TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Take on the Snake

Shelby is currently producing Super Snakes and KR’s. It’s no secret that the demand for these cars exceeds their supply. I’ve waited a long time for my Super Snake. I put in for mine when the first prototype #070001 car showed up here at Kenne Bell for some testing on our dyno. Fell in love with the car. I finally picked it up in Las Vegas last week and drove it home. My plan is to drive it every day, enjoy it, and watch it appreciate in value.

The Shelby quality and attention to detail was obvious. The car was flawless. This thing turns more heads than Ty Cobb slamming another one out of the park. The brakes stop better than an out-of-control elevator hitting the bottom of the shaft. It handles better than anything I’ve ever driven.

But, the number one question I get is “Is that one of the 725hp versions?”. I am glad it is the 725 and not one of the 600 hp versions. I’m obviously biased towards the 725 - Kenne Bell supplies the superchargers - but I wouldn’t want to tell people for the next twenty years “It’s only the 600 hp version”. These 725 hp cars will be worth a lot of money some day. Sure there is a 500 hp GT500 and 540 hp KR, and the 600 hp Super Snake, but there is only one 725 hp Shelby Super Snake that can claim the title “The Most Powerful Production Musclecar Ever”. And, this car with only a quick easy $125 pulley change and some race fuel can be turned up an additional 143 rwhp from 658 to 801 = 143 MORE HP with no other changes or additions to the tune or fuel system. 800 rwhp is 940 engine hp!

Whatta car!

post-19116-1218160729.jpg

Couldn’t resist photgraphing the car in front of Shelby Headquarters.

post-19116-1218160750.jpg

Here’s (left to right) Donnie Beson (Director of Sales) Gary Patterson (VP Operations), Gary Davis (Head of Production) and Jim Bell (President of Kenne Bell). They drove me to my car in the Shelby Mustang Golf cart (left). Gotta get one of those for our shop. Many thanks to everyone involved at Shelby Automobiles.

Jim Bell

As one of the first owners of a 2008 SGT to have the KB S/C added to it at SAI, let me compliment you, Mr. Bell, on one heck of a power adder for my car. To me, when KB became available on the SGTs, the choice of "which supercharger" got very easy. Enjoy your car. I know I am enjoying mine.

Jim

Aw Mr. Bell, now why did you have to go and say that about the 725 version, I’ve got the vert. Now I’m going to have to spend the extra money for the 725 polished blower and swap it out and then mothball the TVS. (My wife thanks you in advance). :banghead: Congrats on the GO SS! :peelout:

But, the number one question I get is “Is that one of the 725hp versions?”. I am glad it is the 725 and not one of the 600 hp versions. I’m obviously biased towards the 725 - Kenne Bell supplies the superchargers - but I wouldn’t want to tell people for the next twenty years “It’s only the 600 hp version”. These 725 hp cars will be worth a lot of money some day. Sure there is a 500 hp GT500 and 540 hp KR, and the 600 hp Super Snake, but there is only one 725 hp Shelby Super Snake that can claim the title “The Most Powerful Production Musclecar Ever”. And, this car with only a quick easy $125 pulley change and some race fuel can be turned up an additional 143 rwhp from 658 to 801 = 143 MORE HP with no other changes or additions to the tune or fuel system. 800 rwhp is 940 engine hp!

Jim Bell

Congratulations, great looking car.

I didn't know you could change the pulley and use race fuel without changing the tune. What size pulley and what octane fuel do you use to get 800 rwhp?

What pulley do we have to order to get the power Jump Jim ?

Is there no tuning required to take the car up to 900+hp ??

This sounds incredible, scary...!!!! but incredible.

Hi GT500Bookends and Aussie Snake!

Check this out at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32277.

These are tests on the same car right off the street with the same tune as yours. You can see the air/fuel ratio is a safe 11.2-11.5:1 no matter what boost/hp you run all the way to 800 rwhp. The only difference is the octane. The 648 rwhp (3-1/4" pulley) run is with 91 octane, the 800rwhp (2-1/2" pulley) run is with C16 race fuel, that's it.

If you were actually going to go to the track to do this, we'd recommend using our race tune - the only difference between the street and race tune is the race tune locks the timing in so it can't vary, and the traction control is defeated, so it is the best tune for consistency at the track.

Could you run the 2-1/2" pulley on the street all the time? No. It would be for race applications only (see our website at http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/for...lby/Shelby.htm). We do not recommend running more than 18 psi on the street, but DON'T FORGET ABOUT OCTANE. Even if you said, "OK, I'll run 18 psi", you cannot simply swap the pulley out unless you support it with enough octane.

The awesome thing is the 800 rwhp (941 engine hp) potential is built into each and every 725 hp Super Snake with just a pulley change and some octane (OK, you have to put the stock belt and tensioner pulley back on too, but I can do that in less than ten minutes with my eyes closed)! Heck, we thought all you guys knew this!

We recommend a method of about 1.5-2.0 octane per psi over the std. kit, but as soon as you cross the 18psi barrier, just run the best fuel you can buy (we use C16) because you can never run too much octane. However it's easy not to run enough, THEN you get into serious trouble! Octane is your best friend in boosted applications. The more the better. It's extremely cheap insurance against broken parts.

