TEAM SHELBY FORUM

THE MUSTANG BOSS BUT WHEN 2010 ???????????

1970boss302

What we know:

• Bullitt Mustang returns in 2008 as the first official S/E S197 Mustang
  • GT500 production scheduled to end in 2008

What remains to be determined:

• How long the production cycle will be on the Bullitt, one or two years?
  • What S/E model will follow the Bullitt? Mach I? Boss? or something else?
  • What will replace the GT500 at the top of the Mustang scale?

I'm guessing that the Bullitt may only be a one year model run for MY 2008. Ford may bring back the Mach I in 2009 to add more excitement to the Mustang line-up to compete with the newly introduced Camaro and Challenger. Additionally, there will have to be a new SVT model in MY '09 unless Ford plans on extending the GT500's reported lifespan.

So what does all this mean for the Boss? My initial reaction is that the Boss is still near the top of Ford's list of desired S/E models, if a suitable N/A engine can be developed. At this point, most rumors indicate the Boss will debut in late 2009 as a MY '10 possibly with the newly introducted "Boss" engine series providing power. Displacement is purely conjecture at this stage but rumors have indicated the yet-to-be introduced "Boss" engine series will offer a 5.8L variant which could envoke the Boss 351 name.

One other conceivable scenario is could the Boss be the replacement for the GT500 in MY '09 leaving the Mach I as the permanent S/E model? The Boss DNA certainly fits with objectives of the SVT Cobra, a well rounded performance car that accelerates, handles and brakes with authority (Ford's answer to the BMW 3 series if you will). Given the strong history of the Boss name, that might be a possible (although I think very unlikely) scenario. The big question here again, is engine selection. While two Boss models is a possibility, at least one MUST be delivered with a high winding, high HP, road race inspired version similar to the original Boss 302. I'd be interested in what others might think.

What we know:

• Bullitt Mustang returns in 2008 as the first official S/E S197 Mustang

• GT500 production scheduled to end in 2008

What remains to be determined:

• How long the production cycle will be on the Bullitt, one or two years?

• What S/E model will follow the Bullitt? Mach I? Boss? or something else?

• What will replace the GT500 at the top of the Mustang scale?

I'm guessing that the Bullitt may only be a one year model run for MY 2008. Ford may bring back the Mach I in 2009 to add more excitement to the Mustang line-up to compete with the newly introduced Camaro and Challenger. Additionally, there will have to be a new SVT model in MY '09 unless Ford plans on extending the GT500's reported lifespan.

So what does all this mean for the Boss? My initial reaction is that the Boss is still near the top of Ford's list of desired S/E models, if a suitable N/A engine can be developed. At this point, most rumors indicate the Boss will debut in late 2009 as a MY '10 possibly with the newly introducted "Boss" engine series providing power. Displacement is purely conjecture at this stage but rumors have indicated the yet-to-be introduced "Boss" engine series will offer a 5.8L variant which could envoke the Boss 351 name.

One other conceivable scenario is could the Boss be the replacement for the GT500 in MY '09 leaving the Mach I as the permanent S/E model? The Boss DNA certainly fits with objectives of the SVT Cobra, a well rounded performance car that accelerates, handles and brakes with authority (Ford's answer to the BMW 3 series if you will). Given the strong history of the Boss name, that might be a possible (although I think very unlikely) scenario. The big question here again, is engine selection. While two Boss models is a possibility, at least one MUST be delivered with a high winding, high HP, road race inspired version similar to the original Boss 302. I'd be interested in what others might think.

Great summary, Fanatic

The only twist I'd add is that a Bullitt as an MY'09 in '08 still leaves an MY'08 in '07 open -- and that could still be the Boss -- with an NA niche engine as in the rumors of those fitted into GT500 'shills' for testing. I imagine Ford could change that, but that program would have to pretty far along by now and I can't see Ford passing the op to lay revenue against that sunk expense -- but who knows?

