TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So what is the top speed on an SGT?

SHELBYBRO

I can't find what the top speed is on the SGT anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction? :shift:

I have heard that they are limited to 155 from the factory...haven't found anything to sustain that though...

that is probably 300 Km.

However, I do have a friend with a new ZO6 with the digital heads up display. He has hit 188.

WWWoooaaahhhh cool. About 150 in my SGT speedo limited to 145. Car limited at 156 by electronics was the word I was told.

Did you need a wing or was the front end fighting you? I did 135 and the car held good in a straught line but I thought it needed some down force.

Anything above 120 out here in West Texas (usually with a cross wind out of the South), I could feel the rear end moving around more than I liked...that's the reason I went with the GT500 rear spoiler...some say that due to the aerodynamics of the car, that the GT500 spoiler does no good as the air flow is actually some 10-12 inches above the rear deck over the top, but to me it feels much more stable now...I have seen 150 on mine...

Did you need a wing or was the front end fighting you? I did 135 and the car held good in a straught line but I thought it needed some down force.

I don't know that the spoiler is functional at all on these cars. I saw a wind tunnel test pic on here and if I remember correctly the wing has to be about 14" high to be functional. The car wasn't fighting me it's just the flat face of the car doesn't cut through the wind very well. About 130 or so I could really feel the "air wall".

I was going through a bottom lined with thick trees on either side so I didn't get any cross winds like motorjock. Just flat and straight for about 2 miles.

Anything above 120 out here in West Texas (usually with a cross wind out of the South), I could feel the rear end moving around more than I liked...that's the reason I went with the GT500 rear spoiler...some say that due to the aerodynamics of the car, that the GT500 spoiler does no good as the air flow is actually some 10-12 inches above the rear deck over the top, but to me it feels much more stable now...I have seen 150 on mine...

if I tried that around here the state of SC would "own" my Shelby! I must be getting too old or something as I like the on ramps for short romps, but the over 100 too much can happen. As I recall from my days in W. Texas - flat and open with a lot of tumble weeds. Just be careful!! :shift:

I just recently read an article in either Mustang Monthly or Mustangs and Fast Fords(?) that we are limited to 155 by the computer. I saw a road test several months ago for a flat front air dam on a regular Mustang GT similar to the ones on FFR 500's. The magazine also added the cold air packacge and retuned the computeraccordingly. They were able to turn off the speed limiter at the same time. They claimed to hit 157 on a Nevada back road but were hesitant to faster because of the tires, if I recall.

I'd love to find out for my self someday.

Erik

Utah (next door to Nevada)

07SGT2940

I just recently read an article in either Mustang Monthly or Mustangs and Fast Fords(?) that we are limited to 155 by the computer. I saw a road test several months ago for a flat front air dam on a regular Mustang GT similar to the ones on FFR 500's. The magazine also added the cold air packacge and retuned the computeraccordingly. They were able to turn off the speed limiter at the same time. They claimed to hit 157 on a Nevada back road but were hesitant to faster because of the tires, if I recall.

I'd love to find out for my self someday.

Erik

Utah (next door to Nevada)

07SGT2940

The tires were not the reason they did not try to go any faster...the stock 255/50ZR18 BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS tires are rated above 186 MPH...thus the ZR rating on the tires...

For tires having a maximum speed capability above 149 mph (240 km/h), a "ZR" may appear in the size designation. For tires having a maximum speed capability above 186 mph (300 km/h), a "ZR" must appear in the size designation.

A "ZR" may appear in the tire size designation.

NOTE: For "V", "W", or "Y", and tires with a "ZR" rating, a vehicle load adjustment (for speed) is required; consult tire manufacturer.

I'm running the GT500 Wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires which are also rated above 186 MPH with the ZR rating on them...I doubt any of us will actually see anything above 186 though unless we are able to get to a closed track with a LONG stretch of road and have a couple of turbos installed!

Happy motoring gents!

