TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Dodge Events

Just wanted to say thank you to all you Dodge guys for holding down the fort during my absence this past month. I'm glad to see that the Dodge forums ran smoothly and that we picked up a few more Dodge members.

While Carroll may not read our forums he does stay very involved in whats going on and I'm very pleased that we are representing the Dodge years in such a positive light. Again thanks to everybody for making our little area of Team Shelby shine.

On a related note we at Team Shelby have a lot of Dodge projects in the pipeline. Things are a little behind now but I'm will do my best to get everything back up to speed asap. When the first announcements are made I'm sure everyone will be excited and will agree it was worth the wait.

Steve

Oh great. Here I am praising you guys and then I come across the SAAC thread :shrug:

No harm but you guys sure did walk up to the line on that one. :yup:

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about SAAC letting the Dodge cars on the track. We have several Team Shelby events each year that you can run your Dodge cars at and SDAC has their annual convention that works for many folks.

Lets give SAAC some time to regroup as they are surely making some changes right now to better their club. I also think this subject should be taken directly to Rick Kopec or Ken Eber when the time is right.

Just my two.

Steve

Oh great. Here I am praising you guys and then I come across the SAAC thread :shrug:

No harm but you guys sure did walk up to the line on that one. :yup:

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about SAAC letting the Dodge cars on the track. We have several Team Shelby events each year that you can run your Dodge cars at and SDAC has their annual convention that works for many folks.

Lets give SAAC some time to regroup as they are surely making some changes right now to better their club. I also think this subject should be taken directly to Rick Kopec or Ken Eber when the time is right.

Just my two.

Steve

I've been thinking about this since SAAC 33. I'm of the early opinion that SAAC should concentrate on the 1962-1970 Ford based products.

Let's say SAAC goes full tilt and accepts the Dodge branded products. Where would that leave SDAC? Would there then be a need for SDAC or would it be an effort in duplication?

Unlike SAAC, Team Shelby was designed to focus on all Shelby products. SAAC's focus lies in the Shelby American products.

I'd like to see a variety of events that feature all the three groups together: SAAC, SDAC and TS.

I doubt know if this is an acceptable solution, but at least it starts a dialog. What's your thought?

Robert I'm pretty much in agreement with ya. I would like to see more Dodge participation in the Team Shelby events first. Mid-America 2009 will be a great test for the Dodge guys.

But I'm also open for members to have their input and if they feel there are enough Dodge enthusiasts wanting to attend a SAAC convention they should be able to voice that concern. It's just that SAAC thread was probably not the best timing but hey I've made many oops in my time.

I'm hoping that Rick & Ken from SAAC will attend Mid America next year. Perhaps if they see how many and how well the Dodge cars interact with the RWD's it may change their policy on which cars SAAC allows on the track.

Lets have stoked and JamesL post their thoughts since they are way more passionate on this subject.

Steve

I've been thinking about this since SAAC 33. I'm of the early opinion that SAAC should concentrate on the 1962-1970 Ford based products.

Let's say SAAC goes full tilt and accepts the Dodge branded products. Where would that leave SDAC? Would there then be a need for SDAC or would it be an effort in duplication?

Unlike SAAC, Team Shelby was designed to focus on all Shelby products. SAAC's focus lies in the Shelby American products.

I'd like to see a variety of events that feature all the three groups together: SAAC, SDAC and TS.

I doubt know if this is an acceptable solution, but at least it starts a dialog. What's your thought?

To go a little further in what was posted in the other thread, I understand folks wanted answers to questions, but it isn't up to TS to speak for SAAC any more than it is up to TS to speak for SDAC. If folks want to urge SAAC to do other than what they have done in the past (as far as inclusiveness) then I agree with Steve that it should be taken up with Rick or Ken, or at least start such a discussion on the SAAC forum.

And I agree fully with Rob's thoughts above. TS provides a place for SAAC and SDAC to coexist with the newer Shelby offerings. Shared events under TS should probably be a real blast to attend!

My point was and still is that I ALREADY participate in SDAC and I ALREADY particpate with Team Shelby, I :wub: them both. I'd like to also participate with SAAC and see how it fits, like say the local Santa Monica Pier show September 6th. I did send an email to LaSAAC management asking if Team Shelby members with later generation cars would be welcome in the enthusiast or another class. I have yet to recieve a reply :shrug: Should I take that as my answer?

