TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 brakes

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do the GT500 brakes fit behind the stock SGT wheel?

I know a guy who has a GT500 brake set up that he's looking to get rid of-he also has a set of black GT500 wheels. I'm sure the black GT500 wheels would look ok on the SGT, but I don't like the SVT centers. SO, I'd prefer to keep the stock wheels if possible.

Sorry to break to you but I've been told that they will not fit with our stock SGT wheels....trust me I was in the same situation....with so many folks upgrading their GT500 to SS or 40th anniversary packages those brembos are popping up everywhere....I'm still saving for some CS69's so when that opportunity comes around I'll be ready to grab them.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do the GT500 brakes fit behind the stock SGT wheel?

I know a guy who has a GT500 brake set up that he's looking to get rid of-he also has a set of black GT500 wheels. I'm sure the black GT500 wheels would look ok on the SGT, but I don't like the SVT centers. SO, I'd prefer to keep the stock wheels if possible.

You can replace the SVT centers with an available Ford Racing cap. You may even be able to replace them with other caps for S197 Mustang specific wheels.

[quote name=shelbydream1 @ Aug 21 2008, 06:51 AM

Absolutely, positively *NO*. The stock wheels do not have enough offset for the wheel spokes to clear the bigger Brembo calipers. If you want to stay at 18", you can look at FRPP. You need something like M-1007-1895 (stock GT500 polished aliminum wheel ) or the M-1007-1895B1 black face polished lip version of the same. These wheels are 18x9.5, 7.125 backspace and 45mm offset. I went with the black wheel when I upgraded to the GT500 brakes myself.

Todd

07SGT1638

You could also opt for the 18X 9.5" CS Wheel CS69 or the 18 X 9" S1 from American Racing. Not to mention several other brands out there. You can trie the tire rack fitment guide for 18" wheels that fit. Use the GT500 option from the pull down menu.

Also, if you really wish to keep your stock wheels, many have reported good improvement with aftermarket OEM size slotted and/or drilled rotors, pads, and braided lines.

I HAVE THE FORD RACING GT-500 BRAKES...WILL NOT FIT WITH STOCK RIMS, EXCEPT STOCK GT-500 RIMS, THERE ARE A FEW RIMS AVAILABLE, MUST BE 40MM OFFSET, AND EVEN SOME OF THESE WON'T FIT, I BOUGHT RAZORS AND THEY WERE MACHINED AN EXTRA 2MM AT THE SPOKES TO FIT PROPERLY BY AMERICAN RACING.

Thanks everyone-I was pretty sure that was the case from the old board, but wasn't 100% sure. I do like the stock wheels, The guy with the brakes also has a set of black GT500 wheels-just don't like them as well as the ones already on the car. I really like the CS69, so maybe I'll re-explore the GT500 brakes if/when I upgrade to the CS69's.

Archived