TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IUP - Gauge Cluster and Trip Computer

OK... so this isn't actually a Shelby-specific modification question, but it's on a Shelby...

The only option I sort of regret not getting on my new Shelby GT convertible is the Interior Upgrade Package. Despite all of my online research prior to purchasing, I didn't really know what it entailed. I mistakenly assumed the Mustang GT premium (base car before Shelby conversion) would have the same trip computer functions as both the GT-H's (coupe and convertible) I had rented in the past.

I don't really care about the aluminum overlay on the dash face. the my-color gauge feature would be a nice-to-have (all I assumed IUP was). However, what would would it take to add the trip computer functionality of the IUP on a car not originally equipped with it? If it's too difficult... or expensive, I'll just track my MPG the old fashioned way.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I am in the same boat as you. I have spent, literally, months trying to track down a dealership that would install the IUP on my car. Those dealers are out there but hard to find. I am having mine installed in a couple of weeks by Galpin Ford in what I will call "just north of LA." I live in San Diego and am not happy that there is no dealer closer who will do it. The Galpin folks have done any number of them and do not consider it a big deal in the least. I will try and remember to post what it cost so you have an idea.

Jim

OK... so this isn't actually a Shelby-specific modification question, but it's on a Shelby...

The only option I sort of regret not getting on my new Shelby GT convertible is the Interior Upgrade Package. Despite all of my online research prior to purchasing, I didn't really know what it entailed. I mistakenly assumed the Mustang GT premium (base car before Shelby conversion) would have the same trip computer functions as both the GT-H's (coupe and convertible) I had rented in the past.

I don't really care about the aluminum overlay on the dash face. the my-color gauge feature would be a nice-to-have (all I assumed IUP was). However, what would would it take to add the trip computer functionality of the IUP on a car not originally equipped with it? If it's too difficult... or expensive, I'll just track my MPG the old fashioned way.

Thanks,

Matt

I had it done at my local dealer and he messed it up. He couldn't figure how to get the TPMS to work again with the new cluster. So I had him put the old one back in and still hit took him a week to figure out how to get the TPMS working. However, now that he knows how to do it he won't try to put the IUP cluster back in. For those cars without TPMS ('05-'06) it is a breeze to install. So it ended up I don't have the IUP installed and it cost me almost $400 of labor to try. I was lucky they took the parts back!

I can't afford it now to try again, and even if I did, I'd have to get another dealer who knows how to do it.

There are TONS AND TONS AND TONS of postings on this topic in other Mustang forums going back years. Some installs seem to go well, MANY others not so much. Usually it's a programming issue and things like TPS and never get resolved. This is not an approved Ford upgrade so it depends on the installer's experience around all the issues etc.., as to how things may turn out.

I had looked into this for my 05 and decided after a lot of research to forget it.

There are TONS AND TONS AND TONS of postings on this topic in other Mustang forums going back years. Some installs seem to go well, MANY others not so much. Usually it's a programming issue and things like TPS and never get resolved. This is not an approved Ford upgrade so it depends on the installer's experience around all the issues etc.., as to how things may turn out.

I had looked into this for my 05 and decided after a lot of research to forget it.

ditto. i doubt my local dealership can handle something as trivial as tire presure sensors.

so i'm not goin to upgrade anything. my car has spent enough time at the dealership already :banghead:

Thanks,

Matt

One thing I will say is that I also didn't like the aluminum dash in the IUP package. I like the looks of the black dash. In fact, the Roush "Blackjack" doesn't come with the IUP precisely for that reason. Most of the Roush cars don't have IUP because they like the option of installing the carbon fiber trim which doesn't work well with the aluminum dash (even the black masked aluminum).

I installed the SPP gauge cluster, which looks far better than the IUP cluster. It's a really cool mod that you won't regret. Money better spent than installing the IUP cluster.

Archived