TEAM SHELBY FORUM

WHO IS GOING TO TERLINGUA WITH THEIR TERLINGUA?

robertlane

Who has one? I don't think I've seen a pic or a mention of anyone actually having one in their possession yet....

Who is signed up to go to Terlingua and is bringing their Terlingua?

Hi Robert,

Great question - I am looking forward to being one assuming of course my car is modified and ready in time! It is waiting at Quantum as I write and has been there since June 6th. Any info on mod package availabilty ???

I hope we can make a showing of them - it will be awesome! Mine is to be TRT070401

Thanks and any uodates would be great,

David

PS Really looking forward to meeting folks at the event!

This has got me wondering if any of the 3 mod shops have completed a customer build yet?

Would luv to see some photos of what's in the works from any of those shops.

David, hope things speed up for you soon, the waiting is tough--took about

4 months for Saleen and their Speedlab shop to finish my special order/modified H281 last year.

(Got a "donor" 07 V6 coupe I would like to have converted sometime this winter, so it

would be great to see what these shops are building. Quantaum or Tasco are the 2 closest to me.)

Hey Blip,

Thanks for the encouragement. I sure hope I am not sounding to discouraged over waiting - not trying too for sure. I have read a recent post by Amy post and agree completely with her that quality work takes time and is worth the wait.

I am just excited about my car in general and really hopeful of having it for the first Terlingua event - because of where and what it is and because I do not have an alternate car and I am signed up and paid! i do have high hopes it will be ready and will be part of the event.

I, too would love to hear any news from folks about any progress on the Terlinguas.

Thanks,

David

David,

I just visited QP's shop today. Talked with Glenn; saw your car.............. He sounded very encouraging about having your car on a trailer headed to Terlingua in September. But a little cheerleading from Robert & Sharon might be helpful too.

We put our deposit down today and will be TRT080401 :shift: :happy feet:

But I think we are going to have to plan on bringing the GT500 to LaJitas :cry: Oh; like that's such a sacrifice :hysterical::hysterical:

btw; I wanted to ask you if you would be "put out" if we got an Oklahoma tag similar to yours for our daughter? She loves to watch The Holy Grail with me, in fact we just saw the Off-Broadway play last month and she was in stitches. I think she would love the plate.......I was thinking VORPAL2 or something like that, but wouldn't do it if you objected.

David,

I just visited QP's shop today. Talked with Glenn; saw your car.............. He sounded very encouraging about having your car on a trailer headed to Terlingua in September. But a little cheerleading from Robert & Sharon might be helpful too.

We put our deposit down today and will be TRT080401 :shift: :happy feet:

But I think we are going to have to plan on bringing the GT500 to LaJitas :cry: Oh; like that's such a sacrifice :hysterical::hysterical:

btw; I wanted to ask you if you would be "put out" if we got an Oklahoma tag similar to yours for our daughter? She loves to watch The Holy Grail with me, in fact we just saw the Off-Broadway play last month and she was in stitches. I think she would love the plate.......I was thinking VORPAL2 or something like that, but wouldn't do it if you objected.

Hey Sprint200,

Thanks for the note and the update. Glenn is great I am glad you are working with him. That is awesome to hear about your daughter's car being the TRT080401 and I love the idea of you going with Vorpal2 - I am pleased, flattered, honored and very happy indeed. It was very kind to check though, but no need of course.

I have enjoyed the Holy Grail for years and when thinking of killer rabbits - voila - the Vorpal Bunny from the cave of death! Here in Texas specialty plates only allow five characters or it would have been Vorpal. It works as is though.

My co-pilot is also a big Holy Grail fan and has the DVd I'll see if he can bring it along! I am glad to hear your daughter appreciated the humor she sounds like great fun indeed. My co-pilot saw Spamelot on Broadway and said its great - we, my wife and I may try again to get decent tickets for the holidays (that's been the problem is we are up there at Xmas time).

I sure do not want to be a thorn in anyone''s side but I would take any cheerleading anyone can give and feel good about. I am sure all are trying their best.

Look forward to seeing you and your group in Terlingua and drop me a copy of the plate if you can - I am so glad folks are getting it!

David

Crispy and Blip,

Awesome photos and love the voice file! It is so satisfying indeed to find other informed folks with such refined taste in movie classics!!! Long live the Vorpal Bunny!

You'all made my day.

David

PS - As stated how could you not be a Python fan?

