TEAM SHELBY FORUM

PAINT & OIL

ACCLERCR

Hello all!

Just have a couple of questions for a 2008 GT 500...

I just noticed 2 paint "pimples"...one is on the hood all the way to the front; the other is one the driver side fender...I know that things are not perfectin manufacturing (probably a dust particle), but what should I do? Just leave it alone? Monitor it? Claim it under warranty?

2nd question...I took delivery of my 2008 GT 500 in March..I have about 800 miles on it...when should I do its 1st oil change? The dealership is telling me around 3,000 miles or so. Also, just go with the factory-recommended oil? Lastly, if anyone knows the cleanest way (not to drip oil anywhere on any of the linkages), please let me know...I heard that just wrapping aluminum foil around one of the links (steering, I believe) is all that's needed - as that's in the direct path of the "drippage"...

...just scraped my front split a little bit...pissed off...damn high parking curb!

IMO synthetic oil will provide lasting lubrication beyond 3000 miles, however it acuumulates dirt, combustion byproducts, moisture, and on a new engine - metal debris from break-in. For these reasons, I chose to change my oil just shy of 1000 miles. After my 1st oil change, I change my oil every 6 months or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.

I am not aware that oil gets on any of the linkages when you remove the filter - but it can get all over a cross-member. On my previous 2 oil changes, I made a mess and just wiped it off really good. I tried the foil trick and made a smaller mess. I may try the cardboard trick or use a thin tray to route the runoff next time.

As for the splitter, I think everyone will scrape it at some point. Just be aware it's out there and be cautious. They are pretty inexpensive to replace if they get damaged.

Good luck with the paint as a friend had a year long struggle with the Dealer and Ford

but finally got the entire car repainted.

Oil change is a preferance for the first I changed at 1200 miles and drained the oil through

paper towels to se any contaminants from break in. It was clean.

Used the foil but also cover the frame with cloth towels .

I have a couple of small paint pimples as well down near the front of the driver's running board. By all means, leave them be. Just keep an eye out as a possible seed spot for any future rust, which is doubtful anyway. My fear is having the body shop try to match and blend. IMO, it isn't worth the risk.

I took delivery of my coupe in Feb 2008.

Sorry about the paint but i think i would leave it. See a professional for advice on that one.

As for the oil change, do it now. I did my 1st oil change at 800 miles. Then you can go on the 3000 mile interval mark.

Also remember that time is as important as mileage, as moisture can accumulate in the oil (dyno or synthetic) over time - at least that's what I've read.

Thanks for your replies...at least I have peace of mind about the slight splitter damage and the paint imperfection.

...will probably crank out the 1st oil change in the fall where I should be approaching the 1,000 mile mark.

Again...thanks for your help!

Archived