TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage Floor

ACCLERCR

Having a garage built for my baby (of course, my 2008 Shelby GT500)...wanted to know what is the best coating or flooring to apply for the virgin concrete flooring.

Any experts out there? Please help...thanks! Keep in mind that the garage is for THE CAR and will not be filled with crap...

Stay away from cheap water based products marketed to homeowners.

Prep is the key. Sanding and acid etching are highly recommended. Be sure and let the concrete fully cure if it is new.

After that use a primer coat, followed by a base coat (or two) and optionally a clear coat. Don't forget a traction component. Those floors are especially slippery when wet!

Of course, they make tiles and floor mats. But, those are 2 to 3 times more expensive. Look nice tho.

i painted my floor first with cement paint,then i added the diamond tuff huge floor mats from the price club $200 each.

it really keeps the humidity from the floor away from the car during storage and you can slide them out of the garage from time to time for an easy clean up :happy feet: i even roll one up from time to time to bring with me to show the car on top of the mat for the indoor car shows. it is also an easy clean up from oil spills etc...

I really like that look.

Is there any problem with snow melt getting under it and freezing?

The garage stays warm enough that run-off doesn't freeze. You'll notice different looking tiles between the checker pattern and Shelby's spot. Those are vented tiles that allow air to circulate under the floor and evaporate any moisture. Works great.

What was the cost of that little set up you've got there?

600 sq ft @ 2.99/sq ft = $1,800

Having a garage built for my baby (of course, my 2008 Shelby GT500)...wanted to know what is the best coating or flooring to apply for the virgin concrete flooring.

Any experts out there? Please help...thanks! Keep in mind that the garage is for THE CAR and will not be filled with crap...

Hi,

I have done industrial floor coatings for 20+ years and there are great products out there for sure, but most are not the easiest to work with.

First, you say this is a freshly poured floor which means no permanent coating (ie- 2 component epoxy or urethanes) can be applied until the moisture has cured out of the slab. This normally takes between 60 and 90 days or longer depending on conditions. There are liquid moisture barriers that can be applied but they cost $1.00+ per sq ft just for the material. After curing, if you plan to use a premanent coating, then I would still recommend doing a moisture test to verify that the slab has cured. If you apply these types of coating on a "wet" floor it will look good for a while and then it will begin to bubble and peel and then it's expensive and messy to remove.

The Masco product that Grabber used is suitable for freshly poured concrete (curing compound) and will hold up well in a garage, except if you get gas, brake fluid, antifreeze, etc on it. Also, it is only available in clear, to my knowledge.

That being said, I plan to use the racedeck in my basement garage. The polished concrete is also a great option .

Good luck

I am looking at coating my floor.

I believe the best out there is Polyaspartic Polyurea made by Citadel Floor Finishing Systems.

The quote I received was for type CCFS-PG-100, two component 100% solids with flakes of choice. The area size is 1520 sq. ft., quoted price $9,082.00, that includes filling all control joints and coating stairs going up to the attic. Everyone I talked to claims this type of coating is the latest in coatings over epoxy type. Floor prep is the most important to any coatings. Shot blast or grinding is preferred method.

Step #1: shot blast or coarse diamond concrete grinder

Step #2: prime coat

Step #3: base coat and broadcast color chips

Step #4: the entire floor is scraped in both directions for uniform appearance

Step #5: clear coat, vehicle traffic in 24 hours

I had a garage floor company do mine. They sanded and treated the concrete, applied the coating with flakes in it. The thing that is cool, is you can pick the color of the base coat and the flake they put in it. I looked at doing it myself about the same way as doing the bed liner of my truck. Sure I could of went to the parts store and bought sealer and rolled it on. But, I choose a professional spray on liner at Line X.

Archived