BTW, This makes my 500th post since I joined the fourm on February 25, 2008! Thanks for putting up with me guys and gals! I have learned a lot from this forum and the very knowledgeable people who contribute here.

supercharged top gear (5) 163.012 gps verified today lol

When the SC was installed, did they recalibrate the computer to allow the faster speed? I thought the limiter will kick in at, I've heard 151 and 155.

around 135/140 it seemed to hit a wall of air that sharply diminished acceleration....

Yes. I've felt that "Wall" too. She'll pull nicely at 120-130, then you can feel the drop off.

This past May, while driving back from Pittsburgh to Tulsa, I was on the last stretch of road before getting home. The Will Rogers Turnpike offers a lot of opportunities to open it up and I wanted to see if the cruise control would operate in the century numbers. I got it up to 130 mph and hit the cruise and it held just fine.

When I looked in my rearview mirror, the old song "Son, you're gonna drive me to drinking if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod Lincoln" immediately started playing in my head. Drafting on my ass end was a 2006 Lincoln Town car being driving by a guy with a huge cigar sticking out of his piehole. And sitting next to him, I guess was his wife. Her eyes were the "deer in the headlights" size and both hands were gripping the dash.

post-10598-1218152936.jpg

post-10598-1218152936.jpg

I don't know that the spoiler is functional at all on these cars. I saw a wind tunnel test pic on here and if I remember correctly the wing has to be about 14" high to be functional. The car wasn't fighting me it's just the flat face of the car doesn't cut through the wind very well. About 130 or so I could really feel the "air wall".

I was going through a bottom lined with thick trees on either side so I didn't get any cross winds like motorjock. Just flat and straight for about 2 miles.

Stumpy, be careful buddy. Don't know what part of Texas you're from but I'd be wary of running top speed through areas lined with thick trees. I've seen what bambi can do when hit at 65 or 70. I guess I really don't want to see what 130 or so would do to the Shelby or it's occupants. Have fun but pick your spots.

Jim

Stumpy, be careful buddy. Don't know what part of Texas you're from but I'd be wary of running top speed through areas lined with thick trees. I've seen what bambi can do when hit at 65 or 70. I guess I really don't want to see what 130 or so would do to the Shelby or it's occupants. Have fun but pick your spots.

Jim

Deer? In the woods? I would have never imagined! :hysterical:

Actally this particular area is more known for it's hog hunting.

• 2 years later...

I drive my Shelby GT between 120-155 mph every time I get behind the wheel. Let me add, that I live in Germany and love the autobahn system they have here. On most of my road trips I cruise around 140 MPH most of the time. She still has plenty of power; the car handles great and hugs the road like a flounder, even compared to several European sport car models that I have owned/driven in the past. I am slowly working on eliminating that annoying speed limiter so I can see how fast she will go.

I drive my Shelby GT between 120-155 mph every time I get behind the wheel. Let me add, that I live in Germany and love the autobahn system they have here. On most of my road trips I cruise around 140 MPH most of the time. She still has plenty of power; the car handles great and hugs the road like a flounder, even compared to several European sport car models that I have owned/driven in the past. I am slowly working on eliminating that annoying speed limiter so I can see how fast she will go.

May sound like a silly question, but what kind of MPG are you getting on the autobahn? And yes, the autobahn can be fun. Have you done the 'Ring yet?

Never tried it in this car, but I buried the 145mph speedo in my stock '05 GT out in west Texas. It was only taching about 5500 but as others have mentioned, it was aero limited and just quit pulling. I was amazed at how stable and easy to drive it was at speed - much more stable than my big block '87 coupe was at 140 (in the 1/4 mile). I could have easily one-handed it at that speed - but I didn't.

Your lucky!!! :shift:

May sound like a silly question, but what kind of MPG are you getting on the autobahn? And yes, the autobahn can be fun. Have you done the 'Ring yet?

The on board computer reads out on an average of about 19-21 mpg. I have seen it as low as 15 mpg. I have never really sat down and figured it out. The wife and I are planning on doing the "RING" this summer once the weather improves a bit more.

RAH

Archived