TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front end noise while turning

Afterburner

I started noticing a slight whirring noise while turning. It's more noticable when making a slow turn like in a parking lot when there's less road noise. It's hard to describe but it seems like somethings not lubricated maybe. The steering wheel is not pegged when the noise occurs. It's just maybe turned halfway. Anyone else experience this?

I started noticing a slight whirring noise while turning. It's more noticable when making a slow turn like in a parking lot when there's less road noise. It's hard to describe but it seems like somethings not lubricated maybe. The steering wheel is not pegged when the noise occurs. It's just maybe turned halfway. Anyone else experience this?

I just started hearing this noise on my 08 GT500. I spoke to some other members and mentioned it to the service manager at my local dealer he said it could be the clutch pack....Not sure what the heck that is, but I'm taking it in on Wednesday. It was the same thing with me, I would hear it when making a sharp slow turn.

I just started hearing this noise on my 08 GT500. I spoke to some other members and mentioned it to the service manager at my local dealer he said it could be the clutch pack....Not sure what the heck that is, but I'm taking it in on Wednesday. It was the same thing with me, I would hear it when making a sharp slow turn.

The clutch pack is part of the Traction-Loc limited-slip differential in the axle housing. There is a TSB for this problem - TSB 07-22-8; adding the friction modifier did not get rid of the noise for me.

Here's a recent thread on this topic:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29710

This may not be the issue with your car as it appears new with minimal mods. Regardless I hope this helps!

If you have headers on your car or if your car is lowered check your steering column shaft where it passes your exhaust. The cross section of the steering column shaft is shaped like an X so the clearance between the shaft and the headers changes when the steering wheel is turned. You will hear a slight noise as well as feel it in the steering wheel. It will also be more pronounced at times when the car is accelerating harder due to the engine movement from torque. I also notice mine more when turning to the right due to body flex.

It's most likely the clutch pack as stated. My car is 100% stock and has done it from day one. I thought it went away but I drove to Dallas and heard it real bad in parking lot. We see this alot on mustangs at the dealership I work at.

So is this coming from the front or rear end? In my case it sounds like it's coming from the front. Of course being in the car it's sometimes hard to tell where a noise is coming from. Most of the times I have noticed it, I had the clutch pedal depressed while slowly rolling through a turn and getting ready to shift into 1st or 2nd. Is there a link to the TSB? ? My dealer has been very accomodating but the two items I've had replaced since getting the car in March 08 have been a pain since they ordered the wrong ones( water pump and power steering pump)and I had to make numerous trips to get them replaced. As most on these forums know, the more info you give to the dealer before they start digging into the problem, the less headaches there are all around :finger:

It's most likely the clutch pack as stated. My car is 100% stock and has done it from day one. I thought it went away but I drove to Dallas and heard it real bad in parking lot. We see this alot on mustangs at the dealership I work at.

From your observations, does the friction modifier typically work or do you end up having to replace the clutch packs? The friction modifier did not work on my car.

Also, from what I understand the GT500 uses carbon clutch packs but I believe the clutch pack called out in all the related TSBs are the standard non-carbon ones they use in the GT.

Figures, I took the car to the dealership so they could hear this noise, but, you guess it, NO NOISE. Does anyone know if the cars need to run a while before they start making this noise?

Happens more consistently when hot - so yes. I think I am going to put up with it.

Happens more consistently when hot - so yes. I think I am going to put up with it.

+1

Drive it at speed for a while before bringing it to the dealer. Also, you can put the rear seats down - if it gets louder, its from the rear.

If it is the rear end, I also recommend you put up with it. It seems like a lot (if not most) of people who worry about it spend an enormous amount of time and effort not getting it fixed. I think it's just one of the noises this car makes. You've got a few years of warranty to see if it get worse.

Of course, if it's really loud, or it happens when the car is not in a tight turn (like pulling into a parking space), it may be an out-of-alignment axle and need service.

Ok, I drove for about 10 miles and checked to see if it made the noise...It did! I took it to the dealership and the service manager heard it as well. He said he would be replacing the clutch pack and I should get it back tomorrow depending on the arrival of parts. I love this forum!

Ok, I drove for about 10 miles and checked to see if it made the noise...It did! I took it to the dealership and the service manager heard it as well. He said he would be replacing the clutch pack and I should get it back tomorrow depending on the arrival of parts. I love this forum!

New Update: Service Mgr called me back this morning and said Ford said the noise the car made when turning was "normal", but they agreed to replace the whole rear assembly if I wanted. I thought about it and agreed to do that, so now I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive for installation.

Archived