Alan

Welcome back, SM.

I don't see the harm in SAAC allowing the Shelby Dodges into their events. However, Robert is probably correct and they will continue to focus on the early Ford cars. Either way, its not my call to make. I will bring the Ford to SAAC events if need be, but ,at the moment I am more excited about TS and the ability for all Shelby cars to participate. We had a blast at the B'Day Bash and the C&C get together. We are looking forward to representing the Shelby Dodge crew at Terlingua in a few weeks. We should have a few surprises in store, :happy feet:

Robert I'm pretty much in agreement with ya. I would like to see more Dodge participation in the Team Shelby events first. Mid-America 2009 will be a great test for the Dodge guys.

But I'm also open for members to have their input and if they feel there are enough Dodge enthusiasts wanting to attend a SAAC convention they should be able to voice that concern. It's just that SAAC thread was probably not the best timing but hey I've made many oops in my time.

I'm hoping that Rick & Ken from SAAC will attend Mid America next year. Perhaps if they see how many and how well the Dodge cars interact with the RWD's it may change their policy on which cars SAAC allows on the track.

Lets have stoked and JamesL post their thoughts since they are way more passionate on this subject.

Steve

I just received a note from the Mid-America people. They will not accept the Shelby Dodges at the track or in the car show for 2009+.

To go a little further in what was posted in the other thread, I understand folks wanted answers to questions, but it isn't up to TS to speak for SAAC any more than it is up to TS to speak for SDAC. If folks want to urge SAAC to do other than what they have done in the past (as far as inclusiveness) then I agree with Steve that it should be taken up with Rick or Ken, or at least start such a discussion on the SAAC forum.

And I agree fully with Rob's thoughts above. TS provides a place for SAAC and SDAC to coexist with the newer Shelby offerings. Shared events under TS should probably be a real blast to attend!

Well said, Barry. Whatever SAAC decides to do is up to them. I do understand your view though Alan.

Team Shelby was designed and is committed to having events that encompass everything that Carroll Shelby made. I am glad to see Dodges at the events and look forward to more of them attending events.

I just received a note from the Mid-America people. They will not accept the Shelby Dodges at the track or in the car show for 2009+.

Well that's their loss then :closedeyes: Robert thanks for this update.

It's really not that big of a deal if M/A or SAAC doesn't want the Dodge cars participating. In the past we had only one big event per year thru SDAC. Now that Team Shelby is around we have several events across the country each year so I'd say things are looking good for us.

Also keep in mind that Team Shelby can add other events to the calendar. All we need is participation to get it done. Carroll, Amy and I have had discussions thru out this year about bringing a winter event back to Vegas.

In fact we had planned for a combo event this October that was to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first Dodge Shelby and the 10th anniversary of the Vegas facility. The proposal was for TS to have exclusive use of the 1/4 mile track at the Speedway, the use of a Dyno at Shelby's, a car show in Shelby's parking lot, Shelby Autos factory tours, guest speakers, entertainment, lunch provided by the Shelby Cafe, raffles & goody bags and ending with a nice dinner with Carroll & friends.

Let me repeat this event is NOT happening. The TS schedule got too crowded and this event was a casualty of scheduling conflicts.

The reason I am mentioning it is because if this is something the TS members would like to see happen we at Team Shelby need to hear from you. The more enthusiasm Carroll and Amy see from us the easier it will be to have events like this.

So post your ideas/thoughts on what you would like to see from Team Shelby and we will do our best to accommodate them. Amy does visit our Dodge area and has been impressed with our enthusiasm. She and Carroll would like to see even more Dodge members participating in the forums so if you haven't posted lately why not start in this thread. And of course tell your friends about Team Shelby.

