TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 08 is now right hand drive!

Venix

Hey Amanda

Car looks great. The wait must be killing you now. Are you heading down to melbourne to pick the car up or having it transported to Sydney?

Enjoy. I know ya will.

Congrats.

I may be heading home shortly for a quick trip, let me know if you want me to bring any smallish parts.

PJ.

As I'm in Australia, where we drive on the right side of the road, my GT500 had to be converted to right hand drive in order to be legal. Aside from this obvious change a number of other changes were also required. Can you spot them?

I've also taken the opportunity during this work to get a bit extra done: replaced the stock wheels with Alcoa's, had the windows tinted, an invisible car bra installed, lowering, and install of an adjustable panhard.

The conversion was done by leading Australian convertor, Mustang Motorsport.

IMG_13.jpg

IMG_16.jpg

IMG_14.jpg

IMG_15.jpg

GREAT CONVERSION BUT really odd to look at a GT500 that way ..... but hey ... thats what your use to and I am sure all the left hand side drives of america makes u feel the same

Welcome, Ken :) What color is your car/options, etc? Are you getting any mods done during the conversion?

PJ, thank you for your offer. I'm having a think about if there's anything you could bring back for me. I'll PM you if I come up with anything.

You're very observant, 08Blue! I'm not 100% sure what the red 'thing' is, but I know it is a light. I'm assuming it's wired into the alarm and will flash when the alarm is on as that's something almost every modern car has here.

Personally, I don't find LHD cars odd because I've seen so many of them (we get a lot of US television) throughout my life. But I can understand how the reverse would be true :)

MM, you never know your luck. When you come over, and if you come to Sydney, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Man, that's almost mind boggling. Kudos to a nice job, but to me it almost seems wrong. The Aussies should have followed our lead instead of the Brits.

Coming from England the right hand car looks Great

I should have my SS in ten days time after a very long journey from Shelby

In England we can drive left hand drive cars with no problem

Once you get behind the wheel it takes no time to adjust

I will not change mine to right hand drive, as I want to keep it as it should be

A FANTASTIC AMERCIAN MUSCLE CAR

:happy feet: :happy feet: :shift:

It's opposite day! So for proper weight distribution I take it the Shaker 1000 was relocated to the left side! If not the car might be a little heavy on the right. Nice conversion. I've driven a couple of right side drive vehicles and its amazing how the mind can adapt after a few hours. Also, I'd bet it would be a lot of fun on a road course.

Welcome to the forum.

Wait a minute...........this all makes sense now, the water in the toilets down under spin in a different direction, thus the reason for the conversion to right side drive. :drool:

Welcome, Ken :) What color is your car/options, etc? Are you getting any mods done during the conversion?

PJ, thank you for your offer. I'm having a think about if there's anything you could bring back for me. I'll PM you if I come up with anything.

You're very observant, 08Blue! I'm not 100% sure what the red 'thing' is, but I know it is a light. I'm assuming it's wired into the alarm and will flash when the alarm is on as that's something almost every modern car has here.

Personally, I don't find LHD cars odd because I've seen so many of them (we get a lot of US television) throughout my life. But I can understand how the reverse would be true :)

MM, you never know your luck. When you come over, and if you come to Sydney, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Hi There

Thanks for the welcome. I purchased my GT500 over the internet from St Helens Auto Centre, a Ford dealer just out of Portland, USA. It had just 3 miles on the clock when we pulled it out of the container here in Auckland, New Zealand. It is Torch Red with white stripes. It has the update interior package with the shaker 1000. The conversion to RHD is simply to meet our laws. We have a silly 90 day law here in NZ. This means (for cars under 20 years old) that if you stay in the US for 90 days then there is no requirement to convert the steering over. If you purchase a vehicle and you don't stay in the US for the 90 days then the car must be converted. In my case I purchased over the internet therefore it must be converted. I will be installing the JLT Cold Air Box Kit along with a few other goodies when I get the car back. The plan will to keep the car mainly stock other than the JLT kit.