If Ford did that as a 1-year model and the Bullitt as a 1-year, all still fits Ford's espoused plan to have two SE models concurrent at any given time. The Mach (traditionally straight-line power anyway) would then still fit nicely on the refreshed '09 (MY'10) timeline, since some changes to accommodate the rumored BOSS (engine brand now, e.g. FE-variant or 385-variant or ??) like alternate motor mount locations, firewall/tower tweaks, and such would make sense then. And, of course, a big BOSSnnn could (fittingly) still coexist (overlap) with the Mach -- one tuned to the twisties, the other to straightline -- coincidentally an historically correct realtionship as well.

Which reminds me... have you checked out the IRS Poll (<--first sticky item) I put up? The refreshed base might be the first opportunity Ford could address the either/or IRS/live-axle possibility. I think they will eventually have too (I thnk it's shame they haven't already, but I understand why ;-)

The '500 is scheduled to end in '08, but there is a rampant rumor that they are considering a 3rd year. As far as the Bullitt, if it sells well, I'll bet you a buck that they throw in a 2nd year. But my guess is that we won't see this until '09 or '10 anyway.

I think that it would be smart of Ford- provided '500 sales are still solid- to go into a 3rd year. That would tee them up with new models for when the Challenger/Camaro bow in, and help them recoup the R&D for the '500 even further. I really think alot of this depends on what the competition's moves. Ford has the bullets for the gun, and I don't think they will waste them until they percieve the need.

Excellent thoughts. I agree the GT500 may very well stick around through MY '09 with a new SVT designed model to debut with the redesign in MY '10. If the rumors are the be believed, the Bullitt will be back in MY '08. If that is indeed the case, the earliest the Boss could return would be MY '09. It has always been my contention that MY '09 would be the perfect time to launch a new Boss (if all the pieces are in place) since it is the 40th anniversary of the original Boss Mustangs in '69. Of course my preference would be to develop the proper Boss Mustang regardless of when it is launched. Hopefully the picture will become clearer in the coming months, we've heard rumors that more details on the Boss will be forthcoming in a few months, we will have to see if those develop into fact.

The '500 is scheduled to end in '08, but there is a rampant rumor that they are considering a 3rd year. As far as the Bullitt, if it sells well, I'll bet you a buck that they throw in a 2nd year. But my guess is that we won't see this until '09 or '10 anyway.

I think that it would be smart of Ford- provided '500 sales are still solid- to go into a 3rd year. That would tee them up with new models for when the Challenger/Camaro bow in, and help them recoup the R&D for the '500 even further. I really think alot of this depends on what the competition's moves. Ford has the bullets for the gun, and I don't think they will waste them until they percieve the need.

My two cents. I truly doubt Ford will do a third year of the GT500 as they will PO the collectors and Shelby clan off no end by producing more than they already commited to, even though they should for the fans of high performance/value formula that Ford made redundant this last two years. And of course there is the fact that the GT500 will undoubtably be the highest profit(for Ford in terms of recovering the program cost) unit off of the current platform. They boxed themselves in again.

As we are now into the third year of production and are on the fourth SE(only one of which is truly a performance varient) the others are sticker pkgs with a very few bolt ons, I also am VERY worried about future high performance possibilities. I'll bet right now that the Bullitt (as the fifth SE) is nothing more than a green painted take off the same mold as the GT/CS. No additional engineering, just minimal effort on Fords part. The fact that whatever replaces SVT should be nuts deep in the next program and leaking info like a nursing mother right now, and yet utterly(udderly? :hysterical: ) silent, makes me uneasy. No truck, no small car, no follow on to the COBRA, and fate forbid they try and badge up an Edge or something awful like that.(PLEASE FORD, NOOOO! :sos: )

Think about it. We started with the GT500 concept in Jan. 05 and we are just now seeing cars in customer hands. Nothing new since then and they managed to cancel the Adrenalin in the meantime. The only real tangable leak I have read about is the cancellation of the Hurricane in favour of some sort of Boss branded program in the late 09 time frame. And don't think for a minute they hav'nt noticed that the HEMI game that worked so well for Chrysler was nothing more than a badge marketing progam, no engineering prowess necessary. Add that to the dismanteling of the SVT premium dealership network, and the total lack of response to the issues surrounding the customer experiance of the GT500 launch, and I am very skeptical about Fords commitment to the kind of cars I will spend my money on.

