TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lajitas

APPLESREDGT500

Well google earth does not show a hotel in Lajitas, but I see something that looks like a butterfly (parking?) for Big Bend Ranch State Park I guess :headscratch: . The Airport looks non existant, well almost. Google shows a plane for an airport but I do not see a runway, or a building that houses airport administration. This looks like a nice place to stopBar_in_Terlingua__TX.jpg Maybe we will check in there for registration? :drop:

Sorry I can't go now, but I'm going over Thanksgiving :happy feet:

Mystery solved! The following shows the location of the Lajitas Intercontinental :hysterical:

Hi All,

I am the local guy.

Lajitas is a resort "town" along the Rio Grande - it is quite remote, but has some very nice facilities, a great restaurant, bar, spa, pool, rooms etc - and is quite a casual area for those wondering about dress attire -which out here is always pretty casual although Lajitas is nice enough to raise it some.

The airport is private - no administration etc, and is seven miles east of the resort more or less. It does have a big paved runway/area big enough for a 737 to land I am told.

The "restaurant" in the photo is indeed La Kiva - it is a prominent attraction in Terlingua and has been for many years. It is a bar and restaurant with live music at times and is unique for sure. I have been there many times over the years. This and other Terlingua attractions - the Ghost town most notably - which has several great restaurant/bars also some live music at times with truly unique surroundings should be considered part of the areas attraction.

David

Hi All,

I am the local guy.

Lajitas is a resort "town" along the Rio Grande - it is quite remote, but has some very nice facilities, a great restaurant, bar, spa, pool, rooms etc - and is quite a casual area for those wondering about dress attire -which out here is always pretty casual although Lajitas is nice enough to raise it some.

The airport is private - no administration etc, and is seven miles east of the resort more or less. It does have a big paved runway/area big enough for a 737 to land I am told.

The "restaurant" in the photo is indeed La Kiva - it is a prominent attraction in Terlingua and has been for many years. It is a bar and restaurant with live music at times and is unique for sure. I have been there many times over the years. This and other Terlingua attractions - the Ghost town most notably - which has several great restaurant/bars also some live music at times with truly unique surroundings should be considered part of the areas attraction.

David

VB,

As long as there's also a gas station there where I can get 93 octane, I'll be happy. I'd really prefer not to have to drive up to Alpine or Marathon to fill up.

Matt

Guess you were there, or know anyone who has? :beerchug: :tequila: :party:

never been there, but have been in a lot of West Texas bars in the past. A shot Tequila and a Lone Star is SOP.

David, You forgot to mention the Golf Course!

If you get a chance, try to at least eat a meal at the Gage Hotel in Marathon and make sure you look closely at the artwork. :happy feet:

The rooms there are great also. You'll be surprised.

Hey - you are right - I did forget the golf course - its nice too.

Yes, they have great accomodations and good food etc at Lajitas - I believe folks will like it. Also, the road going west from there - assume it will be on the Bull Run - Hwy 170 is considered one of the ten most scenic (and winding) in the country - beautiful and fun to drive - the big hill view in the middle is awesome indeed espicially from the pulloff and walking over to the river view. You can't miss it.

The Starlight is an awesome restaurant in the Ghost town with a good bar a great atmosphere - ditto for La kiva and the Phat Cafe is Asian fusion place with an outstanding chef and BYOB - all unique atmospheres. the whole area is really. Finally, the National Park next door is beautiful to tour.

Somewhat talked about the Gage in Marathon and yes it is great - great historic hotel and excellent food at the White Buffalo restaurant - I would recommend this as the last overnight stop instead of further out and larger and more generic towns. Ditto for the Hollad Hotel in Alpine for those coming from the west.

David

We are staying at the Holland in Alpine on the 24th, Jeff (Sprint200) mentioned his family stayed there.

Stay tuned in to where us Westers are gonna camp for the night and join in with us. Torquewrench mentioned Marathon iirc. It is about 35 miles east of Alpine.

Drop on down to I-10 and cruise with us. If you happen to come thru Houston, we have plenty of room now that the kids have all moved out :(

Sorry I can't go now, but I'm going over Thanksgiving :happy feet:

Mystery solved! The following shows the location of the Lajitas Intercontinental :hysterical:

I would suspect that airport runway just may be your drag strip....

• 3 weeks later...
Sherri/All,

I think this is the Lajitas Resort that we'll be going to:

http://www.lajitas.com/about.html

It is awesome, I hope this is it! :happy feet:

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I didn't know you and Bea were coming down. This is great, it will be good to see you guys again. Are you driving or flying into TX? It is gonna be some kind of fun.

Hi Stuart,

I didn't know you and Bea were coming down. This is great, it will be good to see you guys again. Are you driving or flying into TX? It is gonna be some kind of fun.

Sherri,

Hopefully we will win one of the Free sets of Tickets (Daughter off to Ohio University on Thursday). If not, we've decided to go anyway... Ashley, doesn't need books... :hysterical: It will great to be able to see you again. We're going drive the whole way in the 40th! :shift: We can't wait. Regards.

Stuart

You're right, your daughter doesn't need any books, she can share with someone else :lol: Hmmmm, that is alot of driving. You can meet up with the OK crew (sprint200) around Tulsa and cruise on down with them if you want some company. We are all converging on Alpine on Thursday morning to caravan into Terlingua as a mass of Shelbys!

You're right, your daughter doesn't need any books, she can share with someone else :lol: Hmmmm, that is alot of driving. You can meet up with the OK crew (sprint200) around Tulsa and cruise on down with them if you want some company. We are all converging on Alpine on Thursday morning to caravan into Terlingua as a mass of Shelbys!

Sherri,

Do not know if we're taking I-44 thru OK or Taking I-30 to Dallas. Either way we will meet you near Alpine. Where are you staying Wednesday Night?

Stuart

Apple,

When are you leaving PA? Do you want company across the country? Let me know and we can drive out together.

Stuart

Stuart,

I would like that, only we are leaving on the 20th for the first leg stopping in Mammoth Cave National Park for the night the 21st touring the caves, then leaving to go through Nashville (dinner) and stay or then on to Memphis late night to stay there. The 22nd check out Memphis then on to Abilene to stay leave 23rd for last night in Alpine , well something like that, I am giving a cushion so we are fresh for the 1st day in Terlingua!

Chuck

Stuart,

I would like that, only we are leaving on the 20th for the first leg stopping in Mammoth Cave National Park for the night the 21st touring the caves, then leaving to go through Nashville (dinner) and stay or then on to Memphis late night to stay there. The 22nd check out Memphis then on to Abilene to stay leave 23rd for last night in Alpine , well something like that, I am giving a cushion so we are fresh for the 1st day in Terlingua!

Chuck

Chuck,

No problem. We'll be leaving the 23rd to Little Rock. Then 24th into Alpine. Thanks, see you in Lajitas. Regards.

Stuart

Im in at Holland Hotel in Alpine for Wed the 24th,

looking forward to a once in a lifetime weekend.

Departing Houston, Texas with car hauler on Wed AM

Tim

Txshelby,

We'll see you in Alpine on the 24th. Best of regards.

Stuart

Archived