TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New 2nd Generation Flywheel & Nickel hub clutch

Grabber

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabber,

I got my trans, clutch and flywheel replaced in May and It has recently been Super Snaked. Do I have to go get the new flywheel and clutch or should the ones replaced in May be alright. I am just wondering if this is something I should look into even though I am not feeling anything right now.

Vista

The flywheel was not out on the market in May. They were still in production and that's why it took until July 28th to get the TSB released. You can check your part number on your invoice, but I would bet it's the old nodular iron flywheel.

The TSB says right on it that previous repairs and slightly modded cars are eligible if you have symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...
The flywheel was not out on the market in May. They were still in production and that's why it took until July 28th to get the TSB released. You can check your part number on your invoice, but I would bet it's the old nodular iron flywheel.

The TSB says right on it that previous repairs and slightly modded cars are eligible if you have symptoms.

The TSB should include: Part B - The 07,08 and 09 GT500 s that do not currently display symptoms are eligible to have the pilot bearing, flywheel and clutch assembly changed at the customer's convenience to prevent unscheduled down time and unnecessary damage.

Treating customers like you want to be treated goes a long way in building confidence and return business.

I hope Ford is able to take this approach.

The TSB should include: Part B - The 07,08 and 09 GT500 s that do not currently display symptoms are eligible to have the pilot bearing, flywheel and clutch assembly changed at the customer's convenience to prevent unscheduled down time and unnecessary damage.

Treating customers like you want to be treated goes a long way in building confidence and return business.

I hope Ford is able to take this approach.

I am in complete agreement! Ford should recall all GT500's to at least protect all future owners. As it stands, there will be many people that will purchase cars with the original flywheel, etc... years from now, drive them in stop and go traffic, and have complete clutch failure that costs thousands to fix. That is simply not cool, Ford......

Edited by cammerunderpressure

The 2009 GT500's being built after the 2nd week of August 2008 will be free from this problem. The TSB should be honered for 3 years on the cars built priior to that date. Unless you have a total garage queen....you should have some symptoms surface in the next 3 years. IMO, I also think that Ford will honor the TSB longer than 3 years if push comes to shove.

I am in complete agreement! Ford should recall all GT500's to at least protect all future owners. As it stands, there will be many people that will purchase cars with the original flywheel, etc... years from now, drive them in stop and go traffic, and have complete clutch failure that costs thousands to fix. That is simply not cool, Ford......

Right now Ford is doing the least amount of warrenty/recall work as possible. They now will send a picture of your defective part whether it is interior or body paint or whatever to be approved by someone in an office miles away.

Grabber...did you take the time to protect your interior/exterior or was that done by the Ford tech. Cause from what I've seen in most dealers shops is no attention to protecting the customers cars.

I did this to PROTECT MY CAR.

I usually think ahead about this kind of stuff. I put blue tape around the shifter consol because of the removal work they have to do. The plastic consol scratches easily. I also put the blue tape on the door sill to protect from the work boots scuffing the leading edge because getting in and out of a car when it is parked inbetween a lift is a pain because the doors don't open all the way up. If you don't do this your door sill leading paint edge will get beat up. They have to get in and out of the car a dozen times to bleed the clutch and put the shifter back together and then test drive it.

Edited by Grabber

Right now Ford is doing the least amount of warrenty/recall work as possible. They now will send a picture of your defective part whether it is interior or body paint or whatever to be approved by someone in an office miles away.

This is true for body and paint and interior as you just said. I had to have my rear stripes replaced on my trunk lid because they were cracking at the seam overlap.

They took photos and e-mailed them in. A day later I was approved. They ordered twice as many stripes as I needed for some reason, and doubles of everything. The striper let me keep them all. :)

My tech did protect the tail pipes with towells on the rear valance. He also did a nice job protecting the fendors and engine compartment. They put plastic on the seats and paper floor mats in. I was very happy with how they treated me.