Hey there,

Okay - you mentioned New Zealand. Will you be watching any of the Targa this year? :) My understanding is that Steve will be driving the Stillen Ford GT in the event this year :) HOPEFULLY its televised - since there is no way I will ever get to go see it in person :)

Page

Hi Page

I was in the US last November at SEMA and visited Stillen when we got back to LA. We had the pleasure of an impromptu meeting with Steve where he gave us an hour of his valuable time. He showed us the GT40 and his IMSA winning Nissan 300Z's That was very much appreciated. I live in the same area (Mairangi Bay) here in Auckland, New Zealand that Steve & his brother Rod lived before heading to the US many years ago. He made mention that he was planning to bring the GT40 down under for Targa 2008. Yes this event is televised so hopefully you will get to see some footage in the US. That will be exciting as this is one fabulous race car. Cheers.

Welcome aboard Ken! :happy feet:

So if I come down South, can I drive someone's right hand drive GT500? :hysterical:

Hi There

Thanks for the welcome. Hey if you are ever planning on visiting our beautiful country down here at the bottom of the earth, I would be delighted to arrange a drive for you in my right hand drive GT500. Its red to !!!!!

Cheers

I always welcome team shelby members to give me a call when in town.

Already met two great team shelby members who have come down here and driven my old car.

Michael, you are welcome here anytime big guy, and of course the super snake is available for a drive.

My car isnt ready for another couple of months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are waiting for the Griggs GR40 suspension

to arrive (then you can compare the super snake to stock and RHD).

What more reason do you want to fly 10,000 km hahhaa and the beers colder than england !!!

How did we get so far off track.... sorry Amanda... YOUR CAR IS GREAT !!!

Coming from England the right hand car looks Great

I should have my SS in ten days time after a very long journey from Shelby

In England we can drive left hand drive cars with no problem

Once you get behind the wheel it takes no time to adjust

I will not change mine to right hand drive, as I want to keep it as it should be

A FANTASTIC AMERCIAN MUSCLE CAR

:happy feet: :happy feet: :shift:

Hodger, I drive in England and Scotland and don't have a problem with the shifter or shifting. Its the scare you get when your mind lapses and you find yourself in the wrong lane at a high speed. Or after a long flight arriving at Heathrow at 7AM and almost stepping out in front of a bus! I take driving in Germany or Austria ...you just need to be able to recognize their 200 different signs and watch for the cameras.

As I'm in Australia, where we drive on the right side of the road, my GT500 had to be converted to right hand drive in order to be legal. Aside from this obvious change a number of other changes were also required. Can you spot them?

I've also taken the opportunity during this work to get a bit extra done: replaced the stock wheels with Alcoa's, had the windows tinted, an invisible car bra installed, lowering, and install of an adjustable panhard.

The conversion was done by leading Australian convertor, Mustang Motorsport.

IMG_13.jpg

IMG_16.jpg

IMG_14.jpg

IMG_15.jpg

Right hand drive for 'right side of the road' that's different!! Just joking... I know what you meant. ;) Driven and visited down-under there in OZ a few times, awesome country you have there, might move if this one continues on it's present course. :(

Beautiful GT500, but I have to agree with others, it is a little weird seeing everything mirror image. Safety mods: turn-signal repeaters on fenders below snakes, forward clear lenses for 'driving and turn-signals', and no doubt (I didn't look at all the pictures) you have clear lenses with orange turn signals in the rear? Once again, beautiful GT500!! How much, in Aus$ did that set you back, just the right-hand steer mods? Just in case I have to price it out for a move. ;)

Right hand drive for 'right side of the road' that's different!! Just joking... I know what you meant. ;) Driven and visited down-under there in OZ a few times, awesome country you have there, might move if this one continues on it's present course. :(

Beautiful GT500, but I have to agree with others, it is a little weird seeing everything mirror image. Safety mods: turn-signal repeaters on fenders below snakes, forward clear lenses for 'driving and turn-signals', and no doubt (I didn't look at all the pictures) you have clear lenses with orange turn signals in the rear? Once again, beautiful GT500!! How much, in Aus$ did that set you back, just the right-hand steer mods? Just in case I have to price it out for a move. ;)

Thanks 08red :)

On the rear the lenses are orange, so different to the front in that respect.

The right hand drive conversion costs a little under AUD$40k. There's a lot of other costs involved in getting it into the country (eg. GST @ 10%), which also sting you. This government makes an obscene amount of money out of its' citizens!

Archived