI guy ever changed the code at all?

Archived