I really wanted a replacement for my toy this year, and what I'm being offered by my dealer is a CHANCE, to get one or another SE in the spring of next year, MAYBE, if I want to BET some amount of ADM. And that now includes three Stang models, one of which is at least is a full year away! So to sum up, unless one wants to settle for something less than an SVT COBRA REPLACEMENT(which is all the GT500 is, TO ME :play: ), one is almost forced in the short term to look at an import branded car. Or soldier on for AT LEAST another 6 months(best case) in the hope that my, up until now at least, amazingly dependable old SVT, with all the hard miles and great times will last until Ford gives a damm about my kind of customer again. :wacko:

I submit that the option is right in front of you. A new Mustang GT is a damn fine platform for either self-improvement mods or one for a tuner to do.

A GT is lighter than the Shelby so horsepower levels dont have to be as high the GT500 and the weight difference will allow it to corner better. Yes, it isn't a Shelby, but neither was the Boss.

Frankly, I would chosen the path of modding a Gt myself if I hadn't been lucky enough to score the Shelby, in fact I may still get one as a daily driver.

Use the force, resist the import side, it is evil :rant:

I submit that the option is right in front of you. A new Mustang GT is a damn fine platform for either self-improvement mods or one for a tuner to do.

A GT is lighter than the Shelby so horsepower levels dont have to be as high the GT500 and the weight difference will allow it to corner better. Yes, it isn't a Shelby, but neither was the Boss.

Frankly, I would chosen the path of modding a Gt myself if I hadn't been lucky enough to score the Shelby, in fact I may still get one as a daily driver.

Use the force, resist the import side, it is evil :rant:

I went through that with my new 94GT when the94/95 SVT COBRA was as hard to get as a GT500 is now. And it was based on the old pushrod 5.0. So when I shot my fun money and hamburger and beer budget 10 years ago for the 97, I bought it for very specific reasons. And have been MORE than pleased with that decision and the compromises it took back then ever since. I waited and was again ready to pull the trigger on a Term in the spring of 03(had a cashiers check cut for MSRP on an 03 Redfire coupe), only to be wary of the iron block and its compromise. After driving several(I traded a fellow SVTOA member for 2 full weeks, can't even imagine that with the new GT500 owners)on my daily drive and two hard open track events, I decided to live with the need and wait out the run, in the hopes that the S-197 would be the car. After all, my SVT was holding up so well after all the S&A I threw at it, and was as tight as new. And don't discount the dealer experiance I enjoyed, helping other people become new SVT and FORD owners, as well as the pride my toy has given me right up until today. The mods that I have done have only focused a superior package and I will never regret a single minute or dollar spent.

I was all over the new 05's, I had my dealer call me the minute the truck arrived, my salesman even worked out an arrangement with the new owner for me to take it for a test drive. Better basic platform, not an SVT. So again I pulled back, and the concept GT500 was all that I had hoped for, enough to get a verbal commmitment(because I was told, "this car is all you Rob, I would be proud to sell you one" :doh: ) and started to do my research. The SVT COBRA became the Shelby, and I have been bumped numerous times by $ and an increasing dismay re. decontenting, the end of SVT, and as we have all seen ad nauseum, the downright lousy customer experiance most people have had to deal with. I want one, but don't need one

And now the suggestion is I should build my own. Again. Just like 12 years ago, when, having the first one in the province, I did the R&D, I busted stuff twice(and in the front suspension and clutch, many more times than that!), and rode past my car as often as drove it. NOPE. In CANADA, the GT500 MSRP is 53k. And the further away I look, the more the price and the effort climbs. There is a good guy on this board who needs $70k just to get out from under his ragtop(which I really don't want as I DRIVE my car, not ride in it...)

