TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT STRIPE PROBLEMS

STSVT

I was looking around at some dealerships one had a new 08 sgt coupe. The sales person said the vinyl stripes had just been replaced due to the originals with the usual spotting problems. I took a closer look at the car and the stripes on the hood were narrower than the original painted stripes on the hood scoop. As we all know the 08sgt hood scoop is riveted on so they had to remove the hood scoop and reinstall it but the stripes just didnt line up . I think they left the original front bumper stripes on the car because they were wider than the new vinyl hood stripes. The roof stripes looked ok as far as i could see and the trunk looked ok . The sales person said the replacement stripes came from shelby under warranty. Maybe they didnt. Just wanted to know if any SGT owners had these problems with replacement stripes from shelby. THANKS FOR ANY INFO

I have yet to see an 08 (I have looked at approximately 8 new ones on dealer lots) without pinched or some other defect in the stripes. Its obvious that nobody is performing a quality check before they are loaded on the trailer.

I have an 08 Grabber an my stripes are lifting on the drivers side top of the hood. I can see it when I am sitting in the seat. Man it really bugs to see that but I haven't had time to take it in. I also need a side scoop fixed because they painted over a defect and I have 3 paint drips on the passenger door. We need some quality control here people. Sorry just frustrated. :censored:

I was looking around at some dealerships one had a new 08 sgt coupe. The sales person said the vinyl stripes had just been replaced due to the originals with the usual spotting problems. I took a closer look at the car and the stripes on the hood were narrower than the original painted stripes on the hood scoop. As we all know the 08sgt hood scoop is riveted on so they had to remove the hood scoop and reinstall it but the stripes just didnt line up . I think they left the original front bumper stripes on the car because they were wider than the new vinyl hood stripes. The roof stripes looked ok as far as i could see and the trunk looked ok . The sales person said the replacement stripes came from shelby under warrenty. Maybe they didnt. Just wanted to know if any SGT owners had these problems with replacement stripes from shelby. THANKS FOR ANY INFO

First the hood scoop stripes are not painted on. The scoop is grey with a blue tape strip down the center to make it look that way you may know that but the way you worded it sounded different.

The 08 stripes are not known to have a "spotting" problem that I am aware of. The 08's use the higher quality stripes (maybe early ones didn't?) that address the spotting issues seen on the 07's.

The stripes, IF they came from Shelby are precut and are exactly right no issues of size. Now where the issue comes in are in the installation! Here is what I think is going on here and with a ruler you can check this out.

I think you will find that the gap between the stripes on the hood is more than 1" in between. The hood is curved and unless the stripe guy is good and experienced the stripes will have a tendency to move away from the center line as they move down. Measure the roof and trunk stripes you will see exactly 1" space. Measure the hood in different places. My guess is you will find everything from 1" to 1.5" gape between stripes.

Once that was done the installer was left with stripes that extended 1/4" or more further out than they should. So what did they do? They trimmed them hoping no one would notice! :finger:

Anyway, this is a guess based upon what I have seen happen over and over but in any case Shelby does NOT send out stripes that are wrong and if they are the dealer should have reordered them. In this case they won't because their installer messed it up which means if the dealer wanted to replace them it would be out of their pocket and not covered under warranty. It does make you wonder though if the buyer wanted them fixed what would happen?

As for the stripe issues on 08's in general this is due to the scoop issues and will be addressed with the new scoop design. When you get the new scoop you will need to have your stripes replaced and then watch for the above as well!

Good point on the warranty will Shelby extend warranty on these items BMW extended my warranty for 10 years on M3 engine due to problems, my car is 2 years old Feb 09 and I have only had one scoop replaced I am playing the waiting game seems way too many problems with scoops and stripes rest of car is good BUT again these are issues that should have been fixed at Quality control before leaving factory. But like most companies it is called get product out and fix later, I put up with that in my 25 years in Army with new weapon systems Bruce

Good point on the warranty will Shelby extend warranty on these items BMW extended my warranty for 10 years on M3 engine due to problems, my car is 2 years old Feb 09 and I have only had one scoop replaced I am playing the waiting game seems way too many problems with scoops and stripes rest of car is good BUT again these are issues that should have been fixed at Quality control before leaving factory. But like most companies it is called get product out and fix later, I put up with that in my 25 years in Army with new weapon systems Bruce

I believe the majority of the issues with the 08's happened over time as the scoop moved around. SAI, to my knowledge, thought they fixed issues with the updated scoop design and upgraded stripes. That didn't happen but again these things seem to develop over time, at least that's been my experience.

I believe the majority of the issues with the 08's happened over time as the scoop moved around. SAI, to my knowledge, thought they fixed issues with the updated scoop design and upgraded stripes. That didn't happen but again these things seem to develop over time, at least that's been my experience.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INPUT

Guys and gals,

if you have spotting problems with stripes, here are a few solutions. Remember to do this in the shade and test in an inconspicuous area FIRST. My Super Snake got salt stains during shipping. As you probably realize, flat black shows the most.