Edited by Grabber

Hi All,

I have a brand new GT500 I picked up on September 4th, it had just hit the dealership, my invoice says build is August 08. I've been reading this thread and others concerning the TSB on the clutch. This is what I have noticed. After the car warms up, I get, sometimes, a sound in 2nd gear, a hiss, chatter, a buzz, hard to describe. As I said, it is not consistent, sometimes it will, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it just stops from gear to gear, never happens in 3rd or higher. I have noticed that it seems to be diminishing, maybe the gearbox is breaking in? I picked it up with 12 miles on it, I now have 128 on it. I have also noticed that when the car is in neutral with the clutch in, absolute silence, when I let the clutch out, I hear a chatter, normal?

I hope that my GT has the new parts off of the assembly line, I would be slightly disturbed if I need the TSB that I had to find on the internet, that no one thought to at least talk about and Ford didn't seem to think it was a problem and everyone is all smiles when I'm paying them $48,000 you know what I mean. Although I like my dealership and if there is a problem I know they will make it right, if they ever want to sell me another one they'd better.

Anyway, I love the car and it will be made right if I have a problem. BTY, this is part of the drivetrain so it should be under the 5 yr, 50,000 miles, right?

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

:shift: I have an early 07 with 3100 miles and took it to the dealer and told them it did not shift like it did when new- said what do you mean- it is hard to get into first and reverse and is not smooth, feels nothchy- had a ford parts man who travels the western states and he and a tech took a ride and came back with the comment it does not shift to bad- but I said but it does not shift well and they said it feels fine but the parts person said it would be best to do the tsb and be sure as the car was an eary june 06 production car and that opened the door a litte- also the check trac control - low brakefluid- and brake light came on during their ride- I have had that checked and its seem to be a sensor in the mater cylinder- they have ordered the parts and the tech approved the tsb- I feel they are more than fair and told them I would rather drive in than sit on their lot after being towed and wait for parts for 10 days- as more of these issues are being approved by the dealers my concern is that ford will cramp down on the issues and want more proof- the tech stuck his neck out for me. At this same dealer there is one gt 500 that was towed in for a clutch issue and another that barely made it in on its own- now my car- this dealer in 07 had ony 5 gt 500s to sell. My car is even an out of state car but I purchased the best extended warranty ford had and believe me they know what warranty you have and the more the better. If you have any issues with shifting or your clutch I would suggest getting to the dealer and have him protect your investment- This dealer made the decision in house and how long that will last I do not know. Grabber has done an amazing job for us all and believe me I had his info with me when I went to bat for my car- thanks grabber rs

Hi All,

I have a brand new GT500 I picked up on September 4th, it had just hit the dealership, my invoice says build is August 08. I've been reading this thread and others concerning the TSB on the clutch. This is what I have noticed. After the car warms up, I get, sometimes, a sound in 2nd gear, a hiss, chatter, a buzz, hard to describe. As I said, it is not consistent, sometimes it will, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it just stops from gear to gear, never happens in 3rd or higher. I have noticed that it seems to be diminishing, maybe the gearbox is breaking in? I picked it up with 12 miles on it, I now have 128 on it. I have also noticed that when the car is in neutral with the clutch in, absolute silence, when I let the clutch out, I hear a chatter, normal?

I hope that my GT has the new parts off of the assembly line, I would be slightly disturbed if I need the TSB that I had to find on the internet, that no one thought to at least talk about and Ford didn't seem to think it was a problem and everyone is all smiles when I'm paying them $48,000 you know what I mean. Although I like my dealership and if there is a problem I know they will make it right, if they ever want to sell me another one they'd better.

Anyway, I love the car and it will be made right if I have a problem. BTY, this is part of the drivetrain so it should be under the 5 yr, 50,000 miles, right?

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome Wilmmr!! Grabber will have more precise insight but, unfortunately, I think you missed the new-parts build date by about a week.

One thing you didn't mention is when you're idling in neutral and depress the clutch fully, how long does it take for the slight running-hiss to subside. If within 1-2 seconds it's not hanging up yet yet. More than two seconds and the cluch is dragging and will eventually screw up the tranny synchros.