So I start looking at some pretty solid machines in this $ range, like a Cayman S, or an M3, which are cars I consider very close to the purpose to which I use my COBRA, EVERY DAY!!! And as anybody here knows, I BLEED Ford blue, I have put up and shut up, even when the SS Camaro's and the Formula Birds with the 350/6 speed were a tough go.(Driver skill won me more than I lost, but I held the banner high).

I have investigated the Roush(two hours in a showroom) and driven a couple of Saleens, and frankly, they are nowhere near the car I need to replace. So, in the end, I am left with another wait, or I make a move I havn't considered since my Dad bought his TT 300Z back in 90. And I don't think its a step down from a GT500 to a Porsche. But its frustrating and hurts. :soapbox: off

Jetsolver, I feel your pain and the absence of anything concrete other than conjecture and rumor has me as deeply concerned as you over the future (?) of SVT and performance vehicles from Ford. My '93 Cobra has been a fantastic car and I love it dearly but it's time for a replacement. I plan on keeping it but I am desparately in need of a new true driver's Mustang from Ford. I too fear the Bullitt will simply be, as you put it, a green version of the GT/CS and nothing more. As another card carrying member of the "bleed Ford blue set" and an eternal optimist, I continues to hold out hope that Ford will deliver truly exciting cars again, not high priced future collectibles. However, the promise of the S197 is beginning to lose it's luster. If Ford can't deliver on the performance promise of the S197 in the near future, I'm unsure where to turn. I know Ford is in dire financial straits but the ONLY way out is to deliver the goods to the consumer. I think I am fairly representative of my Ford faithful, the Mustang and SVT captured my heart and my $ have followed. Since purchasing my first SVT product I have owned 6 other Ford cars/SUV's/Vans. If Ford can't see the value producing true high performance cars brings to their brand, then maybe Ford is in worse shape than we are allowing ourselves to believe.

Frustration is such an enclosing feeling... and I feel boxed a bit too. But I'm still believing and will wait.

It's a bummer just to see you guys -- genuine Ford enthusiasts -- seriously frustrated and considering alternatives because I feel your pain as if it were mine.

I don't believe Ford's commitment to genuine high-performance mustangs is in jeopardy -- if it was they would have been actively lying to us on multiple occasions. That's just not consistent with this Company's personality, IMHO.

We all have to do what we have to do, but waiting longer, for me, makes the most sense... another year (or more) for the right combination is fine with me. I waited before.

And remember, the pony-car wars haven't even begun! ;)

I think we'll see some tape-jobs along the way, but I don't think Ford doesn't know the diff. They realize some folks will actually want lower priced 'prestige' SE vehicles. But they also know that real enthusiasts want SEs that carry the flag (and ram it up the competition's :censored: )

I genuinely believe that ...and I genuinely believe when the war begins we'll see the SVT troops, wearing whatever badges work, be pulled from their holding pattern assignments as they comeplete their cycles and will be back serving up some killer product. maybe I'm less disturbed by the holding pattern because I;ve seen this done on several occasions elsewhere. Ford will not voluntarily leave their peformance pride on the table -- it will speak thru their cars. Now will indefinately supress the performance shakers and movers in SVT -- if they did they'd be gone! If that is ever in jeopardy, the game is over and I truly believe they know that. You're not going to see a lot of PR on this subject or wasted effort. Ford isn't going to spend money on that right now I think.

Feeling frustrated nonetheless

Btw -- to cheer ya up a little, or a least put a smile on ya face... did you see what these kids did with a Ford 500 and a Fort GT? Well, remember how many times I've joked "who needs a rear seat anyway" and said just take a Ford GT drivetrain and put it back there! Maybe you've seen this 550HP GT-R Ford500? Obviously just an exercise, but it made me smile ;)

-Dan

Frustration is such an enclosing feeling... and I feel boxed a bit too. But I'm still believing and will wait.

