TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT 500 VS Sheby GT Suspension

Can anybody settle this argument about the two cars supensions. My friend says the GT 500 is a much better softer comfortable ride then the Shelby GT.I thought that the GT500 would be as hard a ride as my Shelby GT. I am curious if anybody had the opportunity to sample both great cars. Better yet if anyone out there had some track time with either.

I think you will get many opposing viewpoints. I think the 500 people will like theirs best and we SGT poeple will like ours best because we are all used to our cars. All will be correct based on individual preferences. The beauty about these cars is that we all have multiple choices.

I've driven both and sorry to say I found the SGT much more solid. I felt the 500 was too soft, for me, for the kind of car - ie.a Shelby.

Similarly I found the shift to be the same. The 500 was loose and difficult to find the gears at times. I like my stiff suspension and shift.

Again this is only based on my preferences. Please try to find both cars to test for yourself to really make the most appropriate decision. Plus you'll have fun doing it.

Hey guys, thought I'd add my 2cents since I own a GT500 and have driven a SGT.

Stock, the 500 sits higher and is a softer suspension than the SGT. I liked the SGT set up so much that my GT500 now has the FRPP handling package and is very solid feeling and turns like its on rails.

I may never have the opportunity to drive a GT500, but I love the feel of my Shelby GT. It reminds me in many ways of my race-prepped BMW's of old. Having that feel on the street is great! Many people I'm sure would find it too harsh, but that's the way I like it.

....I think the 500 people will like theirs best and we SGT poeple will like ours best because we are all used to our cars....

....The 500 was loose and difficult to find the gears at times.

Um, perhaps you haven't read the thousands of posts where GT500 owners are griping about their suspension.

The GT500 is softer and higher. The only thing it does better right out of the box, suspension-wise, is hop. If you are into hopping, the GT500 is your car. It's got that bit down pat. Hippity hop. Boing. It's a regular tigger.

On the other hand, I can't imagine why you would have trouble finding gears, unless you were expecting an automatic. The shifter is spring loaded so 1-2 and 5-6 require side pressure. If you just push or pull you'll get 3 and 4. It's a piece of cake.

I have driven both. As stated above the GT500 is soft and compliant vs. the race bred FR500C suspension on the SGT. The shifting is very different. Not in finding the right gear but just feel. Hust vs. factory. No comparison. Change out the shifter and they would feel the same.

Roger

The SGT has the Ford Handling Pack installed which is installed at SAI. This lowers the car, has different springs and shocks, which is why it has a stiffer ride and handles better. The GT500 is softer.

I just recently had the Ford Handling Pack installed on my GT500.

My GT500 rides and handles the same as the SGT now.

I own one of each and the SGT is definately more of a track car suspension. The GT500; however, does have a truly grand touring suspension with a softer ride, suitable for long distance travel. I enjoy both cars very much.

Safe driving and God bless,

Al

Hey All,

As I own both a 08 GT500 and a 07SGT I can attest to the virtues of both cars stock and some comparo's after extensive mods to my SGT.

The GT500 is more complient and in my opinion a better highway cruiser in stock form, quiter, more refined, and a lot less in your face. The shifter stock, sucks as in long reach, lots of lash and requires some practice to shift between 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. The handling at best is barely ok, for a car that is capable of serious performance the suspension is pathetic, but hence the more complient ride and comfort.

So, that I guess is a 2 pronged answer from which school of thought you come from, do you like lots road feel, or do you prefer a sport sedanish ride?

The SGT is another beast, the suspension reminds you this is a racing set-up, low to the ground and with the right wheels and tires a very good handling canyon carver, but alas like the pathetic shifter above someone decided this almost street performer didn't need good wheels and tires to allow one to take advantage of the racing suspension. The ride reminds one that this is almost a race car, the road bumps are richtor scale detectable, and the jarred impacts remind one to make sure dinner has been dijested before going out for a cruise. But, with the addition of 20" wheels and tires of proper girth the handling package is now usable and one can carve a tight ramp at 60 plus and know the car will stay on the road.

