TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Jack and Jack stand locations

Doesn't work that way on SGT guys. We didn't get jacks and spare tires and we are too low to the ground. The only way I've been able to do it was to find a good spot underneath with a good low profile floor jack.

...or drive the car up onto a ramp first, then you can use a standard jack. You may need to drive the car onto the ramp in a reverse position when jacking up the front, because if you do it the normal way (drive forward onto the ramp), the ramp itself may be in the way of your floor jack.

Check your FLAPS for the AC Delco low profile aluminum racing jack. Jack with two stands is about 120 bucks around me, and the jack comes apart for easy transportation. I think it's rated at 1.5 ton

You could buy 2 of these Mustang Jacks at your dealership. They are specially made for the notches in the front and back of your car at the piche weld frame.quote]

Will that fit under the SGT?

I really did not realize that those notches for the jack were accessible on the SGT

Oh well, here is what I use. I just couldn't help it the blue and silver aluminum just looks great with the car

post-17244-1219450236_thumb.jpg

And as you can tell, even with the low profile jack you still have to be careful.

post-17244-1219450250_thumb.jpg

Now if I can get my garage looking as good as some of you.

Will that fit under the SGT?

I don't see why not. It's a sissors type jack and you can see that it will go down lower then shown in this Pic. I will let you know next week by measuring it when it is in the down position. Today I ordered 2 of these Ford jacks from my Ford dealership for $32 bucks each to have in my shop for lifting the front end of my Mustangs.

The one in this Photo is under the spare in the GT/CS right now or I would measure it for you.

Jack007.jpg

Thanks for all of your responses. Guess it's not as big a deal as I thought. I am surprised though, that the scissors jack will work on the SGT.

If I use a ramp, then remove a wheel to get to the brakes, the result should be exciting.

Don

Thanks for all of your responses. Guess it's not as big a deal as I thought. I am surprised though, that the scissors jack will work on the SGT.

If I use a ramp, then remove a wheel to get to the brakes, the result should be exciting.

Don

Don,

Give me a few minutes. I will go look at the jack in my wifes GT/CS and measure it in the down position and post the measurement. Could you please measure your car in the front at the pinch weld and post the measurement.

Ilmor,

The jack will work for you. It measures 3-3/4 of an inch tall in the lowered position. When it is in the raised position it goes up 8-3/4 inches tall. This jack is good for taking tires off and working on the brakes and detailing.

All the way down position

Jack023.jpg

Jack024.jpg

Jack025.jpg

Jack026.jpg

Fully UP position

Jack027.jpg

Jack028.jpg

Ilmor,

The jack will work for you. It measures 3-3/4 of an inch tall in the lowered position. When it is in the raised position it goes up 8-3/4 inches tall. This jack is good for taking tires off and working on the brakes and detailing.

All the way down position

Jack023.jpg

Jack024.jpg

Jack025.jpg

Jack026.jpg

Fully UP position

Jack027.jpg

Jack028.jpg

You guys are forgetting something here..... What happens when a tire looses air??? The car gets lower...right? Someone air down a front or rear tire on a SGT and see what the distance is from the floor to the bottom of that pinch weld then! I'd almost bet that it's less than 3-3/4 inches and that is the reason Ford went with the air kits in the trunk instead of a spare tire and jack....

Grabber's GT/CS is not lowered as much as the SGT is...The GT/CS is lowered only about 1/2 inch more than the stock Mustang and the SGT is a full inch lower than that...

Just something to keep in mind here...I don't want to see someone get stranded out on the road thinking that their new jack is going to rescue them in the event of a flat tire....

You guys are forgetting something here..... What happens when a tire looses air??? The car gets lower...right? Someone air down a front or rear tire on a SGT and see what the distance is from the floor to the bottom of that pinch weld then! I'd almost bet that it's less than 3-3/4 inches and that is the reason Ford went with the air kits in the trunk instead of a spare tire and jack....

Grabber's GT/CS is not lowered as much as the SGT is...The GT/CS is lowered only about 1/2 inch more than the stock Mustang and the SGT is a full inch lower than that...

Just something to keep in mind here...I don't want to see someone get stranded out on the road thinking that their new jack is going to rescue them in the event of a flat tire....

The measurement from the stock rim to the black rubber at the road is 3 inches.

The measurment from the ground to the pinch weld on my GT/CS is 6 inches.

COULD YOU PLEASE MEASURE FROM THE GROUND TO THE PINCH WELD ON YOUR SGT AND TELL US WHAT IT IS ?

If the jack is a little tight at the pinch weld depression, all you have to do is slide the jack a few inches torwards the back tire to gain some room. That plastic rocker panel is very flexible. I know I had to replace the passenger side on my GT/CS due to some road damage.

The measurement from the stock rim to the black rubber at the road is 3 inches.

The measurment from the ground to the pinch weld on my GT/CS is 6 inches.

COULD YOU PLEASE MEASURE FROM THE GROUND TO THE PINCH WELD ON YOUR SGT AND TELL US WHAT IT IS ?

If the jack is a little tight at the pinch weld depression, all you have to do is slide the jack a few inches torwards the back tire to gain some room. That plastic rocker panel is very flexible. I know I had to replace the passenger side on my GT/CS due to some road damage.

The measurement from the stock GT500 rim to the black rubber at the road is 3 inches.

