TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Amy we want a Berg style steering wheel cover

....to match the gas cap...come on guys chime in:)

I'd buy one in a heartbeat!!! Steeda makes a cap that covers the stock Pony emblem...maybe Amy could call them and work something out with whoever it is that makes theirs for them...their kit also has adhesion promoter and a round piece of tape that has the pony cutout to level the mounting surface out enough to put the new cap on there...

Amy, here is the link to their kit: http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services/SC101...10-9100-B15616*

IT CAN BE DONE!!!

That link does not show the kit, but it does show the price of it....go here http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30959 to see pictures of the kit that I took...post #9

I kindof like the tri-bar emblem too, but would buy one if it were made. I would like matching center caps for the shelby wheels too!!!

Center caps are already available from SPP...they just dont have SHELBY GT written on them, and the reason is that they are made for each side of the car, left and right and the SHELBY GT doesn't look right when you reverse the snake head...it has to be re-positioned, so they left that off...

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a PM to Amy last week asking about this, and/or the possibility of getting SAi's blessing for someone to come up with one on our own...she replied that SAI had considered it but since it goes on the airbag, they would have to do extensive crash testing since they are a Manufacturer...I really don't see the problem with a simple overlay like the Saleen kit that I've found, but who knows...I guess I'll just see about having someone make me a decal to go over the Saleen cap like what I want for my own personal vehicle and see how it looks...

Don't hold your breath for SAI to make one, if you want one, you're going to have to make it yourself...

Carl,

In addition to what was Amy's reply, the cap has 6 metal prongs that enter the airbag cover. The ends of those prongs are bent over the airbag cover from the underside of the airbag. To duplicate an entire cap would mean that the airbag would need to be taken fully apart for the part to be inserted and attached correctly. That is something I would personally not want to or be qualified to do. And I really do not know if it could be done. There would be a real liability issue there I would think.

Roger

Carl,

In addition to what was Amy's reply, the cap has 6 metal prongs that enter the airbag cover. The ends of those prongs are bent over the airbag cover from the underside of the airbag. To duplicate an entire cap would mean that the airbag would need to be taken fully apart for the part to be inserted and attached correctly. That is something I would personally not want to or be qualified to do. And I really do not know if it could be done. There would be a real liability issue there I would think.

Roger

True, but Saleen has the overlay that is about 1/16 of an inch thick and has a lip just like the rear cap did, and it covers the original cap. That type of overlay is very feasable, and I wouldn't think that it would require the extensive crash testing as it remains attached to the original cap that flips over to the right when the airbag deploys...

Is Saleen not considered a manufacturer? I believe they would be...

Motorjock said that we may have to make our own cap, which got me to thinking. I have an extra CS wheel center cap, which I noticed is almost exactly the same diameter as the steering wheel emblem. I am sure that someone more creative (and daring) than me could manage to shave the back side and fit it to the steering wheel. You'd have to destroy the center cap, and maybe the original pony as well, but it could potentially work. Would it be safe? No, but what about a head-on collision is safe, anyway? As stated above, if the cap was secured well, it would tend to blow to the side, not directly into your face. The chrome ring around it probably isn't what I had in mind, but if we can't get a smaller version of what SAI makes for the rear badge, what are we to do? Are you listening Amy? We're getting desperate here! Incidentally, there are many wheel center caps to pick from. Someone please develop this idea better than I have, ok?

post-12805-1220396516_thumb.jpg

post-12805-1220396516_thumb.jpg

Motorjock said that we may have to make our own cap, which got me to thinking. I have an extra CS wheel center cap, which I noticed is almost exactly the same diameter as the steering wheel emblem. I am sure that someone more creative (and daring) than me could manage to shave the back side and fit it to the steering wheel. You'd have to destroy the center cap, and maybe the original pony as well, but it could potentially work. Would it be safe? No, but what about a head-on collision is safe, anyway? As stated above, if the cap was secured well, it would tend to blow to the side, not directly into your face. The chrome ring around it probably isn't what I had in mind, but if we can't get a smaller version of what SAI makes for the rear badge, what are we to do? Are you listening Amy? We're getting desperate here! Incidentally, there are many wheel center caps to pick from. Someone please develop this idea better than I have, ok?

"Desperate"?

IMHO, the best approach here is a vinyl decal overlay. Any obstruction to the air bag may cost you your life.

That would look nice....I have just ordered the CS logo emblem for the trunk gas cap , I'm trying to only stick with that, no snakes for me and so a CS steering wheel cap would be a great finishing piece....

Archived