TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steeda Adaptive Performance Calibration

I'm posting using my iPhone at a car show so this will be quick. I'm reading the Race Pages and saw a favorable review of this adaptive tune and was hoping some of you smarter guys could give an opinion.

Sure sounds awesome!

http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_news/02-...calibration.php

It automatically changes timing when you change octane fuel to give you the most HP for that type of fuel. If you add a Supercharger it will change to make the most HP. It comes with a flash tool that will let you adjust tire size and gear ratio like the other programmers.

Steeda's Adaptive Performance Calibration is the most complete and versatile tuning solution on the market!

This calibration is available for both naturally aspirated and supercharged versions. These are the same calibrations now used in the our Q350, Q500, and Q650 Mustangs!

The naturally aspirated adaptive calibration will automatically sense fuel octane level and adjust automatically for maximum performance and fuel economy. No more flashing your car back and forth to switch fuels.

Our supercharged calibration has the ability to sense changes in boost and airflow and automatically tune itself to keep proper timing and air fuel ratio. This means if you want to upgrade from the pulley that comes with our system you can simply swap the pulley and drive away. No need for the additional expense of dyno tuning. All that is required is the use of 91 octane or higher fuel. The system does the rest.

Both the naturally aspirated and supercharged calibrations are 50 state CARB legal but must be used with specified hardware to be legal.

For naturally aspirated calibrations the required hardware for legal use is Steeda's complete cold air intake system and our charge motion delete plates. See our charge motion plates here (also available in Billet) and cold air intake kit here.

For the Steeda supercharged calibration use of Steeda's Whipple supercharger system is required for legal use. See this link for the complete system.

Steeda's Adaptive Performance Calibration is the only calibration on the market that is endorsed and approved by Ford.

I'm posting using my iPhone at a car show so this will be quick. I'm reading the Race Pages and saw a favorable review of this adaptive tune and was hoping some of you smarter guys could give an opinion.

Sure sounds awesome!

I'll post more info when I get home later today.

It sure looks interesting, they are claiming to be the most efficient setup out there right now with a Whipple. I'd like to see how they do on the dyno.

I was interested until I read "For naturally aspirated calibrations the required hardware for legal use is Steeda's complete cold air intake system and our charge motion delete plates.". This becomes quite an expensive mod then! I guess time and guinea pigs will tell if its really worth the money.

I was interested until I read "For naturally aspirated calibrations the required hardware for legal use is Steeda's complete cold air intake system and our charge motion delete plates.". This becomes quite an expensive mod then! I guess time and guinea pigs will tell if its really worth the money.

No, we have the Steeda CAI it's just labeled Ford Racing.

It sounds to me that this is just a 3rd party expansion of what Ford has done with the Bullet.

No, we have the Steeda CAI it's just labeled Ford Racing.

It sounds to me that this is just a 3rd party expansion of what Ford has done with the Bullet.

I thought the complete Steeda system included their elbow. I think you're right about the "expansion"; it may even be the same system for all we know.

Thanks, Jeff, but no thanks. I'll stick with what I have from Shelby. If I decide I want to retune, I know who to see. Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance in Stillman Valley, Il. 815.645.1199. Worth the drive.

I know that they ran one of their cars at the Track Guys event we put on at Sebring International Raceway, the Memorial Day Weekend. Air temps were in the mid to high 90s, with high humidity. Some of the GT500s and the 03/04 Cobras were having overheating problems and their cars were not running very good, but the Steeda car performed all weekend long without an issue.

Might be worth looking into for those in high heat areas, who are going to do open track driving.

Dell

Thanks, Jeff, but no thanks. I'll stick with what I have from Shelby. If I decide I want to retune, I know who to see. Corey Simpson/Simpson Performance in Stillman Valley, Il. 815.645.1199. Worth the drive.

Can you expand on this a little more? I respect your opinion and I was hoping you would chime in! To me it would seem that a a Tune by nature is static but the car and the environment are not so why not have a self-calibrating tune? Is it because you think the nuances are too complex for a program rather than a human professional tuner? I would say your right, but the law of averages would tell me that as I drive in different conditions etc., the sum may favor the adaptive tune especially if I can drive a lower octane around town and save $$$ leaving the higher stuff for those fun runs.

I trust your judgement which is why I am asking.

There are some good points here. A static tune is just that though, it was good for the conditions on the day that it was made at a shop. I've heard of at least one GT500 owner who was from the east with a 93 octane tune and when they were out west driving their car and could only get 91 octane they blew their motor! It's likely that 93 tune was rather aggressive and right on the edge anyway, but with an adaptive system like this that would not have happened. I think it's a great idea because sometimes you get a bad tank of gas. I can rarely tell in my newer cars, but I can certainly tell bad gas in my old 427 or gas that says it's a certain octane and really isn't because the 11.7 compression doesn't lie. Therefore I have to back off the timing or re-tune for that minor change or risk blowing the motor. This adaptive tuning is very intriguing.

• 2 years later...

Archived