If your stripes are fine except for spotting, this may help alot, and save you the hassle and worry about having the stripes replaced:

1) Flush with cold water and scrub with a toothbrush- can work for minor prob's 2) Same as above, but with mild automotive soap 3) Same as above but use Simple Green- according to directions- instead of soap 3) Wash with distilled White vinegar, gently rub with a microfiber cloth, flush with water. Came across this on a Shelby Forum. The guys said it worked well on the S-GT stripes for hard water stains. I did not try because I tried the next solution first, and it worked. 4) On a Meguiar's forum, guys with the last generation Mach 1's were using Maguiar's NXT wax on their flat black stripes and were very happy. Tried it on an inconspicuous area and it worked great. Did the whole car by applying gently with a clean wax applicator IN THE SHADE, wiping off in a circular motion with a clean microfiber cloth before it dried, then went over again with a clean microfiber cloth afterwards. Make sure you go in the direction of the stripes to prevent lifting.Some spots took several applications to remove the stains. The stripes still look pretty flat, with slightly (very very slightly) more shine to them. All spots disappeared and it looks great!

Chris

Just hope all these warranty issues with the hood scoops and stripes are resolved before our warrantys runs out!!

Some of the cars warranty have to be about half up, atleast the 3/36. Leaves me to wonder what will happen if there is no scoop fix before then, for the cars that need it of course.

Guys and gals,

if you have spotting problems with stripes, here are a few solutions. Remember to do this in the shade and test in an inconspicuous area FIRST. My Super Snake got salt stains during shipping. As you probably realize, flat black shows the most.

If your stripes are fine except for spotting, this may help alot, and save you the hassle and worry about having the stripes replaced:

1) Flush with cold water and scrub with a toothbrush- can work for minor prob's 2) Same as above, but with mild automotive soap 3) Same as above but use Simple Green- according to directions- instead of soap 3) Wash with distilled White vinegar, gently rub with a microfiber cloth, flush with water. Came across this on a Shelby Forum. The guys said it worked well on the S-GT stripes for hard water stains. I did not try because I tried the next solution first, and it worked. 4) On a Meguiar's forum, guys with the last generation Mach 1's were using Maguiar's NXT wax on their flat black stripes and were very happy. Tried it on an inconspicuous area and it worked great. Did the whole car by applying gently with a clean wax applicator IN THE SHADE, wiping off in a circular motion with a clean microfiber cloth before it dried, then went over again with a clean microfiber cloth afterwards. Make sure you go in the direction of the stripes to prevent lifting.Some spots took several applications to remove the stains. The stripes still look pretty flat, with slightly (very very slightly) more shine to them. All spots disappeared and it looks great!

Chris

Thanks for summarizing some methods for removing the spots. I'm starting to get quite a few water spots on the stripes of my 07 SGT despite the fact that I use the Mr. Clean car wash nozzle which filters the water to reduce the chance of hard water spots and I aways towel dry them when finished. I'll give some of these approaches a try.

I'm also wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent the spots from showing up in the first place other than making sure they have a good coat of wax.

-yellow pony

Some of the spotting i have been seeing on the 2008 SGT,S are like a brownish color weird but the stains are slightly textured like they were almost etched into the vinyl. Dont know if its true or not but i spoke to a ford rep and he said the brownish stains on the stripes are actually some kind of mineral that gets into the vinyl and over time reacts with the enviorment mostly due to acidic rain. I guess it kinda makes sense if you think about it . These cars are from vegas and stored outside SIA the desert sand is everywhere i guess it gets into the vinyl surface and has some kind of reaction later . Maybe the spots should be left alone they are original to the car and will be worth something more at the Barret Jackson auction in the future :hysterical: (LOL) sorry guys just kidding.

Maybe the spots should be left alone they are original to the car and will be worth something more at the Barret Jackson auction in the future :hysterical: (LOL) sorry guys just kidding.

Haha, yea! This car came with the original spotted stripes! Bidding starts at 12 million dollars!

The 08 stripes are not known to have a "spotting" problem that I am aware of. The 08's use the higher quality stripes (maybe early ones didn't?) that address the spotting issues seen on the 07's.

Hi Jeff,

My 2008 SGT is number 0282. I don't know if that is considered "early" or not but the stripes and hood scoop are both perfect.

Jim

Mine is 08SGT1287 and I have wrinkles at nearly every rivet. Wrinkles around the corners, along the windshield and at the front two rivets, one on each side. I've reported that and rusty hood pin cables to my dealer.

if u get stripes replaced wont the new stripes get spotted too over time if its the same material? nevermind i guess they have higher quality material now.

but anyway watch for bird poo...it will fade the silver on the old stripes. at least it did on mine...i didnt know a bird poop was on there till much later...it was durring a rainy time anyway. so it must have washed most of it off to where i didnt notice it but the residue must have been left behind and it ate into the stripe. but this was all before goin into the shop to repair hail damage. so i'm gettin new stripes anyway

Archived