TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Chromed Stock GT 500 Wheels

I came across a place that chromes factory wheels.

I like the idea because it is about the only 18" wheel out there that will clear the front breaks and I have been looking for 18" chrome wheels without much luck.

Just curious if anyone has experience with these guys (see links below) and weather it was good or bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...bayphotohosting

http://www.calchrome.com/

Thanks.

I think you could become a millionaire, if you made a stock wheel chrome 11 1/2 inches wide with a outside lip that was even with the fender well "about 1 1/2 inch or 2 lip" for the back and 9 inch front or even an 8 inch front. Also make them in 20's. Have the sides of the spokes available in different colors. Like blue, white, red, black, vapor, ect. I know 18's with a big side wall is starting to grow on me. At first i didn't like-em. I think it gives it an old muscle car look. Also they are making 20 inch tires big enough to give that look. Back on topic, Chuck they would look killer. I never used anyone for chroming. Sorry.

I don't get it. It costs $700 to have your stock wheels chromed. Or buy a set of chromed replicas for as little as $600 AND you get to keep your OEMs...... Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I will look again but I don't remember seeing the chrome replicas in the exact same size as the OEM’s. Also are the replicas as well made, i.e. are they as strong as the OEM’s? If replicas are available in the same size and offset that may be the way to go.

I will likely do one or the other as I really like the look of chrome wheels on a black car.

I will look again but I don't remember seeing the chrome replicas in the exact same size as the OEM’s.

Perfect size (18x9.5) and excellent quality, albeit the price is a little high. I even have the same design in 17-inch on my wife's '05. Going on three years and still look new.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2007-gt500-1...hrome-2005.html

This company shows wrong offset for S197s but they have the correct one. I have called and confirmed this. They are 18x19.5 with a +50mm offset.

http://www.oewheelsdirect.com/index.php?ma...p;products_id=8

You want the +50mm offset here:

http://www.rev-wheel.com/oe/310.html

Willie

post-9149-1218345660.jpg

post-9149-1218345660.jpg

Good looking wheels Willie.

I see that you live in Tucson. Great city. I fly into Tucson about once a month to head to AP mexico for business. I usually spend Thursday night in Tucson before I fly out Friday morning. I enjoy just driving around Tucson and taking in the sights. There are some great restaurants there and the golf courses are beautiful too.

I don't get it. It costs $700 to have your stock wheels chromed. Or buy a set of chromed replicas for as little as $600 AND you get to keep your OEMs...... Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yep, thats what I did, and should easily be able to sell the stock wheels for most of what you would pay for Chrome replicas....

post-6373-1218374952.jpg

post-6373-1218374952.jpg

I think you could become a millionaire, if you made a stock wheel chrome 11 1/2 inches wide with a outside lip that was even with the fender well "about 1 1/2 inch or 2 lip" for the back and 9 inch front or even an 8 inch front. Also make them in 20's. Have the sides of the spokes available in different colors. Like blue, white, red, black, vapor, ect. I know 18's with a big side wall is starting to grow on me. At first i didn't like-em. I think it gives it an old muscle car look. Also they are making 20 inch tires big enough to give that look. Back on topic, Chuck they would look killer. I never used anyone for chroming. Sorry.

+10 I think the stock wheel in a 20X10 would just be killer

I see that you live in Tucson.

Dude, give me a jingle and let's hook up for dinner or whatever. I'm free Thursday nights. My daughter has cheerleading practice and my wife usually takes her. I'm PM you my number if you're game.

Willie

I see that you live in Tucson.

Dude, give me a jingle and let's hook up for dinner or whatever. I'm free Thursday nights. My daughter has cheerleading practice and my wife usually takes her. I'm PM you my number if you're game.

Willie

Definitely PM me your number. I am usually out eating dinner by myself the night before I leave so that would be perfect. I'll let you know as soon as I book my next trip.

Charles

looks like 50mm offset is common in the 18 inch replica wheels but the OEM offset is 45mm. Not a big deal unless you want to squeeze the max width tire onto your ride sometime in the future.

The 50mm offset (assuming similiar backspace to OEM) will push more of the tire in (towards the differential) and thus closer to suspension components causing potential rubbing problems

looks like 50mm offset is common in the 18 inch replica wheels but the OEM offset is 45mm. Not a big deal unless you want to squeeze the max width tire onto your ride sometime in the future.

The 50mm offset (assuming similiar backspace to OEM) will push more of the tire in (towards the differential) and thus closer to suspension components causing potential rubbing problems

I know the specs are 5mm different but the wheels measure the same. The offset of the Replica Wheel GT500 and the OEM GT500 are within 1mm of the same. I have had them side by side and have the RWs on the car now (widened to 11" in the rear) The stock center caps even fit.

I went with the American Muscle wheels, and TPMS strap kits. I also thought that I can sell the OEM for what I paid for these wheels.

Wow Doug those really look nice! Are they the same offset as the stock wheels? If not, do you have any pictures from behind?

Thanks, those look like a very viable option.

I know the specs are 5mm different but the wheels measure the same. The offset of the Replica Wheel GT500 and the OEM GT500 are within 1mm of the same. I have had them side by side and have the RWs on the car now (widened to 11" in the rear) The stock center caps even fit.

Good info to know since 5 mm is almost a quarter inch I think. To increase the odds of getting a wheel equal to OEM specs, where did you order yours from if I may ask?

BTW I see that you have the redline elite struts. That brings back memories for me of drilling holes in the hood and riveting for the first time. They are a nice unit though and worth the effort :yup:

Good info to know since 5 mm is almost a quarter inch I think. To increase the odds of getting a wheel equal to OEM specs, where did you order yours from if I may ask?

BTW I see that you have the redline elite struts. That brings back memories for me of drilling holes in the hood and riveting for the first time. They are a nice unit though and worth the effort :yup:

Replica Wheel brand from Discount Tire Online

They also supplied the Nittos, TPMS straps etc.

Archived