My SGT has been mod'ed by Taska, and is now more than a capable sports car, pumping 476 RWHP, 20inch wheels and tires f/r, the all important bling, and heads back for a real clutch, CS6 hood, and some minor handling goodies. Of course any semblance to a Lincoln and a comfortable ride is purley accidental and your mental state before you headed out.

If I had to choose between the cars, the SGT would win hands down as a sports car, very fast, good handling, lots of thumbs up, and a true conversation car, with the mod's a real mean car. But, for taking a cruise here in New England on the highway to the ocean or mountains the comfort of the GT500 makes for a compelling reason to swap storage with the SGT.

So, I hoped I answered your questions, as you can see it all depends on your intended use. If you Super Snake the GT500 or mod it with the racing suspension the reasons to choose one over the other becomes less obvious.

Perhaps down the road, if moola is available I will mod the GT500 and will let you know how I see them both at that time.

Moe in NH.

We just drove my '08 SGT Barrett Jackson to Vegas from Colorado. I disagree with the "track" (SGT) vs "touring" (GT500) labels. I felt like I was in a body molded cockpit. The seat was comfortable - I drove the first 550 miles myself. My wife took over for about 100 miles so I could take a catnap. She was afraid of it at first - it actually has a suspension and responsive steering - but after she drove it onto the freeway ramp she was sold. Now I've got to take it away from her. The one we drove was the automatic. Maybe the twins will become "his" and "hers".

That said, the FRPP suspension kit can be added to the GT500. Be careful with it though. They put speed bumps in the parking lot at work and I can't go over them without hitting them (at 0 speed - they're 4.5" high, and I figure the clearance is about 4.25").

The GT500 is softer and higher. The only thing it does better right out of the box, suspension-wise, is hop. If you are into hopping, the GT500 is your car. It's got that bit down pat. Hippity hop. Boing. It's a regular tigger.

The reason it hops is because of the added horsepower and the effect it has on the rear end. My modded 2006 Mustang GT also did this when I added horsepower to the stock 4.6L engine.

The Shelby GT would not have as much of this effect because of the lowered suspension even if it had more horsepower, and besides, I love the way the Shelby GT's look from the side - Definately done right !

On My GT500, I beefed the rear up with Billet Lower Control Arms and an adustible upper control arm, and even though I am running greater than 600 rwhp and rwtq, the hop issue is gone.

Allthough the GT500 ride is very comfortable, i still like the look of the Shelby GT with the lowered stance - if only you could have the best of both.........

I have to agree,

When both my cars GT500 and SGT are parked side by side, the overwhelming preference is the SGT, hands down the look, sound, and in my cars case lots of go with the show. I think the SGT has the stance that the GT500 is missing and even when its a KR or SS it still lacks that same stance.

Anyone looking for a marginally used GT500 loaded, pretty much stock????

Moe in NH.

PS, I did not intend to insult any owners of either car, I own both, I stated my opinions as to which car has its practical use and where each car is more at home on the road. Its not to say my idea of Jilts, Jolts, and highway irregularities are fictional, my SGT with 20 inch wheels and tires, some minor handling mods registers these road annoyances with more aplomb before my mod's. But, these are the sacrifices of taking a car to performance extremes.

I have to agree,

When both my cars GT500 and SGT are parked side by side, the overwhelming preference is the SGT, hands down the look, sound, and in my cars case lots of go with the show. I think the SGT has the stance that the GT500 is missing and even when its a KR or SS it still lacks that same stance.

Anyone looking for a marginally used GT500 loaded, pretty much stock????

Moe in NH.

PS, I did not intend to insult any owners of either car, I own both, I stated my opinions as to which car has its practical use and where each car is more at home on the road. Its not to say my idea of Jilts, Jolts, and highway irregularities are fictional, my SGT with 20 inch wheels and tires, some minor handling mods registers these road annoyances with more aplomb before my mod's. But, these are the sacrifices of taking a car to performance extremes.

