TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How do mods affect warranty?

easyjet

I am sure this has been covered somewhere before, so feel free to point me there. I will take delivery of my new '09 coupe (black w/ red stripes) in a few weeks and am considering some fundamental mods: CAI, Tune, possibly pulley. Will these void the Ford warranty in any way (fully or partially)? Also, out of curiosity, any guesses as to what percentage of GT500 owners mod their cars? If you just use this site as a reference, it would seem like a high percentage, but maybe you guys here are the real hardcore minority?

I am sure this has been covered somewhere before, so feel free to point me there. I will take delivery of my new '09 coupe (black w/ red stripes) in a few weeks and am considering some fundamental mods: CAI, Tune, possibly pulley. Will these void the Ford warranty in any way (fully or partially)? Also, out of curiosity, any guesses as to what percentage of GT500 owners mod their cars? If you just use this site as a reference, it would seem like a high percentage, but maybe you guys here are the real hardcore minority?

Yes, this subject has been discuss at great length, but I know how difficult it can be to find stuff here, so I'll respond.

No modifications will automatically "void" your warranty. It is against the law for a dealer to refuse to do warranty work for the sole reason that you have made some modifications.

Now, if your modification was the direct cause of a failure, most likely Ford will not repair that particular failure under warranty. Any other unrelated failures would still be covered.

For example:

1. If you have a CAI and Tune and your tranny self destructs, the repair of the tranny is still covered under warranty. A CAI & Tune isn't going to cause a tranny failure.

2. If you have a CAI and tune and you blow a hole through a piston because your crappy aftermarket tune caused the car to run too lean, the repair would not be covered under warranty.

Hope that helps.

For example:

1. If you have a CAI and Tune and your tranny self destructs, the repair of the tranny is still covered under warranty. A CAI & Tune isn't going to cause a tranny failure.

The tune on my car made some pretty aggressive changes to the shift points and shift pressure to my tranny. I doubt if I blow my tranny that it will be covered under warranty if they find out about my tune. Of course if I DID blow my tranny, I would immediately put it back to stock. :spiteful:

FYI!January 2008 3-131

Other Cancellation Categories

In some instances Ford may cancel all or part of a vehicle’s warranty due to customer abuse,

racing, damage caused by modifications or weather, improper conversion to a limousine, etc. In

these instances a specific message will appear in OASIS such as: Engine warranty coverage

cancelled; Powertrain warranty coverage cancelled; Total Cancellation; Rear Axle Cancelled; –

Regional request, etc. Below are common types of vehicle damage that require warranty

cancellation;

Infrequent or No Vehicle Maintenance

• Cancellation Criteria: Infrequent or no vehicle maintenance has caused engine or

transmission damage or failure * Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain.

Modification or Alteration

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle has been modified or altered for performance enhancement

(for example chips, etc.), resulting in damage to the engine, transmission, or other vehicle

components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle or, in extreme cases,

entire vehicle coverage.

Water Ingestion / Damage

• Cancellation Criteria: Water has been ingested into the vehicle’s powertrain compartment or

elsewhere in the vehicle causing damage to one or more components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain or, in extreme cases, entire vehicle

coverage.

Abuse

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle abuse whether intentional or inadvertent, resulting in damage

to the engine, transmission or other vehicle components. Types of abuse may included fuel

contamination, aggressive driving behavior, racing, aftermarket fluid additives, etc.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle, Body/Paint or, in extreme

cases, Entire Vehicle Coverage.

Odometer Tampering

• Cancellation Criteria: The odometer shows signs of tampering.

• Cancellation Types: Entire Vehicle Coverage.

Unauthorized Repair or Parts

• Cancellation Criteria: Vehicle repair or service has been performed by an unqualified repair

facility or a non-Ford part has been installed, resulting in damage to the engine,

transmission, or other vehicle components.

• Cancellation Types: Engine, Transmission, Powertrain, Rear Axle or, in extreme cases,

Entire Vehicle Coverage.

Archived