TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Problem With Stripes

Need some help :sos: I got my SS home thursday. :happy feet: This week end I was cleaning it and when I pick it up they just

fiinshed cleaning it. We put it in the trailer. Apparently it was completely water free I got hard water spots on the flat black stripes.

Also took it for a spin down the road and noticed liked little light oil spots on the sides the were smeared. Ones on the rear are dots.

Next problem I guess the other hood cover up the black plastic were the windshield wipers are there scratches on it I tried back to

black on them just made them more noticiably. Oh the cars Metallic Alloy so I need to keep the stripes flat.Need all the help I can get.

I'm working on pictures never did it before.

THANKS JERRY

Hi Jerry,

My advice would be to not do anything else until you first contact a good, well known, detail or autobody shop with a good reputation, or maybe even somebody with Ford, and either get their advice or let them clean it up for you. Most types of vinyl stripes although reasonably durable, can be pretty fragile and finicky if you put the wrong kind of chemical on them. So you might want to be real careful about using the wrong kind of cleaner or polish on them. The last thing you want to do is inadvertently screw them up to where they cannot be fairly easily corrected, then have to replace them, which could be rather expensive.

I went down this road with my 1969 Hurst Oldsmobile, and the vinyl decals that are on the hood scoops. I ended up having to replace them.

Have you contacted Shelby to see if they will stand behind their work? If it was due to something they did or caused, they may make it right for you. It never hurts to ask. Actually, that is probably the first thing you should do, before you do anything that might make it worse. If you don't contact them immediately and document the problem, they might think it is something you caused and not be willing to remedy it.

Good luck.

Doc

Of course, we ALWAYS stand behind our work!

I sent Bud an email with what I found works the best for Super Snake stripes, and it's really pretty simple. Not every shop knows these things, so be careful as to what you do.

PM me your email address or call/email Bud or Donnie B. at Shelby to get the info. We are always happy to help!

Chris

Of course, we ALWAYS stand behind our work!

I sent Bud an email with what I found works the best for Super Snake stripes, and it's really pretty simple. Not every shop knows these things, so be careful as to what you do.

PM me your email address or call/email Bud or Donnie B. at Shelby to get the info. We are always happy to help!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Getting my SS back next week. Would really love to learn about what works best on the stripes. Can you post the product names and or procedures

or you can pm me if need be

Thanks

Keith

When #3 was delivered off the truck I think it had some OIL or something similiar on the stripes. After he got it home he really noticed it. He asked me about trying to get replacement stripes. I talked to Bud and he told me what to do and they came out PERFECT!!!

I cant remember what the product was, but Im sure Chris or Bud will post it. I will go back thru my stuff and see if I can find it.

michael morris

Hi Chris,

Getting my SS back next week. Would really love to learn about what works best on the stripes. Can you post the product names and or procedures

or you can pm me if need be

Thanks

Keith

I agree with posting the remedy. Rather than having continue to deal with it individually on your end, it might save you some time in the long run if you choose to share it with the rest of the group. That way you could refer any other folks that have the issue in the future to the posted solution instead of Emailing/messaging back and forth. Could also help prevent people from trying their home remedies and screwing up their stripes if the answer is available in the Forum. Isn't that something Forums are for, to help people by sharing information?

Doc

Need some help :sos: I got my SS home thursday. :happy feet: This week end I was cleaning it and when I pick it up they just

fiinshed cleaning it. We put it in the trailer. Apparently it was completely water free I got hard water spots on the flat black stripes.

Also took it for a spin down the road and noticed liked little light oil spots on the sides the were smeared. Ones on the rear are dots.

Next problem I guess the other hood cover up the black plastic were the windshield wipers are there scratches on it I tried back to

black on them just made them more noticiably. Oh the cars Metallic Alloy so I need to keep the stripes flat.Need all the help I can get.

THANKS JERRY

I had the same problem with mine when I got it home I wet it down and dried off. I think it was the 1st time the stripes had been wet. It had spots like oil drops on it. I asked Bud about it and he recomended "Mothers finish polish. It worked perfect and didn't put any shine on the stripes. I've washed the car several times since and they haven't returned.

Hope this helps.

Oz

• 1 month later...

THANKS JERRY

Jerry, I took my GT500 to a shop here in Las Vegas, Rich takes care of some of the finest cars in Las Vegas. Here is a link to one of the postings in his forum about a SS that needed some help. I can't tell you how pleased I am with my GT500. Check out his site and I know he is always available for phone calls.

http://www.glossitonline.com/gloss_shine_s...uper_snake.html

Richard Faircloth

• 2 months later...
Jerry, I took my GT500 to a shop here in Las Vegas, Rich takes care of some of the finest cars in Las Vegas. Here is a link to one of the postings in his forum about a SS that needed some help. I can't tell you how pleased I am with my GT500. Check out his site and I know he is always available for phone calls.

http://www.glossitonline.com/gloss_shine_s...uper_snake.html

Richard Faircloth

I agree, I bought his package by going to the website and it's the best stuff I have ever used. Rich is available for phone calls pretty much all the time, even on saturday. This system should be a requirement of any vehicle sold period. As for the stripes, I did test sections on the front valance and rear area. The product that worked best is mothers "back to black" on the stockers. Not sure on the SS stripes. Takes a little elbow grease to remove the residue.

KK

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, I bought his package by going to the website and it's the best stuff I have ever used. Rich is available for phone calls pretty much all the time, even on saturday. This system should be a requirement of any vehicle sold period. As for the stripes, I did test sections on the front valance and rear area. The product that worked best is mothers "back to black" on the stockers. Not sure on the SS stripes. Takes a little elbow grease to remove the residue.

KK

I have a couple questions on the cleaning the stock stripes I have some scratches in a couple places do you get any fill in from using Back to black I've used it alot on plastic and trim but never on anything vinyl. I suppose you let it haze alittle before wiping it back down or do you remove it right after you finish the area? Also have you ever had it streak when you have water hit it ?

Thanks for any help

KB67

Hi

I had the same with mine little oil spots on the stripes I used meguiars tech wax, It took the oil spots out and left no shine

Also when you wash your car if you dry off the strips right away it does not leave any water marks

Just try taking vinegar soak a rag try laying on the scrath till it soaks the stripe then let it dry it will probably make the scrath go away.

Then use maguir's nex generation tech II when you put the wax on do the whole stripe at one time . Don't let wax dry completely use

a soft cotton rag dry it off. Then use another soft cotton rag and buff out (old tee shirt works good). The vinger work great to clean

anything off the stripes even after there waxed .And they'll keep there flat black appearance. this work great on my Alloy to keep them flat

I keep a gallon jug vinger with my cleaning stuff. It even works on the black plastic trim. Hope this helps.

JERRY :lurk:

• 11 months later...
Just try taking vinegar soak a rag try laying on the scrath till it soaks the stripe then let it dry it will probably make the scrath go away.

Then use maguir's nex generation tech II when you put the wax on do the whole stripe at one time . Don't let wax dry completely use

a soft cotton rag dry it off. Then use another soft cotton rag and buff out (old tee shirt works good). The vinger work great to clean

anything off the stripes even after there waxed .And they'll keep there flat black appearance. this work great on my Alloy to keep them flat

I keep a gallon jug vinger with my cleaning stuff. It even works on the black plastic trim. Hope this helps.

JERRY :lurk:

Here's the info on black stripe care

Archived