It's a bummer just to see you guys -- genuine Ford enthusiasts -- seriously frustrated and considering alternatives because I feel your pain as if it were mine.

I don't believe Ford's commitment to genuine high-performance mustangs is in jeopardy -- if it was they would have been actively lying to us on multiple occasions. That's just not consistent with this Company's personality, IMHO.

We all have to do what we have to do, but waiting longer, for me, makes the most sense... another year (or more) for the right combination is fine with me. I waited before.

And remember, the pony-car wars haven't even begun! ;)

I think we'll see some tape-jobs along the way, but I don't think Ford doesn't know the diff. They realize some folks will actually want lower priced 'prestige' SE vehicles. But they also know that real enthusiasts want SEs that carry the flag (and ram it up the competition's :censored: )

I genuinely believe that ...and I genuinely believe when the war begins we'll see the SVT troops, wearing whatever badges work, be pulled from their holding pattern assignments as they comeplete their cycles and will be back serving up some killer product. maybe I'm less disturbed by the holding pattern because I;ve seen this done on several occasions elsewhere. Ford will not voluntarily leave their peformance pride on the table -- it will speak thru their cars. Now will indefinately supress the performance shakers and movers in SVT -- if they did they'd be gone! If that is ever in jeopardy, the game is over and I truly believe they know that. You're not going to see a lot of PR on this subject or wasted effort. Ford isn't going to spend money on that right now I think.

Feeling frustrated nonetheless

Btw -- to cheer ya up a little, or a least put a smile on ya face... did you see what these kids did with a Ford 500 and a Fort GT? Well, remember how many times I've joked "who needs a rear seat anyway" and said just take a Ford GT drivetrain and put it back there! Maybe you've seen this 550HP GT-R Ford500? Obviously just an exercise, but it made me smile ;)

-Dan

Thanks Dan for talking me down from the edge!! You are right, the introduction of competitive models will certainly force Ford to up the ante (if they weren't planning on doing so already). They aren't going to concede their hard won market share that easily. But like Jetsolver, I certainly feel frustrated that Ford isn't stepping up and delivering. When the GT500 concept was unveiled, I was very excited and thought Ford had finally produced a truly stunning Mustang. However, after the initial hype wore off and the real car emerged I became more and more disgruntled with the car to the point that I took my name off all the waiting lists I had so eagerly joined only a few months earlier. From a financial standpoint, I don't mind waiting, however, I would like something definitive from Ford so that I can know what I am saving for, to establish a goal rather than relying on rumor and supposition. Right now, I feel "goal-less" which only adds to my frustration. All Ford needs to do is outline their plan for future Mustangs, Bullitt in MY '08, Boss in MY '09 etc. and I would be satisfied that work is underway to produce outstanding high performance Mustangs - and help me establish when the piggy bank needs to be full. I find this smoke and mirrors, rumor and conjecture process frustrating and pointless. Besides the lack of hard data on future SE models, the most frustrating piece for me is that Ford seems to have forgotten the average enthusiast with their current product offerings. These are the people, like Jetsolver, who carry the Ford banner high on the streets and tracks of America. They would rather die than be caught dead driving an import or Brand X. They "bleed Ford blue" and support the brand with their hearts and their wallets. To me, the GT500 was never about the average enthusiast but about the affluent collector group, those who view the car as an "investment" or a museum piece. Those buyers don't know a power shift from a power slide. And I'm not just talking about the lack of a serious road race inspired Mustang either, Ford has been neglecting the street/strip set as well, where's the Mach I? Both segments need a vehicle they can drive that will address their particular need, right now only the collectors (including Ole Shel' himself) and the greedy dealers are happy. Sorry, :soapbox: off

I saw the GT-R 500, definitely makes you smile....I'd love to take it out for a little drive, boy wouldn't those Viper guys be surprised when they got waxed by a sedan... :lol:

Can't tell you how much I enjoy your heartfelt and reasoned posts, Fanatic and Jetsolver..