Now see here Aussie Snake, for you it's different. Your octane rating is based on RON only so it shows a higher rating. Don't be fooled by that! Your 98 is like our 91-92, so don't go gettin' any ideas!

Regards,

Ken

Shelby is currently producing Super Snakes and KR’s. It’s no secret that the demand for these cars exceeds their supply. I’ve waited a long time for my Super Snake. I put in for mine when the first prototype #070001 car showed up here at Kenne Bell for some testing on our dyno. Fell in love with the car. I finally picked it up in Las Vegas last week and drove it home. My plan is to drive it every day, enjoy it, and watch it appreciate in value.

The Shelby quality and attention to detail was obvious. The car was flawless. This thing turns more heads than Ty Cobb slamming another one out of the park. The brakes stop better than an out-of-control elevator hitting the bottom of the shaft. It handles better than anything I’ve ever driven.

Whatta car!

Here’s (left to right) Donnie Beson (Director of Sales) Gary Patterson (VP Operations), Gary Davis (Head of Production) and Jim Bell (President of Kenne Bell). They drove me to my car in the Shelby Mustang Golf cart (left). Gotta get one of those for our shop. Many thanks to everyone involved at Shelby Automobiles.

Jim Bell

I could not agree more. I have CSM#07SS0022, a 725Hp Super Snake, and I can also say that I have never had better tech service than KB. I have put several Kenne Bell Superchargers on over the last 12 years and they are all still going strong. I love the car and the supercharger. Nothing beats the Kenne Bell units for power or quality. Best of luck to Jim and Ken at KB.

Mike Delaney

Aw Mr. Bell, now why did you have to go and say that about the 725 version, I’ve got the vert. Now I’m going to have to spend the extra money for the 725 polished blower and swap it out and then mothball the TVS. (My wife thanks you in advance). :banghead: Congrats on the GO SS! :peelout:

I have the complete KB Polished Kit that Shelby took off my Super Snake, CSM#07SS0022, that I will sell for $4800. The booster Pump and Polished Throttle Body are still in plastic because Shelby did not change those parts when they changed it out. It saved them alot of time that way. Call (208)769-7233 or (509) 993-4909

This will save you $2000 and it only has 500 miles on it.

Mike Delaney

Hi GT500Bookends and Aussie Snake!

Check this out at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32277.

We recommend a method of about 1.5-2.0 octane per psi over the std. kit, but as soon as you cross the 18psi barrier, just run the best fuel you can buy (we use C16) because you can never run too much octane. However it's easy not to run enough, THEN you get into serious trouble! Octane is your best friend in boosted applications. The more the better. It's extremely cheap insurance against broken parts.

Now see here Aussie Snake, for you it's different. Your octane rating is based on RON only so it shows a higher rating. Don't be fooled by that! Your 98 is like our 91-92, so don't go gettin' any ideas!

Regards,

Ken

Great information, and great advice. The link has awesome information. Thanks for getting that to us. :read::rockon:

If I put on the JBA LT and 3"; once that tune is set, does it still hold true that I can change the pulley and not have to change the tune again?

Great information, and great advice. The link has awesome information. Thanks for getting that to us. :read::rockon:

If I put on the JBA LT and 3"; once that tune is set, does it still hold true that I can change the pulley and not have to change the tune again?

Many thanks to everyone that replied. Too often, our customers can be led astray by opinions and others with an agenda, so we try to provide as much useful information as possible. Testing is what we do 12-16 hours a day, 5-6 days a week, so we have a lot of information we like to share.

Most of the headers we have seen tested on this car don't really produce much of a power gain at the rpm levels these engines are twisted to. Typical results are 8-12 rwhp only at the top of the rpm band. If the 5.4 was a really high revving motor beyond 6250, maybe you'd see some more gains than that, but Ford highly frowns upon raising the limiter on the 5.4, so we don't do it. Heck, if we could do that, you'd see a lot more gains from our supercharger too! Just look at any dyno pull on the KB Stage 3 GT500 and you'll see it's still pulling like a freight train all the way to the limiter. We also tested a GT Supercar engine on the dyno with our 2.8H all the way to 7500 and there was just no stopping it. It was still making power at 7500. What an incredible engine!

Another consideration is the fuel system is "at it's limit" even with the BAP at 800-810rwhp, so if you go any higher than that, then we would recommend bigger injectors, reduced fuel pressure, the 20/20 BAP and a new tune. No need for triple pump systems or bigger fuel rails. If you aren't going to go the full monty all the way to 800, then yes to answer your question, the tune you have will still work.

I recommend reading what we have to say about headers in general here at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29526. We're not trying to pick on anyone's headers in particular, just trying to let you know what to expect if you are considering installing them. We've seen a lot of headers that are pure works of art, but, well....... read the post then make your decision.

Regards,

Ken

I have the complete KB Polished Kit that Shelby took off my Super Snake, CSM#07SS0022, that I will sell for $4800. The booster Pump and Polished Throttle Body are still in plastic because Shelby did not change those parts when they changed it out. It saved them alot of time that way. Call (208)769-7233 or (509) 993-4909

This will save you $2000 and it only has 500 miles on it.

