TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing Navigation System?

DocBlack

Any suggestions on how to remove the nav system from the dash without damage to anything?

I'm guessing there's special tools that slip in and disengage it from the dash?

The car is not mobile so I can't take it to the stereo pros for the swap to the new car. I need to remove it myself but hated to call an audio shop and ask how.

Doc

DOC

Its actually pretty easy. There is a tool kit that allows you to slide in pins and extract the radio. They are special. I will PM later with the brand and where to buy. The radio will pop out with these..

Eddie

Any suggestions on how to remove the nav system from the dash without damage to anything?

I'm guessing there's special tools that slip in and disengage it from the dash?

The car is not mobile so I can't take it to the stereo pros for the swap to the new car. I need to remove it myself but hated to call an audio shop and ask how.

Doc

Looking to sell it after you do the swap?

The Navigation unit is in a wrecked/totaled car that I'm basically "parting out." I've bought a new one just like it except with the Shaker, so I'm putting the nav in the new car. Then the stereo from the new car is available to sell if anyone needs one.

jcthorne: could you elaborate on removing the center stack bezel? I really don't want to tear anything up in the dash of either car. Hate to just start prying on it somewhere.

jcthorne: could you elaborate on removing the center stack bezel? I really don't want to tear anything up in the dash of either car. Hate to just start prying on it somewhere.

Its fairly easy to do....

First you need to remove the top part of the center console (or lift it out of the way enough). Open your console door and you'll find 2 screws at the rear, remove them. Then grab ahold of the piece and lift the entire thing upwards (make sure your parking brake is up). Its held on by those clip things, it just pops off. I've found its easiest to pop the rear up first and then the front. You can lift it up just enough to slide it rearward.

Next remove the two side pieces (on each side of the stereo) and set them aside. They're held on by clips also....just pull them towards the rear of the car and they'll pop off.

Now remove the radio bezel by removing the screws (6 I think). You'll have to disconnect or remove the AC controls and the other buttons to get it out.

Then remove the stereo/nav unit by removing the 4 screws, slide it out, unplug, and there you go.

Its been a while, but I think that's pretty much it. Reverse procedure for reinstall.

Pig

Doc

I checked with my brother,and I went to look at my car just now and I did not see the extraction points, so taking off the trim piece will be the way to go The radios is held by 4 10 mm bolts hold it in place.. check this web site for all the info www.metraonline.com

Eddie

You may be able to remove and plug in the nav headunit to your new car , but I doubt it will work correctly when you power it up. The ACM will not recognize it and it will most likely act weird. What i mean is the display may not come on, changing the station with the tune button may do something completely unexpected like change the volume, etc. etc. This swap will need to be performed by the dealer. Hopefully all of the required wiring will be in the dash and the same as the shaker. Good luck

You may be able to remove and plug in the nav headunit to your new car , but I doubt it will work correctly when you power it up. The ACM will not recognize it and it will most likely act weird. What i mean is the display may not come on, changing the station with the tune button may do something completely unexpected like change the volume, etc. etc. This swap will need to be performed by the dealer. Hopefully all of the required wiring will be in the dash and the same as the shaker. Good luck

So the ACM needs to be reprogrammed?

I don't have a dealer mechanic that I have a lot of confidence in so I want to know what I'm talkin about when I take it there for the swap.

I'll still have to remove the nav at home, but no problem.

Thanks for your help

I don't have a dealer mechanic that I have a lot of confidence in so I want to know what I'm talkin about when I take it there for the swap.

Thanks for your help

The write up above is pretty much it for removal. Make sure to get the GPS antenna from the donor car and install it under the dash of the new install. Yes you will have to get the radio reprogrammed to work in the new car unless they are both GT500s from the same build then the swap MIGHT work without programming. The radio gets a good deal of its info from the data stream and each Ford is slighly different. Your dealer likely has an outsourced Visteon Radio service guy that comes by once or twice a week. That guy will know exactly how to program the radio and will have the software to do so on his laptop. Find out when the radio repair guy is there and make an appointment. They usually get about a half hour labor to do the programming if the radio does not need to be removed for some reason.

Thanks for your help

DOC - I think you'll be OK and won't need to worry about reprogramming since you're going from Mustang to Mustang. When I swapped my Autophile to Nav in my F-150 3 years ago it was a different story! Since mine Nav unit was out of a Mercury it needed to be sent to a guy in Boston, at the time he was the only person in the country who could reprogram these units. If you do experience glitches I think United Radio can reprogram these now. They are great people and are always helpful!

BTW ... make sure you remove the GPS antenna when you pull the Nav out of your wrecked car!

both cars are are 08 GT500, identical in every way except the new one has the red accent interior, has the shaker 1000 instead of nav., and has regular halogens instead of HID headlights.....so maybe I wont have programming issues. I'm not sure about exact build dates but the code on the main computer module under the hood is even the same so I'm assuming I won't have to have Kenne Bell reprogram either, just swap the SCers.

I envision now having basically a combination of nav and shaker 1000 sound! Am I overlooking anything else here?

Thanks for all the insight everyone.

Doc

I think this just answered my questions, but I'm considering the purchase of an '07 w/o nav and we had looked at an '08 w/nav. Wife and I were talking about it last night after I saw several Ford Nav systems on ebay......so this isn't as easy as when I swapped my 8 track for a cassette???

Thanks!

Hey JC,

Are these mods the type of thing a good sound shop could take care of if I take them the nav system and the new car with the 1000.

Yes. You need to use the front sub outputs from the head unit to drive the rear subs as well. Requires a bit of custom wiring and a copy of the wiring diagrams for the audio system but its doable. You could also use the rear speaker lines and a step down to drive the rear amps but that's not the suggested route.

Oh, you will need to run the remote turn on line too.

Archived