TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 ebay prices starting to drop

1970boss302

I noticed that the ebay bid prices are starting to drop with Ford cominf out with more

model of the mustang. Boss, Bullitt etc.

I would think twice before paying $10 to $20 thousand over for a Shelby GT500

because you may not get that money back if you sell it.

I noticed that the ebay bid prices are starting to drop with Ford cominf out with more

That's not what I've noticed. Check out this thread: http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=3189

That's not what I've noticed. Check out this thread: http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=3189

Jolly Roger,

I disagree.

Pricing is fluid, and seems to move in ebbs and tides these days, but the trend is downward in general.

I, too, looked at E-bay pricing late last night, and not one car was bid into the 60's, and the typical seemed to be low 50's. That was for both coupes and 'verts, so were talking 8-12k over on coupes, and 4-8k over on 'verts.

There's also a "Buy it now" on a Coupe in Houston at $60-K, and no takers yet, highest bid was $57-k. I think if the bidders were really "afraid" they were going to lose a "deal" on one at 60k, one of the bidders would have ponied up the extra couple grand and bought it by now. So, on that one, the bidding is sitting at 12 over, with nobody willing to go 15 over. The days of 15-20 over appear to be gone.

Plus, I noticed MOGFIS seems to have backed off their price offers as well, they capped at $52-k on a car that kept bidding up to about 54-k, so I think they're starting to realize they better pay less as the market is dropping.

A lot of "Buy it now" and "reserves" had notes that the seller had recently lowered as well.

Now, mind you, any of these cars could go higher today, but I think in general there is a lot less "panic bidding" and "Buy it now" going on, which is a good thing.

The really interesting thing is that the 'verts seem to be going for the approximately the same net price as the coupes, or even a little less, even though they have an MSRP of about 5-k more. That bodes well for me, as I'm about to battle my dealer when my ordered 'vert arrives next week.

I think maybe the 'verts aren't as popular, so there is less pricing pressure, which I don't mind a bit.

I think we're looking at MSRP to 6-k ADM range being the norm within the next 30 days.

Just my opinion.

Mike.

Jolly Roger,

I disagree.

Pricing is fluid, and seems to move in ebbs and tides these days, but the trend is downward in general.

I, too, looked at E-bay pricing late last night, and not one car was bid into the 60's, and the typical seemed to be low 50's. That was for both coupes and 'verts, so were talking 8-12k over on coupes, and 4-8k over on 'verts.

There's also a "Buy it now" on a Coupe in Houston at $60-K, and no takers yet, highest bid was $57-k. I think if the bidders were really "afraid" they were going to lose a "deal" on one at 60k, one of the bidders would have ponied up the extra couple grand and bought it by now. So, on that one, the bidding is sitting at 12 over, with nobody willing to go 15 over. The days of 15-20 over appear to be gone.

Plus, I noticed MOGFIS seems to have backed off their price offers as well, they capped at $52-k on a car that kept bidding up to about 54-k, so I think they're starting to realize they better pay less as the market is dropping.

A lot of "Buy it now" and "reserves" had notes that the seller had recently lowered as well.

Now, mind you, any of these cars could go higher today, but I think in general there is a lot less "panic bidding" and "Buy it now" going on, which is a good thing.

The really interesting thing is that the 'verts seem to be going for the approximately the same net price as the coupes, or even a little less, even though they have an MSRP of about 5-k more. That bodes well for me, as I'm about to battle my dealer when my ordered 'vert arrives next week.

I think maybe the 'verts aren't as popular, so there is less pricing pressure, which I don't mind a bit.

I think we're looking at MSRP to 6-k ADM range being the norm within the next 30 days.

Just my opinion.

Mike.

Hey, Mike. I agree that the pricing is fluid and that the market is likely softening a bit. I too saw that people's bids are often lower than the reserve price, and the auctions often end without a sale. This likely represents a change over 2 months ago.

That said, there are certainly still people paying $15K to $20K over for this car on ebay - even in the last week. Check out the link in my post. The ebay sale prices I put in that thread also suggest to me that people ARE still paying more for the vert, which isn't surprising since the MSRP is higher for the verts.

The only thing I can say with certainty on this topic is that it will be interesting to see what happens with these prices in the future! There is a great deal of demand for this car. Personally, I doubt we'll see MSRP this model year. We'll see what happens....

Thanks for your post!

When i searched 3 or 4 days ago there were 3 cars that ended their bidding in the single digits (2 at 9k and one at 7k over) without selling. These were not ended early "Because the car is no longer available" either. It is still very early in the production/sales run. We won't likely see significant drops until this winter, then I think we will see the bottom fall out of the market. And I can't wait. I drove my first Shelby yesterday, but, did not get on it as I didn't know the guy very well.