Steve

Well that just sucks! :banghead: I was pretty stoked when Sharon said they would and then when I learned that it was not a SAAC event I was ecstatic. It seemed like a lock. So I’m back to SDAC and TS events only which is fine. I’m OK with each of the clubs deciding what they will and won’t allow. I think it stinks that they decide any Shelby but a Shelby Dodge. But, it’s their business and they can run it in what ever way they think is appropriate to their bottom line. I am truly thankful that Team Shelby has formed and has provided a venue for all Shelby inspired vehicles. My issues are really a bit more selfish, though I suspect that I speak for several others. I don’t have all the time and money in the world to run all over the country to drive and show my cars. It is that consideration that I take into account when I ask whether or not SAAC or any Shelby affiliated club will accept a Shelby built car sporting a Dodge platform. It simply provides for the possibility that I could enter more events held in my region that are Shelby related; or if I can’t swing a cross country trip, something closer might be available; or worst case, if a club goes under there are still other options. I had hoped that any agreement related to license usage would have included some requirement to be inclusive of any Shelby built/inspired car. Or that any event partnered with TS would be inclusive of any Shelby inspired car. This IMO would have done more to solidify the Shelby legacy then to simply rubber stamp the status quo with emphasis on accounting and communication, though I admit I know nothing about it. I’m pretty much done with the subject though. I think SAAC has heard us so the ball in their court. As for Mid-America or MCA I’m disappointed and will have to reconsider my yearly trek to Tulsa with my Ford.

I'm going to rename this topic: Shelby Dodge Events.

Going forward, with the exception of Tulsa, we're planning several Team Shelby events and they WILL include the Dodges.

Currently, we are organizing regions. We're working with the Oklahoma region and they love the idea of having the Dodges there. Same with the Florida region.

As for a Shelby Dodge event in Las Vegas, this will happen. We'll post more details as they come together.

Team Shelby desires a healthy SDAC and we look forward to working with them and their regions in 2009 and beyond.

So not to worry, 2009 will be a great year for SDAC and Team Shelby ;)

As for a Shelby Dodge event in Las Vegas, this will happen. We'll post more details as they come together.

I should have made it clearer in my post that a Vegas event is still in the works, it just wont be in October and it wont be celebrating the two anniversaries. I just didn't want anyone to get confused and think that the October event was a go. Thanks Robert for catching that.

Vegas will happen baby :burnout:

Steve

I have been spreading the good news about Team Shelby on several forums. Along with the great resource this website is, I have been infomring others about the inclusiveness of Shelby Dodges at Team Shelby events. I was asked if only numbered Shelby Dodges in other words, Shelby Dodges that had hands on Shelby treatment are the only ones allowed. Will for example a Dodge Charger that has the Shelby decal grahics applied by Dodge or a 87 Shelby Z be allowed?

I was asked if only numbered Shelby Dodges in other words, Shelby Dodges that had hands on Shelby treatment are the only ones allowed. Will for example a Dodge Charger that has the Shelby decal grahics applied by Dodge or a 87 Shelby Z be allowed?

James, thanks for spreading the word. Regarding which cars would be allowed, well for right now we are going with the traditional Shelby badged and Shelby inspired cars besides the Whittier numbered cars.

For example a 1983 Dodge Shelby Charger is just fine but a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron probably wouldn't be. Now of course there will be some gray areas like the Rampage owners who have retrofitted Shelby drivetrains into them. Unless I hear otherwise they will be allowed.

My personal position is show me a Shelby connection and I'll do my best to make sure you're allowed to run but let me add that the final decision will be Carroll's and Amy's.

We are here for the members and want everyone to have a great time at the various Team Shelby events but you have to remember we are a Shelby club and although your Chrysler New Yorker is all pimped out the odds are it would be turned down for track activities. I'm confident these same rules would apply to the Ford guys, meaning no pimped out Taurus cars on the track either.

Again let me stress that I do understand there will be gray areas and we at Team Shelby will address them when they come up.

Steve

I have been spreading the good news about Team Shelby on several forums. Along with the great resource this website is, I have been infomring others about the inclusiveness of Shelby Dodges at Team Shelby events. I was asked if only numbered Shelby Dodges in other words, Shelby Dodges that had hands on Shelby treatment are the only ones allowed. Will for example a Dodge Charger that has the Shelby decal grahics applied by Dodge or a 87 Shelby Z be allowed?

Although I own 3 '87 CSX's, I really hope that my '87 Shelby Z would be allowed into any and all TS events that allow Shelby Dodges :)

Archived