TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford is Refusing To Help Regional Reps Track Overdue Shelby's

Jolly Roger

As you guys know, my Shelby is overdue. It was built on 8/4 and Ralph Arning told me it was released to the shipping yard 3 weeks ago - or more. Not only have the Ford Customer Service (FCS) reps been completely useless over the past several weeks, but the two FCS supervisors I spoke with who were supposed to find my car and call me back haven't called me once over the past 4 weeks as promised.

My dealer has also been unable to learn more. I called him this week to tell him I was concerned the car hadn't arrived - it doesn't take 3 weeks for ANY car to travel from the shipping yard to my dealer, who is in Michigan only 3 hours from Detroit. My dealer readily agreed and admitted that he is genuinely "worried" about where the car is.

So my dealer called his regional rep (again) for me. Today, he told me that the regional reps are being rebuffed by Ford. Apparently so many people are wondering where their Shelby's are that "Ford is just telling the reps to tell the dealers that the cars will get there when they get there." They are refusing to track overdue cars or provide a mechanism whereby the reps, dealers, or customers can determine where their cars are and when they will arrive. Nice.

Ford: This isn't a Taurus, and the people who are buying Shelby's are a different breed than Ford's typical car customer. :doh:

Ford's Halo cars are delayed - sometimes VERY delayed (that was for YOU KingCobra) - and even though most people who are buying the early Shelby's are paying ADM's and even though all eyes are on Ford at this time, they can't even bother to provide a modicum of professionalism or customer service. I honestly can't recall the last time I had such a terrible customer service experience. I mean, even if you can't find the car, call me back and TELL me you can't find it and why. Let me know you are doing SOMETHING!

Way Forward? Give me a frickin' break.

Ford, if you are listening, please take note: You are in Failure Mode. :rant:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey JR... real sorry to hear of the trouble you are having!! I was in the same situation and called Ralph... He told me it had the second inspection Sept 8th and was released to ship and should see in 10 - 14 days. I recv'd at dealer Sept 18th.... 7 days! I hate to say it but I think both you and your dealer should be concerned. I only called Ralph because I was told by the dealer they could not find my car.. .it was built Aug 9th (actual date from Ralph, Aug 7th from the dealer info). One thing I tried with my dealer was to voice my concern that the car was somehow damaged and was being repaired... told them if there was ANY EVIDENCE, they were replacing it!!! PDQ as well.... Got a lot of attention and at least some feedback. I am sure I am speaking for all others, sure hope it get here soon... The frustration will be worth it, but will PYO no less...

Bert

Guest evilchris

How exactly does paying ADM entitle you anything? How exactly does paying an ADM benefit Ford? ADM's are a "stupid tax". You don't get anything for paying it.

How is a "Shelby" customer a different breed? It's a Mustang. It isn't a Ferrari.

People crack me up, thinking buying a $45k car makes them some type royalty that is a "cut above" the rest and deserves some kind of special treatment.

:hysterical:

I feel the frustration. I am #2 with a dealer who has four GT500's coming in. My order was submitted in April and I was told I would have my car by August, then September, now November. Car #1 came the end of August. I'm thinking maybe January now. At this rate I don't see them producing 9,000 before the 2008's are scheduled to arrive.

Our Vista Blue with White Stripes is scheduled to be built in 4th quarter. I am so excited that we are getting one that I don't mind the anticipation. I am enjoying the reads and hype. It is only getting better.

It will be sweet!

How exactly does paying ADM entitle you anything? How exactly does paying an ADM benefit Ford? ADM's are a "stupid tax". You don't get anything for paying it.

How is a "Shelby" customer a different breed? It's a Mustang. It isn't a Ferrari.

People crack me up, thinking buying a $45k car makes them some type royalty that is a "cut above" the rest and deserves some kind of special treatment.

:hysterical:

By a different breed, I meant ENTHUSIASTS - not elitists. Give me a break. Ford should recognize that many of the people buying these cars early on are paying a premium for a Ford product and are therefore those likely to have a good impression of Ford and to be good future customers. Further, they should make a special effort to keep the buyers of their Halo car happy. It IS their Halo car, afterall.

It's not a matter of entitlement, it's a matter of customer service, good business practice, and building relationships. These principles should apply regardless of the car being purchased, but I am particularly disappointed and surprised that they can't manage to get it right with the Shelby. I guarantee you if they can't tell the Shelby buyers what's going on, they certainly can't tell their other customers. It's an unqualified failure, IMHO.