Was thinking that the reason the pre-view PR mill has seemingly run dry is because this is a rather unique period. At one end they don't want to canabalize GT500 sales with pre-views and, at the other end, likely don't want to hand GM and DCX their game plan on a silver platter ...because, I suspect, this will be a war of strategy as much as a war of performance/parts.

That's why I think they'll have to serve up at least one competant curve-carver and one drag/muscle-car in the interim. I don't doubt that there will be pressure from some in Ford to do that with tape and paint and hold the heavy artillary for the war but a respectable NA curve-carver makes business sense in "the gap" independent of future competition and the GT500. A good strategy would be to hold the fort with a baby-BOSS-like SE called Bullitt (saving the Big Boss for the refreshed platform) and a Mach variant (possibly as a third year SE drag-version of the GT500 powertrain with single drive-shaft, basic interior, etc.

But who knows?! Certainly, what seems to make sense and what happens is not necessarily in lock step ;-) and we've all talked on possible staging before. It probably also depends on what Ford believes brands-X are doing and when they're doing it. I suspect we won't even hear anything 'official' about the BOSS engine brand until its target ride comes up on the play list.

Frankly, I don't know why Ford doesn't offer up a Sport-Trac "Lightning" or something like that in the meantime to get some early leverage while DCX is cutting 'Hemi' production unless Ford has some very specific plans for a BOSS-labeled DOHC big-block and plan to tie the name directly to a specific archetecture, as with 'hemi.' I'd be fine with keeping BOSS tied to the car, and just put a bada$$ DOHC SVT-labelled big block in any BOSS-labelled vehicle -- i.e. you can lever the branding without being tied to a specific architecture in the future (as 'hemi' is -- thought the new 'hemi' isn't <lol>)

Maybe SEMA will slyly shed some light -- I will be looking for any and all manner of hint ;-) even tho I can only be there for 1 day.

Well hopefully we'll have the opportunity to meet down the road -- with (or without) our fave rides. In the meantime...

:grouphug::shift::baby:

Can't tell you how much I enjoy your heartfelt and reasoned posts, Fanatic and Jetsolver..

And yours sir...

But who knows?! Certainly, what seems to make sense and what happens is not necessarily in lock step ;-) and we've all talked on possible staging before. It probably also depends on what Ford believes brands-X are doing and when they're doing it. I suspect we won't even hear anything 'official' about the BOSS engine brand until its target ride comes up on the play list.

I suggest this. Just build a third year of GT500 as an SVT without the SHELBY branding, and I can get one. But they need to let me know. Or better yet, hold the BOSS until the new refresh design, Market and build an all out car to replace the SHELBY and call it a BOSS. IN the meantime, build an SVT on the GT500 system(driveline) with the very same 4.6 DOHC that it was suggested today that was cancelled!!!! :censored: That is exactly the car that I wanted all along, and it could be built with no real differance to the assembly line process, say two years(MY 08-09) at about 5000 units a year for all the people who are shut out of the whole SHELBY thing. I know for a fact that the hype and crap around the SHELBY has left about a dozen SVT owners I am in contact with locally who would jump at the chance for a car like that at under $40k(say $45 CAN). I don't give a damm what they call it. Preferably "sold to a repeat customer".

+2 :) and as Jetsolver indicated, the same to you. Always a pleasure reading your posts

Well hopefully we'll have the opportunity to meet down the road -- with (or without) our fave rides. In the meantime...

Yes, lets certainly make that a goal. Hopefully, we can all be sporting our new S197 Mustangs!!