Moe,

Now that you have had your car back for a little while can you give a more specific explanation on your perspective between the GT500 vs. the Supercharged Shelby GT? I know you mentioned the handling and one is a cruiser compared to the other a sports car, but what about over-all speed, quickness, brakes now that you upgraded, and handling? Any information would be great, I am looking at doing most of the mods you have already done.

Regards

I also own both...'07s. When I parked the SGT next to the 500, the 500 screamed to be lowered. At 3/4s of a mile on the interstate, the 500 looked like a frightened deer with its tail thrown up running through the woods. I read many articles and thought about how to best do what I wanted without having the loss of ride quality that the SGT has as delivered from SHELBY. It bounces along some roads.

I've waited and waited for SHELBY parts (Dan whats there name) to release the SHELBY suspension The 500 now has STEEDA adjustable suspension system with Tokico D shocks, adjustable 3rd link, billet lower control arms, adjustable panhard & brace, coil overs, bumpsteer tie rod ends, HD X5 ball joints, HD upper strut mounts, and some other HD parts. Change the shifter linkage to TRI ax short shift also. The car is adjusted down 1 1/2" on all corners (matches the SGT). It will now corner with the SGT. I still await SHELBY to release the suspension update, and the driving light/brake addition, but don't we all...

The ride of the 500 is about 15% stiffer than stock, much less than that of the SGT. The cheap way to lower the car ride height is to use the FRPP kit that uses a shorter stiffer spring, but you lose a greater amount comfort control. I guess I would rather spend more for handling and control without a great sacrifice in the ride.

The SGT is getting a SC to help the car along the straight aways. The WHIPPLE is going back and the KB shipped yesterday. The 500 is still nose heavy...

Hey CarNut,

I have to honestly say, after driving my SGT back to Taska today for some other mod's, CS6 Hood, Minor RearEnd Suspension Upgrades, and a Better Racing Clutch, which is a 90 or so mile ride one way, I got home and went to storage and retrieved my GT500.

Summation;

Pros/Cons to both cars;

The GT500 Pro's

Nicer Seats more Comfy

Quitier

Beefy Steering Wheel

Smoother Ride

Fast

Nicer Bling, the Valve Covers in Grey with Bold SVT

look nice.

Those Cobra's stuck all over are what its about.

Garners lots of attention, but anything with lots of

Cobra's stuck to it, would.

The Nav Upgrade is nice as is the Leather Dash and Red

inserts, I think I'll swap interiors, hmmmmmmmm

GT500 Con's

Nose Heavy, you feel it after a day driving the SGT,

the 5.4 is a substantial motor.

Pretty mundane under the hood, I guess my polished Whipple

in my SGT looks prettier, hmmmmmmmm.

To Bad Ford didn't follow Shelby and make certain things on

a Limited production car off limits to non GT500 Owners.

(But if I was loosing Billions I suppose I'd sell anything to

keep above water)

Corners like its ass is high in the wind, whoops it is can't see

anything but sky in the rearview mirror.

This car begs for serious suspension Upgrades, then there

goes that smoother ride.

The Shaker 500 radio really kind'a sucks, no way does it sound

as nice as the 1000.

There is no way a Stock GT500 would out handle a Stock SGT,

Now add better tires and a SC'er and say goodbye to the GT500

on the Straight Aways.

SGT Pro's

Sweet posture, low and lean looking.

Under Hood is sweeeeet, with the Dress-UP kit

Hardware and Polished SC'er, nice.

Shaker 1000 is the stock radio, it cranks for stock.

The exhaust says it all, Muscle Car V8

The AR Shelby Torq Thrust 20" in Black are right on, Thanks

Dennis, great recommendation.

Fast really Fast

Did I mention it looks sweet?

Garners more thumbs up and comments than any car I have

owned to date.

This car handles like it should, say goodbye to most anything

short of a Porsche, BMW, or Dedicated Sports Car.