You don't know much about building relationships yourself, do you Chris? Why don't you take another break from the forum for a while again? I was just thinking a couple of days ago how nice it has been not having to put up with your attitude and your rude comments for the last few days.

I ordered my coupe on June 24th, received my vin # 2nd week of August, week later was told by dealer it was scheduled to be built Aug 28th. Estimated delivery Sep 6th. On Sep 8th dealership informed by rep it rolled off assembly line Aug 30th and it would be on a train either Sep 11th or 12th. Dealership hoped to see by Sep 15th. Called dealership today, they placed a call to rep, no reply. :banghead:

I ordered my coupe on June 24th, received my vin # 2nd week of August, week later was told by dealer it was scheduled to be built Aug 28th. Estimated delivery Sep 6th. On Sep 8th dealership informed by rep it rolled off assembly line Aug 30th and it would be on a train either Sep 11th or 12th. Dealership hoped to see by Sep 15th. Called dealership today, they placed a call to rep, no reply. :banghead:

Update as of this morning 9-23-06 @ 10:30am. My Shelby is still sitting in Flat Rock with a stop shipment hold by Ford for clutch inspections and replacements. Rep has no idea when mine will be inspected and released for shipping. This word is directly from dealership I am not making it up. Ford claims there's no hold, there is. Shame on Ford for not telling us up front. So I sit waiting and wondering when will it be my turn. :shrug:

Update as of this morning 9-23-06 @ 10:30am. My Shelby is still sitting in Flat Rock with a stop shipment hold by Ford for clutch inspections and replacements. Rep has no idea when mine will be inspected and released for shipping. This word is directly from dealership I am not making it up. Ford claims there's no hold, there is. Shame on Ford for not telling us up front. So I sit waiting and wondering when will it be my turn. :shrug:

Silly Question, what the heck could be different with your clutch compared to the Shelbys that already shipped? Has anyone said exactly what the clutch problem is?

Silly Question, what the heck could be different with your clutch compared to the Shelbys that already shipped? Has anyone said exactly what the clutch problem is?

The thing that really pisses me off is that I ordered 4/1 and still no end in sight MATERIAL HOLD and people ordered in july are getting their cars before me. WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT!! :shrug:

The thing that really pisses me off is that I ordered 4/1 and still no end in sight MATERIAL HOLD and people ordered in july are getting their cars before me. WHATS THE DEAL WITH THAT!! :shrug:

I believe your last name would have to be Ford or Shelby to order one at the end of July and receive it a month later. As for the clutch issue I'm not sure what the problem is. I intend on doing some more reading on earlier complaints. I'm no mechanic, but to replace a clutch doesn't the engine have to be pulled?

Ralph Arning at the plant told me that there was a clutch plate slip problem. He told me they pulled 900 Shelby's for this inspection in August, and of the 900 pulled I believe he said there were only 6 (might have been 4 - not sure) that had the problem. More than that I don't know. :shrug:

Update: My dealer called me this morning to tell me that his regional rep is still getting the party lie ("It will get there when it gets there.") from Ford, so he's started calling a few people he knows who are "higher up" at Ford. I guess he knows one of the Vice Presidents. Hopefully they will be able to learn something, but this process will certainly take time. He said that if his contacts can't locate my car, then he will officially report my car as "LOST" to Ford. He said Ford hates it when they do that, but it apparently gets some other people involved and starts a process Ford has in place to track vehicles. :sos:

Question for Ford: Why does a car have to be reported as lost in order for your dealers and customers to get the help they need? You need a better everyday system. :rant:

I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks to all (well, almost all :baby: ) for your posts. Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh! :wacko:

My name is not Shelby, and those are the facts. I own a shop called tag motorsports in Escondido. I do a lot of aftermarket work for the local dealers. I asked to order a car. I have the confirmation from Ford on the 28th, the car was completed and ready to ship on the 30th I was told. It sat in the yard at Ford for about 10 days before it was shipped. They sent me the rail car info on about the 9th. The car arrived in Mira Loma rail yard on Sept 15th. I picked it up from the rail yard on the 18th. And am happy to say I am driving it today.

I believe your last name would have to be Ford or Shelby to order one at the end of July and receive it a month later. As for the clutch issue I'm not sure what the problem is. I intend on doing some more reading on earlier complaints. I'm no mechanic, but to replace a clutch doesn't the engine have to be pulled?

No.

To replace the clutch you pull whatever is in way of tranny and pop the tranny down.

If you have a lift or pit it's a fairly easy/straight forward ordeal.

