TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is this what I need?

Iam planning on purchaseing this supercharger from Steeda and having it installed on my 08 SGT. I just got off the phone with the sales rep and he assures me that it is correct for the 08s. There are no techs working on Saturdays at Steeda and I need to be sure before buying and I would also like to find out if there is a better way to go about getting this done quickly.Since I live in GA and sending my car off for weeks is not an option I would also like to find out if anyone can recomend someone in the Atlanta area for the install.

Jeff

http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_supercharger_s197.php

The person at Steeda if full of it. There is no Whipple kit out yet as of 14 Aug 08 for the 08's and I have an 08 also. I've been talking with FRPP 800-FORD-788 opt2 and Whipple in California 559-442-1261 Mike Malicoat or anyone there. They are still waiting final pricing and the new airbox that has changed on the 08's. The pic in the Steeda add is 05-07 and the 08 won't even look like that. I have been waiting for months for the Whipple 08 kit and anyone that says that have one (Whipple) is dead wrong. The 07 kit would bolt on however there is no tune in that kit that will work on the 08 from FRPP due to the MAF difference etc. You could try a custom tune but just a waste of time. Best bet is to fax an order to Whipple and check weekly on the status. I'm #2 on any kit that will be sent out from Whipple. By the way this long wait really has been going on for me since Feb 08 and they have been messing with this longer. That's what happens when California air geeks get involved requiring more bs for the same kit used in 07 other than the airbox. :rant2:

I would have to partially agree on a custom tune. May want to verify the supplied tune is satisfactory but re-doing the tune especially on the Whipple and the tune FRPP supplies is not required. A Shelby GT was just done at Tampa Bay Shelby and no issies with the supplied tune. I discussed this matter in detail with the techs at Whipple and FRPP and re-tuning is not needed. Now if you want more power you will need a re-tune. The kits at least from Whipple and the supplied FRPP tune are conservative and better ensure you don't lean out and detonate and destroy the engine. They have done enough testing and know what the 4.6 will handle fairly safe and going too far beyond that will sooner rrather than later lead to failures. Asking more than 500rwhp from these engines is stepping out on thin ice when you have no forged internals.

When I was discussing a tune is a waste of time, that was directed towards installing a 07 kit on an 08 car and a total custom tune. I would just wait for the 08 rather than doing that.

I see your point now, Rad, thanks for explaining it.

I still have my reservations about "canned" tunes, even from FRP and SAI. For premium performance and maximum safety, programming should be tailored to local conditions where the car is mostly/usually driven. I do not presume that a program written by a tuner in a tropical environment will deliver safe power in less than tropical climates. This is why our factory SGT tunes are intentionally altered for maximum safety in all climates.

I'm still driving on my original SAI/FRP tune, and my tuner has promised me that there is more power on the table I am not tapping. I'm not ready for that yet, but when I am, there's another 15 RWHP/12 RWTQ just waiting on me to retune. Prolly get better MPG as well.

I've got a brenspeed tune but would like a professional tune.What does that cost on average LULU? Would a professional tuner use my tuner that i already have or would i need to buy a new tuner. I am planning on putting headers on my car first.Also about how much is labor for driveshaft and UCA. Thanks

Iam planning on purchaseing this supercharger from Steeda and having it installed on my 08 SGT. I just got off the phone with the sales rep and he assures me that it is correct for the 08s. There are no techs working on Saturdays at Steeda and I need to be sure before buying and I would also like to find out if there is a better way to go about getting this done quickly.Since I live in GA and sending my car off for weeks is not an option I would also like to find out if anyone can recomend someone in the Atlanta area for the install.

Jeff

http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_supercharger_s197.php

Wait for the FRPP Whipple with the Ford Procal tune. You will regret a custom tune.

ANYONE need a FRPP Whipple for their '07, new in the box, unopened? Why you ask? I was told many promise dates of when the SC was to be shipped or shipped, had to wait for 10 business days for a tracking number. No where to be found. I ordered a Kenne Bell which shipped two days after SCOTT DRake placed my order! Well the KB got here before the Whipple. So the Whipple goes back. Lead, Follow, or get out of the Way. You don't have to put up with poor performance.