As soon as you see any symptom(s) you can reliably demonstrate it would be worth geting the TSB scheduled pronto. Realize that the GT500s travel on the lower deck of the transporter because the trans-jocks were smoking the clutches trying to load them up-top and accidentally using thrid-gear in some cases because they don't know from six-speeds -- sad but true. Of course, if you're feeling a bump going into 1st/rev or hard/notchy going in or getting any creep in gear with clutch fully depressed then it's already dragging more seriously. Look for the depressed-clutch hiss as described above -- that's typically the early symptom from what others have reported.

Good luck and have fun! Once the TBS is on you'll be golden.

Dan

Hope you catch it early

Thanks 68fastback, I'll keep an ear out. Right now when I depress the clutch, when idling in neutral, the gearbox goes silent immediately, no lag at all.

When I let the clutch out in neutral, idling, I hear that chatter and that is the best way to describe it. Thanks for letting me know what to look out for, when and if I get something consistent I'm going straight to their SVT tech.

As to missing the fix by two weeks, figures, story of my life :rant2:

Reminds me of my first year in college when I finally got a date with the shall we say popular girl in my class, if you know what I mean, only to find out half way thru the date that it was two weeks after she turned over a new leaf and became a church going good girl. :doh:

Thanks 68fastback, I'll keep an ear out. Right now when I depress the clutch, when idling in neutral, the gearbox goes silent immediately, no lag at all.

When I let the clutch out in neutral, idling, I hear that chatter and that is the best way to describe it. Thanks for letting me know what to look out for, when and if I get something consistent I'm going straight to their SVT tech.

As to missing the fix by two weeks, figures, story of my life :rant2:

Reminds me of my first year in college when I finally got a date with the shall we say popular girl in my class, if you know what I mean, only to find out half way thru the date that it was two weeks after she turned over a new leaf and became a church going good girl. :doh:

:hysterical: Isn't it always that way?!! ;)

Possibly you already have something going on in the tranny then ...seems odd for those noises. Possibly try this: with trans in 1st and clutch depressed emergency brake off and foot off brake (or just covering the brake enough to trip interlock switch if required but not actually braking), start the car. Have someone looking carefully (with a flashlight if necessary) where the leading edge of a rear tire meets the ground. If there's any forward lunge when she turns-over (even a fraction of an inch) the clutch is already dragging, imo.

Possibly others have insight on the tranny sounds you're hearing too -- anyone??? ...seems odd to me :shrug:

Good luck...

Edited by 68fastback

Thanks 68fastback, I screwed up on the terminology. Sorry, I haven't driven a six speed since High School. Forgive the ignorance.

When I said depressed, I meant that is when I engage, i.e. push the clutch pedal to the floor, that is when the gearbox goes silent. When in neutral and the clutch pedal released, i.e. foot off of the clutch pedal, I hear the chatter. The TSB 08-16-4 says "hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material". Assuming the chatter I hear is this hiss, then that seems normal. Sorry for the confusion, I really should look at what I write a little closer before I push the send button.

The whine or whatever in 2nd gear is a concern but I don't know if it is the clutch drag. It seems that the TSB addresses some specific behavior not fitting my particular facts but I will keep an ear on the second gear. If it becomes consistent I'll take it to the SVT tech immediately.

Thanks for your response.

Thanks 68fastback, I screwed up on the terminology. Sorry, I haven't driven a six speed since High School. Forgive the ignorance.

When I said depressed, I meant that is when I engage, i.e. push the clutch pedal to the floor, that is when the gearbox goes silent. When in neutral and the clutch pedal released, i.e. foot off of the clutch pedal, I hear the chatter. The TSB 08-16-4 says "hiss on clutch pedal release is normal for GT500 clutch material". Assuming the chatter I hear is this hiss, then that seems normal. Sorry for the confusion, I really should look at what I write a little closer before I push the send button.

The whine or whatever in 2nd gear is a concern but I don't know if it is the clutch drag. It seems that the TSB addresses some specific behavior not fitting my particular facts but I will keep an ear on the second gear. If it becomes consistent I'll take it to the SVT tech immediately.

Thanks for your response.

You're welcome. The words can easily get crossed -- no problem at all.