The measurment from the ground to the pinch weld on my SGT is 4.5 inches.

As I said, just didn't want someone to have the impression that if they had a flat, they were still going to be able to slide the factory jack under there and be able to get the car up in the air to change a tire...the math just doesn't add up on a SGT...yeah, you'll be close on your GT/CS, but as you said, you could probably move it back a little in an emergency...I just don't want someone to say "Hey! Grabber said it would work, WTF was he thinking?" Your GO GT500 also has more clearance than the SGT with stock rims...Mine is just a hair shorter since I've gone with the GT500 Wheels and Tires which are just a little lower profile than the stock 235/50/ZR18 tire...

I wish there was a way to keep a good space saver spare, jack and lug wrench in there that would work on front or rear even with GT500 brakes, but there just isn't a viable option like that right now...Someone mentioned an earlier 98 Cobra spare, but if I remember, those were 17 inch wheels and still may not give the clearance needed for a GT500 brake set...Just another thing that FORD thought was a "Better Idea"

I really did not realize that those notches for the jack were accessible on the SGT

Oh well, here is what I use. I just couldn't help it the blue and silver aluminum just looks great with the car

And as you can tell, even with the low profile jack you still have to be careful.

Now if I can get my garage looking as good as some of you.

Yep...Exactly what I described ^ there, 'cept mine are red and silver. Low profile, light weight aluminum, and can be disassembled for transportation. Works for me!

...I wish there was a way to keep a good space saver spare, jack and lug wrench in there that would work on front or rear even with GT500 brakes, but there just isn't a viable option like that right now...Someone mentioned an earlier 98 Cobra spare, but if I remember, those were 17 inch wheels and still may not give the clearance needed for a GT500 brake set...Just another thing that FORD thought was a "Better Idea"

There is...

The '03 Marauders came with a full size spare (front tire size), but the '04 Marauders came with an 18" space saver spare tire. Same bolt pattern and fitment, unless you upgraded to a big brake kit. The Marauder also had staggered tire sizes, 235/50-18 front and 255/50-18 rear. Look for it on ebay, or, get one from any F/LM dealer, or a bone yard. These spares are certified by Ford for use and will not disrupt your traction control (which you can turn off), or, damage a limited slip differential with limited use (at least until the next exit).

Happy motoring, gents.

The measurement from the stock GT500 rim to the black rubber at the road is 3 inches.

The measurment from the ground to the pinch weld on my SGT is 4.5 inches.

As I said, just didn't want someone to have the impression that if they had a flat, they were still going to be able to slide the factory jack under there and be able to get the car up in the air to change a tire...the math just doesn't add up on a SGT...yeah, you'll be close on your GT/CS, but as you said, you could probably move it back a little in an emergency...I just don't want someone to say "Hey! Grabber said it would work, WTF was he thinking?" Your GO GT500 also has more clearance than the SGT with stock rims...Mine is just a hair shorter since I've gone with the GT500 Wheels and Tires which are just a little lower profile than the stock 235/50/ZR18 tire...

I wish there was a way to keep a good space saver spare, jack and lug wrench in there that would work on front or rear even with GT500 brakes, but there just isn't a viable option like that right now...Someone mentioned an earlier 98 Cobra spare, but if I remember, those were 17 inch wheels and still may not give the clearance needed for a GT500 brake set...Just another thing that FORD thought was a "Better Idea"

Thanks for checking the measurement on your SGT. It' 1.5 inches lower than my GT/CS.

The purpose of me ordering these 2 factory jacks is to keep them in my shop for a quick and easy way to lift the front of my car up to take the tires off for tire rotations, detailing, brake work, and a little project that I am getting ready to do to my GT500. IMO, I also think it is better to lift the front end of these cars equally on both sides so you don't tweak the car too much. These sissor jacks are made to fit the pinch welds, and they only set me back $32 bucks each

When I said that this jack would work on a SGT, what I was saying is that it would fit under it and lift it so you could pull the tires to work on your car. It was not my intention to tell the SGT owners that they could use this as a jack to get them out of a jam if they got a flat out on the road.

People don't seem to know where to jack these cars safely and have the kind of jack that will fit under the car with out damaging it. I am also going to say that you should put some jack stands under the car as a secondary support system to double protect yourself before you crawl under the car.

Thanks for checking the measurement on your SGT. It' 1.5 inches lower than my GT/CS.

The purpose of me ordering these 2 factory jacks is to keep them in my shop for a quick and easy way to lift the front of my car up to take the tires off for tire rotations, detailing, brake work, and a little project that I am getting ready to do to my GT500. IMO, I also think it is better to lift the front end of these cars equally on both sides so you don't tweak the car too much. These sissor jacks are made to fit the pinch welds, and they only set me back $32 bucks each

When I said that this jack would work on a SGT, what I was saying is that it would fit under it and lift it so you could pull the tires to work on your car. It was not my intention to tell the SGT owners that they could use this as a jack to get them out of a jam if they got a flat out on the road.

People don't seem to know where to jack these cars safely and have the kind of jack that will fit under the car with out damaging it. I am als going to say that you should put some jack stands under the car as a secondary support system to double protect yourself before you crawl under the car.

+1000 Grabber...Last time I checked, My bench press weight was significantly less than the weight of the SGT...LOL ALWAYS use Jackstands!!!

Archived