I think we are all seeing different parts of the elephant. People are paying what they are willing to pay. To be first on the block with a Shelby, you had to pay significantly over MSRP. If you don't care if you are the 5th guy with a white/blue stripe coupe at the local car show next spring, then you will likely pay less. However, I agree with the Pirate; I don't think people will be walking out the door with a MSRP Shelby or less in this model year (except the few that negoiated the deals up front for MSRP; these deals=honest dealer and lucky customer)

Completed auctions tell a small part of the story.

Where bidding ends tells a bigger part of the story.

Pricing has come off compared to July/August....it appears to be back to where it was in the spring. Of course, the big difference is that most of the current pricing information is for cars on the ground. A car on the ground is more valuable than the promise of a car...so, I think it's safe to say that pricing is actually lower than it was in the spring (...the dollars might be the same, but what you get is better than it was 6 months ago).

Hopefully pricing will keep coming off. Even at the rate of a couple of thousand dollars a month, it doesn't take long to get to MSRP.

The problem I see developing is this: dealers have bought up more than their allowance on the idea of speculating on them on ebay. There are only 8000 cars for 2007. Those cars ordered/bought by dealers are not going to be sold for less than the dealer paid for it. The only hope to get a MSRP is to buy one from a dealer who bought it as MSRP or at dealer cost. Those (we all know who they are) dealers who are speculating are very unlikely to unload them in the short term for less than they paid.

The problem I see developing is this: dealers have bought up more than their allowance on the idea of speculating on them on ebay. There are only 8000 cars for 2007. Those cars ordered/bought by dealers are not going to be sold for less than the dealer paid for it. The only hope to get a MSRP is to buy one from a dealer who bought it as MSRP or at dealer cost. Those (we all know who they are) dealers who are speculating are very unlikely to unload them in the short term for less than they paid.

I think you are right. A dealer will sit on a car for some time before he agrees to take less than he paid for it - or less than he WANTS for it. There is no shortage of demand for this car, so he knows it WILL sell at some point, and he can always lower the price later in the production run while he waits to see what he can get for it. In addition, having a Shelby or two on the showroom floor brings people into his dealership. He's not going to lose both money and a marketing opportunity just to move the car.

Supply is starting to meet demand. The car has really only been out for two full months, and only 800 units sold in august, probably less in july. At least another 5000-8000 units for the MY.

And personally, I think there are a lot of ghost sales being spread by dealers - I walked into a podunk NJ dealership that has a coupe on sale for $70K - salesman told me they had already sold 5 units at $65K, and they could order one more under their allocation for the MY, i.e. they sold their entire stock for the MY, so I better hurry and buy the one on the lot for 25 over.

B.S.

Supply is starting to meet demand. The car has really only been out for two full months, and only 800 units sold in august, probably less in july. At least another 5000-8000 units for the MY.

And personally, I think there are a lot of ghost sales being spread by dealers - I walked into a podunk NJ dealership that has a coupe on sale for $70K - salesman told me they had already sold 5 units at $65K, and they could order one more under their allocation for the MY, i.e. they sold their entire stock for the MY, so I better hurry and buy the one on the lot for 25 over.

B.S.

"Be careful what you wish for, it might come true"

I've never seen so many people hope that a car's sale price would drop so fast. It seems that everyone is of the impression that the price with drop rapidly and then hold at MSRP.

Stop and think for a second. If the Shelby price drops rapidly to MSRP, then that is a very bad depreciation curve that nobody, not even those who bought at MSRP, will want to have happen. Any car that drops that fast will keep on dropping way below MSRP. So congrats, you just over bought at MSRP.

Plus, that will also put a terrible stigma on this car, by the general public, who will laugh at everyone that ownes a Shelby GT500....I'm talking about all of us.

I realize that there are many hoping to get one at MSRP. But you better be carful about what you wish for if this sucker tanks as fast you want it to. $45,000 is still a big chuck of money for a car.

I don't know about you....but I was looking for a car that had a "special" mystique. Not some rapidly depreciating automobile....like a Cadillac.

I've never seen so many people hope that a car's sale price would drop so fast. It seems that everyone is of the impression that the price with drop rapidly and then hold at MSRP.

Stop and think for a second. If the Shelby price drops rapidly to MSRP, then that is a very bad depreciation curve that nobody, not even those who bought at MSRP, will want to have happen. Any car that drops that fast will keep on dropping way below MSRP. So congrats, you just over bought at MSRP.