Ok, here's what's also confusing: The normal clutch hiss they're talking about there (in the TSB) is a fairly loud hiss that the cerametalic clutch makes when actually engaging the clutch in-gear to move the car. That's what they're saying is normal. The 'hiss' that they don't menton is a much quieter hiss and is one of the indicators if there's a problem with the clutch dragging (not releasing entirely or releasing too slowly). Possibly they don't talk about that because it's subtle but you should hear it if you listen carefully ...even if no problem it should be there when idling in neutral with your foot off the clutch. The when you push the clutch to the floor it should go away quickly (as the clutch disengages and spins down to a stop). If it takes more than 1-2 seconds or doesn't go away at all, it's dragging even if it hasn't caused any synchro problems yet. Confusing, I know.

Still, the chatter noise and 2nd-gear whine is curious. Possibly it's related somehow -- dunno.

FYI, The New Updated Flywheel Itself was Put on Production Cars as of 05/27/08. This Does Not Mean However That Flywheels Replaced as Service Parts After that Date are Necessarily the Updated Flywheel. The original Part Number was 7r3z6375aa. The Updated TSB Flywheel is 7r3z6375b.

Also for those Interested in the Weight Difference the Old Flywheel Shows a SHIPPING weight of 22lbs and The New is at 28 Lbs.

Also of Interest But Not Mentioned is the Crank Damper. The original Crank Damper as Used on 07's From 06/06/06 to 5/27/08 Weighed 22lbs. The 08 Damper Used From 06/26/07 to 05/27/08 Weighs 10Lbs. The 09 Damper Used 05/27/08 and Up Also Weighs 10 lbs. Sound s Like Ford Knew a Flywheel Weight Change was Coming up???? Just an FYI. Oh and Btw if you Look at the FRPP Supercharger Upgrade they Say you Must Change that Heavy Damper on the 07's For Warranty Coverage. Interesting to say the Least. Wonder if Ford Should Have Included the Damper as Part of the TSB.

KC

Edited by 05stangkc

A heads up to those thinking they may be OK. I have an 07 built the end of April 07 and had NONE of the symptoms listed in the TSB. I always felt the tranny felt notchy or not smooth and took the car in at about 11,000 miles to have it checked and was told the car shifted fine. I have never had the car to the track and have a 100 mile commute with moderate stop and go. I get into it on occassion but not all the time and have mild mods. Tune, upper and lower pulleys and CAI. I now have about 27,000 miles on it and it's in the shop. Last week I was thinking to myself as I was driving that the car was shifting better! Two days later it was catasphric failure and the car had to be towed to the dealer. When I parked the car it was fine, when I got back in to go home it would not move. The dealer is doing the full TSB. It can happen at any time. Everything is shot.

How did you come up with that date ?

I crossed the ID# off the Flywheel Pics you Posted which Crosses over to an 09 Ford Service Part # Which is Different From The TSB# . TSB Parts are Sometimes Assigned a Specific Kit Number which is tracked in FORD Warranty trends. The 09 Service Part # Tells Me When the Part Was Used in Production.

KC

Edited by 05stangkc

I have an '08 that was built in mid February. There's about 1K on the clock right now and although I don't have the hiss while the pedals down, I have had notchy shifts into 1st, 3rd and Reverse at times. Seems it mostly does it when it's cold. When it's warmed up it seems to shift fine.

Will mine have the same problem/failure eventually and will they cover it after the 1st year/12K miles? I do have the extended FORD warranty (5yr 75K) so I'm hoping that will protect me even if the base warranty doesn't warranty the transmission?

After selling my defective '03 (bad head, ticking cylinder #8), this is a REAL let down!

I have an '08 that was built in mid February. There's about 1K on the clock right now and although I don't have the hiss while the pedals down, I have had notchy shifts into 1st, 3rd and Reverse at times. Seems it mostly does it when it's cold. When it's warmed up it seems to shift fine.

Will mine have the same problem/failure eventually and will they cover it after the 1st year/12K miles? I do have the extended FORD warranty (5yr 75K) so I'm hoping that will protect me even if the base warranty doesn't warranty the transmission?

After selling my defective '03 (bad head, ticking cylinder #8), this is a REAL let down!

Take it in and get it looked at anyway. At the very least it'll be documented.