I've got a brenspeed tune but would like a professional tune.What does that cost on average LULU? Would a professional tuner use my tuner that i already have or would i need to buy a new tuner. I am planning on putting headers on my car first.Also about how much is labor for driveshaft and UCA. Thanks

shelbytexan...You already own a device, so, you're ahead of this cost, but but for others starting from scratch and not owning a hand held programmer such as an SCT or a DiabloSport, one should budget 500 to 600 dollars for your first custom dyno tune by a professional tuner. You will need to buy a device to accomplish and store the tunes, and cost tends to be in the 300.00 range.

Custom tuning was way expensive years ago. My first custom tune cost 700.00 because few tuners had come out of the woodwork yet. I paid a Ford engineeer to travel from Livonia, MI. to Kenny Brown's facility in Indianapolis to tune my supercharged Marauder, and there were no hand held programmers back then either, he used a "break out box" to flash the EEC. Thus, this man later went on to create a hand help programmer and open the company we know today as SCT.

An "average" custom tuning charge is somewhat hard to pin down, labor rates tend to be regional, and in my area, controlled by union shops. I've spent between 100 and 300 bucks for a custom tuner's services and dyno time. Likewise quoting labor for installing a one-piece driveshaft and rear UCA, but I will suggest an average labor charge of 150.00 for install of both.

You will regret a custom tune.

Why is that?

The difference, IMHO, is much like the difference between buying a suit of the rack, and having that suit tailored for a better fit and appearance. Custom tuning is not only the best way to flush out the power, but it's also the best way to set safety margins.

Thanks for the info. It's always good to have someone on the forum who's been there and done that.You've been a great asset to the forum with your knowledge and experience.Now get your car dyno'ed again so i can see what the driveshaft has done for your car. Thanks again.

The person at Steeda if full of it. There is no Whipple kit out yet as of 14 Aug 08 for the 08's and I have an 08 also. I've been talking with FRPP 800-FORD-788 opt2 and Whipple in California 559-442-1261 Mike Malicoat or anyone there. They are still waiting final pricing and the new airbox that has changed on the 08's. The pic in the Steeda add is 05-07 and the 08 won't even look like that. I have been waiting for months for the Whipple 08 kit and anyone that says that have one (Whipple) is dead wrong. The 07 kit would bolt on however there is no tune in that kit that will work on the 08 from FRPP due to the MAF difference etc. You could try a custom tune but just a waste of time. Best bet is to fax an order to Whipple and check weekly on the status. I'm #2 on any kit that will be sent out from Whipple. By the way this long wait really has been going on for me since Feb 08 and they have been messing with this longer. That's what happens when California air geeks get involved requiring more bs for the same kit used in 07 other than the airbox. :rant2:

Get the K/B 500 RWHP even for the Auto Trans it is available now!!! Just got mine installed at SAI it looks awesome.

Get the K/B 500 RWHP even for the Auto Trans it is available now!!! Just got mine installed at SAI it looks awesome.

I have seriously considered doing just that but my problem is finding someone in the Atlanta area who I can trust to do a quailty install since shipping my car across the country and waiting for weeks is not an option for me. I have found one dealer in the area that still does installs and I have not asked but Iam sure that is for the Whipple only and they scared me off because they said that the Whipple is ready to ship for the 08 which I know for a fact that it is not. The install is only reason that there is not a K/B under my hood right now even though I really prefer the Whipple. I have talked to several performace shops about this and they say yeah come on down,08 4.6 Whipple no problem. There has got to be someone in the Atlanta area that does quailty work which is what I will demand in detail. I do know that I will buy my S/C and then have it installed wheather it winds up being a Whipple or a K/B. I just want it right and I want it now! Never thought dumping $6000 would be such a problem.

Jeff

Archived