TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Perf. White owners: need your help

BanditSRT8

Was detailing my baby today and saw something I'm not too happy about, and need to know if this is common or not.

If you look at my rear lower panels on the sides, behind the wheels (which is same piece as bumper cover), it is an off white, nearly yellow.

It was not like that before. Now it is a drastically different color from the rest of the car.

Anyone else see these parts change color?

Was detailing my baby today and saw something I'm not too happy about, and need to know if this is common or not.

If you look at my rear lower panels on the sides, behind the wheels (which is same piece as bumper cover), it is an off white, nearly yellow.

It was not like that before. Now it is a drastically different color from the rest of the car.

would you please post a pic

Mine though is good since DEC, driving twice in the snow, and 2500 miles on her.

No problem on my. I have this car since 8/06

My rear bumper cover yellowed after about 6 months. Took it to the loacl Ford Dealer (They have there own body shop) and they took Pics. and I never heard back from them. Took it to the Dealer I bought it from (55 miles) and they told me they would have one of the local body shops paint it. I asked If I could have my local body shop paint it and the said sure as long as they price is right. Well my shops quote was about twice what Fords Shop manual said it should be. My dealer sent the claim in anyway and Ford Paid the bill!! I'm Happy!!

Yeah, in certain light if you look closely, my car also has some slight degradation in the white hue. Nothing dramatic mind you, but there is some slight yellowing going on.

Some of you may need to get your eyes checked for color blindness, one of the test look like this, others use a booth & (100) colored caps. In my line of work I'm appoved to be a quality inspector for colored parts if needed

post-768-1218588616.jpg

This test can determine the following color vision problems:

Protanopia (difficulty distinguishing between blue/green and red/green)

Deuteranopia (difficulty distinguishing between red/purple and green/purple)

Tritanopia (difficulty distinguishing between yellow/green and blue/green)

Achromatopsia (complete color blindness, seeing only shades of gray)

post-768-1218588616.jpg

From what I've read over the last year or so, this appears to be a common issue...but, it also appears that some are worse than others. I've noticed a very slight variation on mine, but not enough to worry about, and like someone said above, when you stand back you can't see it. It only seems to be visible under certain light / conditions. I can see a variation of some sort on all metal vs. plastic if I look for it.

Some of you may need to get your eyes checked for color blindness, one of the test look like this, others use a booth & (100) colored caps. In my line of work I'm appoved to be a quality inspector for colored parts if needed

post-768-1218588616.jpg

This test can determine the following color vision problems:

Protanopia (difficulty distinguishing between blue/green and red/green)

Deuteranopia (difficulty distinguishing between red/purple and green/purple)

Tritanopia (difficulty distinguishing between yellow/green and blue/green)

Achromatopsia (complete color blindness, seeing only shades of gray)

Forget color blindness, what does it test for if you can't even read the screen? :hysterical:

And what's it called if you can only see things in Black and white? Mcainopia? :hysterical:

No changes to any part of my car at all.

But I would assume you need to ask how everyone garages - stores - drives - and exposes their cars also.

That's the other side of the equation.

My car rarely stays out long when I do drive it and is stored so maybe it would discolor if it was exposed to the same conditions as yours (maybe).

Had it since 08-06 - drive it weekly but only for a few hours a week.

Maybe that doesn't help explain your condition. Sorry.

This is a very common problem with all new cars, some just are more apparent than others. The color variation is because the paint is going on plastic. I asked a local body shop about it since I have it on my 07 GT500 also and he showed me other makes of cars in his shop and they had it also.

BanditSRT8,

My white 03 Terminator did the same thing. Ford repainted the rear valance under warranty and I didn't have any more yellowing. Now my 07 GT500 built 06/15/2007, is doing the same thing. You can definetely tell that the rear valance is yellowing and no longer matches the body color. Am now trying to decide whether its worth it to have it repainted by Ford. They will do it w/o complaint, just not sure its worth the effort, because otherwise, the paint is flawless.

Archived