TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Preserving Dash Plate Signature

jimoco

Hello All: I ordered my Shelby signature dash plate/plaque for the 500 a week ago today (8/14/08). What's the consensus on the best way to preserve Mr. Shelby's signature on these plates? I have seen posts on the SVTOA forum suggesting Krylon lacquer. Is that still - based on everyone's collective experience - the best way to preserve the signature? I specifically asked the sales person at Shelby Peformance Parts when I placed the order, "How is this signature made"? The answer was, "It's a black Sharpie felt tip pin". So this signature will be highly subject to the ravages of time, humidity, UV & mechanical abrasion. I also asked the sales person about preservation - he stated that he has seen some people use a 3M stick on film. I can see where removal would be a difficult proposition. He did not mention Krylon. Thanks, Jim O'Conner

Hello All: I ordered my Shelby signature dash plate/plaque for the 500 a week ago today (8/14/08). What's the consensus on the best way to preserve Mr. Shelby's signature on these plates? I have seen posts on the SVTOA forum suggesting Krylon lacquer. Is that still - based on everyone's collective experience - the best way to preserve the signature? I specifically asked the sales person at Shelby Peformance Parts when I placed the order, "How is this signature made"? The answer was, "It's a black Sharpie felt tip pin". So this signature will be highly subject to the ravages of time, humidity, UV & mechanical abrasion. I also asked the sales person about preservation - he stated that he has seen some people use a 3M stick on film. I can see where removal would be a difficult proposition. He did not mention Krylon. Thanks, Jim O'Conner

I just keep mine covered with a cloth while am am not drivig it. I expect it to last longe than me

When I contacted Sharpie, this is what they said about the signature on the dash plaque.....

Thank you for reaching out to us about our Sharpie® Fine Point Marker. We unfortunately, do not suggest any chemicals or products to seal or protect an autograph because what happens as you mentioned the chemicals mix with the alcohol based ink that makes up the Sharpie and will then cause it to bleed. So again, we do not have a suggested product for you to use. You may be better off leaving it the way it is. Please be assured that your comments have been forwarded to our marketing and quality control departments.

I protected mine with the Krylon 1309 UV Resistant Matte finish. About 6 - 7 light coats.

Looks great. No runs, no problems. The key is light coats.

I protected mine with the Krylon 1309 UV Resistant Matte finish. About 6 - 7 light coats.

Looks great. No runs, no problems. The key is light coats.

I applied a few light coats of Krylon "Preserve It" matte, followed by several coats of Krylon 1309 matte. I cannot over-emphasize light misty initial coats. Shake the can well before application and allow to dry between coats per the instructions on the can.

You know, you pay $300+ bucks for that plaque and sharpie signature and you're afraid it'll fade away. I got a Nike T-shirt that one of the kids dropped a sharpie on back in the '90's and it's not faded away yet!!!

You know, you pay $300+ bucks for that plaque and sharpie signature and you're afraid it'll fade away. I got a Nike T-shirt that one of the kids dropped a sharpie on back in the '90's and it's not faded away yet!!!

Eric Burdon autographed a t-shirt for us with a black sharpie and over the years we have had to go over the signature with a sharpie more than once due to fading.

Archived