Mike Delaney

I'm going to assume that the Shelby "Super Snake" badged KB blower is NOT the one you're selling. :unsure:

I recommend reading what we have to say about headers in general here at http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29526. We're not trying to pick on anyone's headers in particular, just trying to let you know what to expect if you are considering installing them. We've seen a lot of headers that are pure works of art, but, well....... read the post then make your decision.

Regards,

Ken

I read all the information you gave, what is on your website and Shelby Tech Tips. :reading: Unbelievable amount of testing and data to back up your claims :surrender: I am going to change my mind. Why spend the money...change the pulley...add octane...you have more hp.

Doesn't get easier than that. :banana piano:

I'm going to assume that the Shelby "Super Snake" badged KB blower is NOT the one you're selling. :unsure:

Correct: I had just installed the KB Polished Stage 3 kit before I got the call to bring it to Vegas so I ave the entire polished kit thta is exactly the same except fpr the Shelby signature plate.

Mike

Correct: I had just installed the KB Polished Stage 3 kit before I got the call to bring it to Vegas so I ave the entire polished kit thta is exactly the same except fpr the Shelby signature plate.

Mike

Sorry about the the mixed up works, I just changed keyboards so I should be good now. The batteries were going dead in the wireless and I hit send before I looked at what was there.

Mike

Ok ok... ill stop pushing it hahaha...

My local garage does do Aust Race fuel 100 Ron, for not much more than 98... but im guessing im still way off.

725hp is MORE than i will ever need anyway hahahahahahahaha.

Thanks anyway Ken.

Damn your car looks great, love the Grabber Orange and Black.

Whatta car!

Jim Bell

Grabber orange never looked so good. I bet heads yank out of their sockets.

But does it make you even a little tiny bit nervous you had to accept voiding the factory warranty to go to 725 horsepower?

What kind of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are you getting now?

Thanks and congrats

But, the number one question I get is “Is that one of the 725hp versions?”. I am glad it is the 725 and not one of the 600 hp versions. I’m obviously biased towards the 725 - Kenne Bell supplies the superchargers - but I wouldn’t want to tell people for the next twenty years “It’s only the 600 hp version”. These 725 hp cars will be worth a lot of money some day. Sure there is a 500 hp GT500 and 540 hp KR, and the 600 hp Super Snake, but there is only one 725 hp Shelby Super Snake that can claim the title “The Most Powerful Production Musclecar Ever”.

Whatta car!

Jim Bell

I am sure there will be more powerful versions of the super snake in a couple of years or less. Do you really think this is the peak? I am sure its not. What will you say when a 2011 Super Snake comes in with 800 hp? I remember a few years ago the Cobra R with 385 HP was hyped up as the most powerful production mustang ever. 385 hp does not seem so amazing now.

I just hope some people don't get their feelings hurt when more powerful mustangs are made.....

That is correct. We will not sell any Super Snake Shelby badged kit to anyone other than Shelby. That is their exclusive. Ours come with the Mammoth plaques attached.

[edit] Oops, sorry if your question was to Mike. Oh well, in case anyone wondered..... that is how we sell them...

I am sure there will be more powerful versions of the super snake in a couple of years or less. Do you really think this is the peak? I am sure its not. What will you say when a 2011 Super Snake comes in with 800 hp? I remember a few years ago the Cobra R with 385 HP was hyped up as the most powerful production mustang ever. 385 hp does not seem so amazing now.

I just hope some people don't get their feelings hurt when more powerful mustangs are made.....

Well, the record stays until it gets broken! LOL! It may take a few years for that to happen, and history will show at the time it was truly the most powerful production car ever (to that date). 725 for now, almost exactly double that Cobra R!! Can you imagine if and when we hit 1450 hp? Have fun with that on the street!!

Regards,

Ken

Well Ken maybe you can help me then. I just picked up my super snake two days ago and have had some problems with it. I have gotten the check engine light once and three times the engine has gone into engine failure safe mode. THe codes that were pulled for the check engine light were p1101 and p0171 As of right now everthing seems to be pointing to either the tune or the MAF. As far as the detail in the car I couldn't agree more it looks outstanding sounds great but to bad for me the car sees to have issues wih the tune or MAF that was installed. There is nothing more disharting then to spend this kind of money on a car and get it home and be afraid to drive it. I have spoken to the group that did the build and they are working on a soultion to fix my problems I hope, but its hard to fix something when the are 300 miles away from the car and can't see it for them self's. I guess I will be taking it to have a custom tune when all is said and done for piece of mind on my end. I do have one question for you Ken If my engine was to fail because of the tune that you guys came up with would you stand behind your product and repair my engine or would I have to do it on my own. I know what your going to say no engine has ever failed because of a kenne bell well theres always the frist time! I'm just a little pissed right now because I put alot of money out for this car and I'm having problems that I fell I should not be having then I come to this site and read your post and can't beleive the arngorance in your post about how great your prouducts are and how they never break.

Archived