TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steering wheel cap

switch

I'm kinda confused by the whole safety thing. The factory emblem is aluminum with tabs around the edge to hold it in place. Why can't a replacement piece just be made in a similar way, therefore changing no safety factors? The emblem is one piece and normally doesn't detach when the airbag is deployed. So why would a simple overlay be a problem? An aluminum cap with a foam backing to compensate for the irregularities of the pony emblem and some 3M adhesive should work fine. That adhesive is what holds many automotive items together for years and I don't think would be likely to come flying off. Besides, the airbag blows the emblem and center cover to the side, not into the driver's face. Otherwise, what would it matter whether you had a pony or a berg snake imprinted on your forehead?

Rumor: I was told at a local Mustang supply house that Amy had told them that steering wheel caps were in the works. Also, I vote for a CS cap vice the berg snake, as it keeps a consistent theme on my car.

I'm kinda confused by the whole safety thing. The factory emblem is aluminum with tabs around the edge to hold it in place. Why can't a replacement piece just be made in a similar way, therefore changing no safety factors? The emblem is one piece and normally doesn't detach when the airbag is deployed. So why would a simple overlay be a problem? An aluminum cap with a foam backing to compensate for the irregularities of the pony emblem and some 3M adhesive should work fine. That adhesive is what holds many automotive items together for years and I don't think would be likely to come flying off. Besides, the airbag blows the emblem and center cover to the side, not into the driver's face. Otherwise, what would it matter whether you had a pony or a berg snake imprinted on your forehead?

Everything you state is very logical and makes complete sense, however that may not get it by government requirements and lawyers!! I hope I'm wrong, though, because 2 or 3 different cap styles could be very popular items.

• 2 weeks later...
Everything you state is very logical and makes complete sense, however that may not get it by government requirements and lawyers!! I hope I'm wrong, though, because 2 or 3 different cap styles could be very popular items.

I don't understand what the big issue is...Saleen has a cap that they market...as a matter of fact, I have one sitting on my desk right now, looking at it...It comes with a piece of round tape that has the pony cutout so it makes for a smoother surface for this cap to mount to, and it's aluminum, and mounts right over the pony cap...

What's the problem SAI???? It's just like the BERG CAP, only a little smaller diameter...that's all we're asking for? As far as airbag deployment, the entire piece that holds the emblem blows off to the right...nothing that is going to cause any more damage by having a little cap on there...certainly no more damage than what the one that's already on there would cause anyway...

Oh well, I'm exploring having my own cap made by MTM Unlimited....we'll see if he can come up with what I'm wanting...if he does, I'll hook you guys up! I'm also working on getting a grille emblem with the Berg snake and it says SHELBY under it (like the 69-70 Shelby grille emblem), and wheel caps for my GT500 wheels...we'll see how it all comes out in the long run here, but it is being worked on.....

You are right Jeff but it does look added on. It is a piece of 3M tape with a hole cut into it to cover the bar and pony logo then the logo attaches to that so it is much more pronounced and sticks up too high in my opinion. To do it right it would be a metal insert with 6 pressure clips as the original. That was my point. But you are right it could be done.

Roger

You are right Jeff but it does look added on. It is a piece of 3M tape with a hole cut into it to cover the bar and pony logo then the logo attaches to that so it is much more pronounced and sticks up too high in my opinion. To do it right it would be a metal insert with 6 pressure clips as the original. That was my point. But you are right it could be done.

Roger

Awwww....I've nver seen one up close in person just in pictures. Well...SAI did really well on the rear cap maybe they can do something similar with the steering wheel cap, though I do still agree with you that SAI may just be more risk adverse and not want to go down this road for the reasons already mentioned.

But I we can hope!

I still say they should just sell one "For Off Road Use Only". The safety police are taking all the fun out of a lot of things!!!

Archived