Trick is always re-aligning everything on install. There's usually a tool that acts like a "dummy" input shaft to get the plate and discs lined up, then the tranny slides right back in.

Unless mechanical design has changed a lot in last 10 years, it's a simple task compared to others of this magnitude.

Mike.

My name is not Shelby, and those are the facts. I own a shop called tag motorsports in Escondido. I do a lot of aftermarket work for the local dealers. I asked to order a car. I have the confirmation from Ford on the 28th, the car was completed and ready to ship on the 30th I was told. It sat in the yard at Ford for about 10 days before it was shipped. They sent me the rail car info on about the 9th. The car arrived in Mira Loma rail yard on Sept 15th. I picked it up from the rail yard on the 18th. And am happy to say I am driving it today.

You are very fortunate and extremely lucky. There are customers that have ordered theirs 6 months ago and are still waiting. Knowing my luck I was one of the 4 they pulled in August that had the problem. Have you thought of playing a lottery? Do you have any lucky numbers you care to share with us? :happy feet:

I've changed many clutches, and never had to pull an engine. All you have to do is get the car up high, remove the shifter, remove the driveshaft, remove the trans, remove any bellhousing that houses the clutch, and then remove the pressure plate to get to the clutch. In the shop it should be no big deal, but doing this at home is likely no easy task on this car given the size and weight of the 6-speed...you probably need a good trans jack or some patience with a regular jack to get that big thing out of there.

Dave

Ralph Arning at the plant told me that there was a clutch plate slip problem. He told me they pulled 900 Shelby's for this inspection in August, and of the 900 pulled I believe he said there were only 6 (might have been 4 - not sure) that had the problem. More than that I don't know. :shrug:

Update: My dealer called me this morning to tell me that his regional rep is still getting the party lie ("It will get there when it gets there.") from Ford, so he's started calling a few people he knows who are "higher up" at Ford. I guess he knows one of the Vice Presidents. Hopefully they will be able to learn something, but this process will certainly take time. He said that if his contacts can't locate my car, then he will officially report my car as "LOST" to Ford. He said Ford hates it when they do that, but it apparently gets some other people involved and starts a process Ford has in place to track vehicles. :sos:

Question for Ford: Why does a car have to be reported as lost in order for your dealers and customers to get the help they need? You need a better everyday system. :rant:

I'll keep you guys posted, and thanks to all (well, almost all :baby: ) for your posts. Aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh! :wacko:

Jolly Roger,

Just a note to say I agree with your point of view on this and I hope they find your Shelby SOON!

CC

Thanks, CobraCrazy. :shift:

JR, I might have missed it, but what kind of dealer is yours: PA, SVT-full, SVT-focus, other-cert? Just curious.

Hope yout get her soon -- you're absolutely right, in my opinion, that you should be told whatever the status is. Hang in threre, bro

(I mean Aaarrgghhh!)

-Dan

JR, I might have missed it, but what kind of dealer is yours: PA, SVT-full, SVT-focus, other-cert? Just curious.

Hope yout get her soon -- you're absolutely right, in my opinion, that you should be told whatever the status is. Hang in threre, bro

(I mean Aaarrgghhh!)

-Dan

SVT-not sure what kind, PA dealer. I was supposed to be their first car too, but their second car arrived two weeks ago this coming Monday.

Thanks for your support 68fastback! I feel like this is a meeting of Shelby's Anonymous: "My name is Jolly, and I have a delivery problem." :hysterical:

Paul

SVT-not sure what kind, PA dealer. I was supposed to be their first car too, but their second car arrived two weeks ago this coming Monday.

Thanks for your support 68fastback! I feel like this is a meeting of Shelby's Anonymous: "My name is Jolly, and I have a delivery problem." :hysterical:

Paul

No one feels worse than I do, Pirate. You deserve better.

Rick

No one feels worse than I do, Pirate. You deserve better.

Rick

There is NO need to feel bad, Rick! This isn't your fault. I really am glad you got your ride, and I'm happy for everyone who has gotten his or her Shelby already.

I'm glad you saw this thread - I was going to email you to tell you to check it out, but it looks like you saw it anyway.

All I ask is that those who have their cars burn a little rubber for me this weekend. :shift:

There is NO need to feel bad, Rick! This isn't your fault. I really am glad you got your ride, and I'm happy for everyone who has gotten his or her Shelby already.

I'm glad you saw this thread - I was going to email you to tell you to check it out, but it looks like you saw it anyway.

All I ask is that those who have their cars burn a little rubber for me this weekend. :shift:

be glad to! keep me posted on your develpments

Archived