Crispy and Blip,

Awesome photos and love the voice file! It is so satisfying indeed to find other informed folks with such refined taste in movie classics!!! Long live the Vorpal Bunny!

You'all made my day.

David

PS - As stated how could you not be a Python fan?

Or a Lewis Carroll (Coincidence? I think not!) fan? Well, a fan of his work, anyway.

(Wikipedia)

Lewis Carroll published Through the Looking-Glass in 1871. Near the beginning, Alice discovers and reads "Jabberwocky". The word "vorpal" appears twice in the poem, which describes a young boy's quest to slay a monster called the Jabberwock: "He took his vorpal sword in hand", and later,

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

As with much of the rest of the poem's vocabulary, the reader is left to guess at the meaning of "vorpal" from the context. It is commonly assumed to mean "deadly" or "sharp"[citation needed], words often used to describe swords, but some readers have imagined other properties the word could describe. Alexander L. Taylor points out in his Carroll biography The White Knight that "vorpal" can be formed by taking letters alternately from "verbal" and "gospel". The designers of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game take "vorpal" to mean capable of decapitation, specifically through magical means. This definition is of course a reference to the boy's decapitation of the Jabberwock.

Carroll himself once wrote, "I am afraid I can't explain 'vorpal blade' for you—nor yet 'tulgey wood.'"[1]

That will explain my earlier "Snicker-snack, y'all" comment.

The whole poem is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky

Or a Lewis Carroll (Coincidence? I think not!) fan? Well, a fan of his work, anyway.

(Wikipedia)

Lewis Carroll published Through the Looking-Glass in 1871. Near the beginning, Alice discovers and reads "Jabberwocky". The word "vorpal" appears twice in the poem, which describes a young boy's quest to slay a monster called the Jabberwock: "He took his vorpal sword in hand", and later,

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

As with much of the rest of the poem's vocabulary, the reader is left to guess at the meaning of "vorpal" from the context. It is commonly assumed to mean "deadly" or "sharp"[citation needed], words often used to describe swords, but some readers have imagined other properties the word could describe. Alexander L. Taylor points out in his Carroll biography The White Knight that "vorpal" can be formed by taking letters alternately from "verbal" and "gospel". The designers of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game take "vorpal" to mean capable of decapitation, specifically through magical means. This definition is of course a reference to the boy's decapitation of the Jabberwock.

Carroll himself once wrote, "I am afraid I can't explain 'vorpal blade' for you—nor yet 'tulgey wood.'"[1]

That will explain my earlier "Snicker-snack, y'all" comment.

The whole poem is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky

Hey Frank,

All well said and well appreciated!!! I am an old D & D player, my co-pilot a long time dungeon master and a Lewis Carroll fan as well.

Too funny thanks for all the info!

As I recall from long ago memory - "He took his vorpal sword in hand" long time the maxim foe he sought so stayed he by the tum tum tree and stood a while in thought and as if in uppish thought the Jabberwok with eyes of flame came whiffling throught the tulgey wood and chortled as he came... there was more and something about with his sword in hand he went gallumphing back...

Thanks for the fun.

David

...it's also cool that the decapitation inference would work in the context of Shelby being Ford's 'sword' to 'decpitate' Ferrari. I think Shelby should adopt Vorpal Bunny as the subtitle for the Terlingua logo :) (and then they'd have to give you your Terlingua conversaion for free <lol> ok, I tried... ;-)

...it's also cool that the decapitation inference would work in the context of Shelby being Ford's 'sword' to 'decpitate' Ferrari. I think Shelby should adopt Vorpal Bunny as the subtitle for the Terlingua logo :) (and then they'd have to give you your Terlingua conversaion for free <lol> ok, I tried... ;-)

I agree - great ideas! But seriously, I just want to get my car for the big event.

Thanks for the fun.

David

I want to go to Terlingua with my Terlingua...even if it's just the suspension and appearance kits done on it! I'll have my car up at Quantum by the end of next week. Robert, call me if you have any questions about it. Glenn doesn't know if they are going to be able to get the parts or not and if they can split up the installation (08 car...no supercharger cert from Paxton yet), but with everything else being pretty much "off the shelf", it would be easy to get alot of the car done before Terlingua. I'm on the list as 08TRT0402...which reminds me that I need to bug Michael.

Update: Car ordered, parts being ordered and money being sent to Quantum tomorrow!

