TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fire extinguisher mounts

oilbleak

I may just be paranoid, but I'd like to mount a fire extinguisher within easy reach of the driver just in case anything should ever happen while I'm on the track. I'm thinking that the passenger side of the center console would be the best place for it, but that I don't know how much it would interfer with an actual passenger (I'm still at the learning phase where it's best if an instructor rides along). Plus, I don't just use my SGT for the track and I'm sure that my girlfriend would not relish the idea of constantly banging her knee on a fire extinguisher. Without removing the rear seat and/or getting a roll cage installed, the trunk is really the only place I could mount an extinguisher without it getting in the way of any passengers.

Has anyone mounted a fire extinguisher anywhere in their car? Who did you buy it from and where did you mount it?

Matt

I may just be paranoid, but I'd like to mount a fire extinguisher within easy reach of the driver just in case anything should ever happen while I'm on the track. I'm thinking that the passenger side of the center console would be the best place for it, but that I don't know how much it would interfer with an actual passenger (I'm still at the learning phase where it's best if an instructor rides along). Plus, I don't just use my SGT for the track and I'm sure that my girlfriend would not relish the idea of constantly banging her knee on a fire extinguisher. Without removing the rear seat and/or getting a roll cage installed, the trunk is really the only place I could mount an extinguisher without it getting in the way of any passengers.

Has anyone mounted a fire extinguisher anywhere in their car? Who did you buy it from and where did you mount it?

Matt

I haven't mounted one in an S197 yet but on Fox and SN95 cars you can make an aluminum plate that mounts in front of the passenger seat using the front mount bolts for the seat. It will sit low and does not interfere with using the seat and is within reach. Usually a reasonably thick piece of aluminum ~1" to 2" wide by 12" to 15" long will work.

Here are a couple of photos of the mount in my SVT Focus as an example.

I use a Safecraft halon model that I purchased in a local Shelby club groip buy. They currently run about $105 last time I checked.

I recently saw a Halguard on display ( http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm ) in a shop and found that they can be purchased through Jegs.

P8110584.jpg

P8110583.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of mounting it vertically on the passenger side of the center console itself so it'd be within easy reach without worrying about the seat belt keeping me from reaching it (which I'd be worried about if I mounted it on the floor like your picture). The problem is that I'm not sure if drilling holes in that console is even an option and I don't know if doublesided 3M would be strong enough to support a light weight bracket and extinguisher (especially with the G-forces seen on a road course)? I'd really like to avoid having my safety equipment becoming a flying cylinder of death and destruction as I whip through turn 6 at TWS. I've also heard the suggestion to mount it in my trunk, but the only place to really mount a bracket is the lid and I'd really rather not have to drill anything into that (I'd probably sneeze and put the bit straight through the lid and stripe). Besides, if I need the extinguisher in a hurry I'd rather not have to run around to the back of the car and pop the trunk with my keys [Thank you Ford designers for not putting a trunk release in the car] just to get my fire extinguisher.

Mounting the bracket in front of the passenger seat might be an option that I'll look into. The only potential problem I see is that the S197 passenger seats (and non-powered drivers' seats) have the bar the runs across the front that you left up to move the seat forward or back (I'm guessing that's what the lever off to the side of seat in the SVT Focus picture is). Without actually putting all the pieces together to see how they'd fit, I'm worried that the handle of the extinguisher might get caught under that bar if I'm in an emergency and in a hurry.

Still, these are great ideas that have at least started me thinking. Thanks for the suggestions and pictures so far.

Matt

That bracket may not hold up to a hard impact. You should use brackets that are approved for racing, if you are going to be doing that. Summitt racing has brackets that are approved by NHRA and other organizations. Here is a link http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...amp;D=%2D199061

I have a Brey Krause front seat universal bracket I will be installing tomorrow. It mounts to the 2 bolts that hold the front passenger seat to the frame. This gives it the ability to slide with the seat without intruding on the passenger. It also meets all sanctioning bodies requirements. I will post tomorrow after the install.

Here is their site

http://www.bkauto.com/

This is the bracket.

R_9540.jpg

R_9540a.jpg

R_9540b.jpg

R_9540.jpg

R_9540a.jpg

R_9540b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Brey Krause front seat universal bracket I will be installing tomorrow. It mounts to the 2 bolts that hold the front passenger seat to the frame. This gives it the ability to slide with the seat without intruding on the passenger. It also meets all sanctioning bodies requirements. I will post tomorrow after the install.

Here is their site

http://www.bkauto.com/

This is the bracket.

Roger,

How did the install go?

I mounted mine to the passenger seat adjustment arm. Used hose clamps and taped the arm to keep it from digging in.

John

Archived