Plus, that will also put a terrible stigma on this car, by the general public, who will laugh at everyone that ownes a Shelby GT500....I'm talking about all of us.

I realize that there are many hoping to get one at MSRP. But you better be carful about what you wish for if this sucker tanks as fast you want it to. $45,000 is still a big chuck of money for a car.

I don't know about you....but I was looking for a car that had a "special" mystique. Not some rapidly depreciating automobile....like a Cadillac.

I respectfully disagree.

I think that no matter what, this is still a "used" car as far as future resale value. There was a thread earlier (I forget which one) where a dealer was quoting 60 or 70-k for a new one, but when a board member here said "what will you give me for mine?" they told him $35-k.

Why, because it's a used car, and everydealer on earth is going to base the trade in on a percentage of the MSRP.

That being the case, I'd rather "buy over" at MSRP than "buy over" with an ADM.

They're both still buying over, but one leaves 10-20k still in your pocket.

Mike.

Guest evilchris

B.S.

Don't forget members here saying " 2007 SOLD OUT!!! " :hysterical:

When i searched 3 or 4 days ago there were 3 cars that ended their bidding in the single digits (2 at 9k and one at 7k over) without selling...... And I can't wait. I drove my first Shelby yesterday, but, did not get on it as I didn't know the guy very well.

Umm, Crazyhorse..errr, 5.4, you drove one? At a dealer?? How did you like? I agree with your assessment & observations on ebay. I have been watching, too. I think it's going to be like the Ford GT, but sped up, since production numbers are much higher. And the onset of fall/winter. And the roll out of more Shelby & S.E. product. I think things will be settled down mid-07 at the latest. Just my opinion.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture. I think it is a shame that Ford does not fill a SOLD order before filling an order that is just sitting around waiting on an IDIOT to pay $30,000 over. All these cars sitting around with no buyer while we who ordered 8 months ago don't even have a VIN# assigned yet. Talk about poor service. If I waited around in my business just for someone to pay more for my product I'd be sleeping in the gutter tonight. I guess I see Ford sleeping in the gutter soon!!! :rant:

Yes, it would appear that dealer orders are built before your customer order placed on your behalf via the dealer. I would suspect that dealers placed their orders into the sytem in March (or whenever the earliest date was) and then after their orders where entered into the system, your's was put in next.

I think evidence of this is all over this board, for example: Those told their order was #1, yet the dealer has already received and sold other GT500's.

Shady, YES! Dealers wanting to make a profit on the only Ford car that people seem to want right now, YES!

My Dora is from March 13, the day order banks opened I think. I can't imagine my order probably being in before thousands of others and yet all these unsold cars laying around.

The unsold cars are the one the dealers ordered for themselves, which got filled first.

The unsold cars are the one the dealers ordered for themselves, which got filled first.

Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, they probably did us an inadvertant favor.

If the only cars going to dealers in the beginning were all "pre-sold", they could get away with murder on the ADM's, as there wouldn't be anywhere else to get a car.

You think it's bad now, imagine if there was NO competition because there wasn't a single car in inventory in the country! The dealer could charge you whatever he wanted, because you wouldn't be able to get one anywhere else.

Since there are a few cars out thers for the general public (us) to consider, at least it leaves a little bit of competition, albeit slight.

Mike.

I disagree here. The rapid price drop indicates that the hype is dying out. The buyers that thought these cars were going to be super limited are drying up. The rest of us that are waiting know better. Once they get down to MSRP, there will be enough people buying at that price to maintain.

Umm, Crazyhorse..errr, 5.4, you drove one? At a dealer?? How did you like? I agree with your assessment & observations on ebay. I have been watching, too. I think it's going to be like the Ford GT, but sped up, since production numbers are much higher. And the onset of fall/winter. And the roll out of more Shelby & S.E. product. I think things will be settled down mid-07 at the latest. Just my opinion.

Hey Crispy, how you been?

The one I drove is a local orthodontist's car. He ordered a Black 'vert. While waiting, another dealer called him and told him he had an Alloy 'vert in. He went and looked at it. Bought it. Decided he still wanted the black one. He is now trying to sell the alloy for what he had in it.

I believe that this has already happened. Look at the great lengths that one person in particular on this site goes to to make people feel bad about buying the car. I don't have to mention this persons handle, I'm sure you all know. Im' sure that has a lot to do with "Internet Muscles", but it has an effect when it is constantly brought up that this car might not be worth the $$$$.

I cracks me up people paying over MSRP then wondering why there is ADM's. Simple supply and demand. I will either get one for MSRP or I will not get one. I can live with my 500HP Saleen. :hysterical:

Archived