Guys,

I am trying very hard to get these done for you all. We all are. It is always difficult when a new model is being produced. We just can't 'slap one together'. To give you perspective of what must be done when we produce a new model:

-We showed the concept car 9 months ago to see if there was interest. After we determined that there was, we had to test the prototype pieces for fit, finish, safety, durability, and emissions standards/safety standards. -We had to look at build feasibility and reliability of the whole car and its parts.-Then we had to test, verify, and align our manufacturers to produce.

-Then we had to ensure supply lines and supply our shops, and then train them. Additionally we had to put controls in place for all of these shops.We did all of this in about 9 months so far...

I hope this clarifies the process a little for you and helps you understand what a large undertaking this is. Building a new model always is!May I ask you, if any other automobile manufacturer would attempt this, how long do you think this would take? Realistically it would probably take years.

So, now I am working with Quantum to get it all rolling. Will I guarantee these will be complete? Heck, I can't guarantee I'll wake up tomorrow!

Will we all pull our hardest to get these done for Terlingua? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Hang in there!!!!! ;)

Chris

Guys,

I am trying very hard to get these done for you all. We all are. It is always difficult when a new model is being produced. We just can't 'slap one together'. To give you perspective of what must be done when we produce a new model:

-We showed the concept car 9 months ago to see if there was interest. After we determined that there was, we had to test the prototype pieces for fit, finish, safety, durability, and emissions standards/safety standards. -We had to look at build feasibility and reliability of the whole car and its parts.-Then we had to test, verify, and align our manufacturers to produce.

-Then we had to ensure supply lines and supply our shops, and then train them. Additionally we had to put controls in place for all of these shops.We did all of this in about 9 months so far...

I hope this clarifies the process a little for you and helps you understand what a large undertaking this is. Building a new model always is!May I ask you, if any other automobile manufacturer would attempt this, how long do you think this would take? Realistically it would probably take years.

So, now I am working with Quantum to get it all rolling. Will I guarantee these will be complete? Heck, I can't guarantee I'll wake up tomorrow!

Will we all pull our hardest to get these done for Terlingua? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

Hang in there!!!!! ;)

Chris

Crispy,

We all appreciate the hard work and dedication that everyone on the "Team" puts into these cars!

I, for one, wouldn't be heart-broken if mine wasn't done in September. After all, I've got "Mango" to play with :shift: . But I am really pulling for Vorpal since he doesn't have another Shelby product to drive during the event.

That being said, it sure would be fun to see a few more Terlingua's in Terlingua.... :happy feet: :happy feet:

I know everyone will do their best though. :beerchug: or should I say :tequila: :hysterical2:

Crispy--thanks for the background information.

This whole concept is a great one for the V6 world.

Now for me, I would just like to be able to schedule a winter built with Tasca, maybe a Jan or Feb time frame.

Do you know when they might start their production work?

Chris,

I, too thank you and the whole group working to make the Terlingua a reality. I know it is a huge task indeed and really appreciate the detail you provided!

Thanks also for all the encouragement from the group regarding having the car for the event - it is indeed my only Shelby product to drive.

I have been more off the forum site then on lately as I have been working wildland firefighting assignments right now and currently I am writing from Oregon instead of Texas as chance allows.

Thanks all,

David aka Vorpal

• 2 weeks later...
Crispy--thanks for the background information.

This whole concept is a great one for the V6 world.

Now for me, I would just like to be able to schedule a winter built with Tasca, maybe a Jan or Feb time frame.

Do you know when they might start their production work?

Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed this!

We should be in full swing by then. I have a discussion slated with Dennis on this subject. We would like to get them up to speed on parts, etc, but it won't be long. They really know how to build cars there!

Chris

Chris,

I, too thank you and the whole group working to make the Terlingua a reality. I know it is a huge task indeed and really appreciate the detail you provided!

Thanks also for all the encouragement from the group regarding having the car for the event - it is indeed my only Shelby product to drive.

I have been more off the forum site then on lately as I have been working wildland firefighting assignments right now and currently I am writing from Oregon instead of Texas as chance allows.

Thanks all,

David aka Vorpal

Any time, David! We are trying our level best.

Be careful out there!

May the bunny be with you! :shift:

Chris

Chris--Thanks for the update, I sent an email to Dennis at Tasca a while ago , but

hadn't heard back. Now I see that I'm a bit ahead of things.

Dennis is usually very good about these things. I would email him again and tell him that you spoke with me about it.

He has more information now. Also, I will be speaking in deeper detail with him on Tuesday. I would request that you wish to be contacted when he begins taking deposits.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Archived