This is the car to go and whip on Corvettes, but I suspect most

of them wouldn't know what to do anyways, ever see some geezer

driving his 65-70K Z06 at 40 MPH down the highway, lolololol

why Bother.

SGT Con's

Highway Chop is very apparent, very.

Driving in Mass over Bridges Sucks, why they

don't find a better sollution to expansion joints is beyond

me, we don't have that shit in NH.

Is not overly quite, course with the Shaker 1K blasting

who cares.

Some minor dumb quips, blah interior, nothing to rave

about other than a plaque.

Gas Mileage, good thing its not my daily driver,

Really belongs on a RaceTrack, Guess I have to head to Epping

here in NH.

In short, the SGT is a sweet ride, Shelby Mod it and keep it Shelby.

I think this is the collectors car down the rode, it may not say Cobra,

but, it says Shelby and actually is one.

Moe in NH

So what I can see is that the SGT has the better suspension because the people with GT500's are changing theirs out. Well I shouldn't say it's better but it is prefered by more people.

SHELBYBRO, I don't think I'd say that. What I was saying is the GT500 doesn't have that SGT stance. What I did with my 500 is lower the car (got the stance) and enhance the handling and drivability without the 'sometimes' too stiff ride of a shorter spring height . I like to say, that is the way FORD should have turned turned out the GT500 and not the '4-wheel drive version'. I love the way they both handle now, but the SGT should come from FORD with 400hp. That is in the works at this time for my SGT. Try out a 500.

Highflight I totally agree that they should have put more power in the SGT and all I was trying to say is exactly what you said. People do want their car to look more agressive in the sense of having a lower stance. I have never driven a GT500 so I couldn't tell you my honest opinoin on how it handles versus the SGT. Personally I like a stiff ride. Man that sounds bad.

I haved owned both and now have a GT500 with CAI+tune and SGT mufflers. As a week-end car the SGT was more fun to toss around. But as a daily driver on decent roads in Atlanta area it was a bit much. I can't imagine driving a SGT on the roads up north with all the pot holes and stuff. Talk about a salt and pepper ride , wow. The GT500 because of the wider tires will handle high speed curves with confidence, but only a little softer. Both are FUN to drive!!! The SGT has a intake roar like a 60's muscle car and the GT500 with the CAI sounds more like a jet on take off. Also because of the extra torque second gear in the GT500 feels like 1st gear in the SGT. The GT500 pushes you into the seat alot more in 2nd gear all the way up.On entrance ramps it's balls out fast with no control problems (no bounce). I had a 05 corvette that felt unstable @ speed, these cars don't. The GT500 is to high in the rear , but i don't want a harsh ride and you can't adjust the panrod. Because of this the diver side rear tire would stick out further than the other side. It's allready 3/8 " more in stock trim.You GT500 owners go look @ your rear tires and you will notice.

Hey Mach1,

Absolutley, if my only car was my SGT it would would not be a stellar companionship. This car is a great week-end Toy, the occasional trip down Main St, and perhaps a occasional short trip, and be reminded why its not your everyday cruiser.

My SGT is heading down the path of Performance, which relegates it to the Garage or Storage with periodic use as the urge hits.

I will say in fairness, the GT500 is a daily criuiser, I may mod it with minor improvments, no Super Snake, but shit, at the rate I'm going my SGT will have cost that anyways.

20 Inch Rims, Maybe them fancy and expencive Alcoa things, lol

See if I can use my former FRAir Cleaner off the SGT, the Whipple came with one.

Change the Belt and Pully, claims 45+ HP gain.

Some underhood Bling, every car needs jewlery.

Maybe lower it a tad, see if I can take the ass end down a notch.

Maybe throw a Better tune, Dennis at Taska takes pride in his Tuning Abilities.

Otherwise, Like you Mach1, I want to have a driver that has a more pleasent side, my SGT in its current and future form will wind up being shown or at the track.

Moe in NH

Archived