I suggest this. Just build a third year of GT500 as an SVT without the SHELBY branding, and I can get one. But they need to let me know. Or better yet, hold the BOSS until the new refresh design, Market and build an all out car to replace the SHELBY and call it a BOSS. IN the meantime, build an SVT on the GT500 system(driveline) with the very same 4.6 DOHC that it was suggested today that was cancelled!!!! That is exactly the car that I wanted all along, and it could be built with no real differance to the assembly line process, say two years(MY 08-09) at about 5000 units a year for all the people who are shut out of the whole SHELBY thing. I know for a fact that the hype and crap around the SHELBY has left about a dozen SVT owners I am in contact with locally who would jump at the chance for a car like that at under $40k(say $45 CAN). I don't give a damm what they call it. Preferably "sold to a repeat customer".

+1. I've said all along that callling the GT500 a Shelby was a slap in the face to all SVT owners who have faithfully supported the brand for their first decade. I certainly feel that SVT was sold out for the Shelby name. Ford needs to get back to the business of making affordable high performance cars for their enthusiast segment and quit lining Ole Shel's pockets.

Keep the faith, Jetsolver, we will again enjoy driving Ford high performance cars. The great thing is that there are plenty of others like us and we need to continue to make our collective voices heard regarding the Mustang's content and direction. Eventually Ford will have to listen or face their own demise.

I agree with you guys on many, many points, and I respectfully disagree on a couple. Let me say this: I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised when the Bullitt is released, if what's circulating now is still true. :party:

I have had my moments, too, and it has not been easy for a Ford true-blue blood like myself. I am making a conscious effort to stay the course, and get my psycho-stang one day (this will be my 11th). :shift:

I agree with you guys on many, many points, and I respectfully disagree on a couple. Let me say this: I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised when the Bullitt is released, if what's circulating now is still true. :party:

I have had my moments, too, and it has not been easy for a Ford true-blue blood like myself. I am making a conscious effort to stay the course, and get my psycho-stang one day (this will be my 11th). :shift:

I do hope the Bullitt is more content than fluff but I'm still holding out for the Boss. Of course, if I win the lottery.... :censored: there I go, dreaming again!! :party:

Hi guys... I was away for a couple of days. Gave my wife a 'vacation' and met up with an old friend so I could drive my old '01 Cobra for a couple days on the backroads of Connecticut -- needed a "twisties" fix! She's still sweet.

Anyhow, I was thinking that Fords espoused two-year SE mustangs might make a lot of sense if one "track" is the Forced Induction 'muscle-car' (track-1) and the other "track" is the NA curve-carver (track-2).

Dunno if that's how they're approaching it but the GT500 could fairly be viewed as the S197 first volley on the forced-induction muscle-car track and a Boss or Bullitt the would fit the NA curve-carver track. I think Ford could get five good years of historical 'two-tracking' (aka '67-71). November Road & Track claims the '09 is largely a restyle (stil didn't see hips in their drawings, but I doubt Ford would be leaking that anyway) but they showed a styling exercise of a dramatic new mustang (which looks to have no rear seat from the proportions!) which they claim will be a ground-up new vehicle for release MY 2012 -- that coincidentally leaves five model years for a retro two-track approach in the interim (if that's the plan).

I started thinking about it this way because if it's true that the Boss is not at-bat next, and Bullitt is, either would work on track-2. Maybe Ford felt the expectation is too high for a Boss forst-off, so decided to start that track with the Bullitt -- and a better historical match for anniversary 'timing' too.

...a pic of her just for nostalgia;-) post-4902-1159932245_thumb.jpg

post-4902-1159932245_thumb.jpg

Nice Cobra, Dan!! :drool:

I think you could be on the right "track" (no pun intended...well, ok, maybe a little one). Ford definitely needs to address the needs of the straight line acceleration segment as well as the corner carving road race segment. The Bullitt could be the first volley aimed to address the road race set. Ford could well be waiting to bring out the big Boss gun when the competition arrives from GM and DC. I've always thought it made the most sense to bring back the Boss in MY '09 to celebrate the 40th anniversary. It is just happens to concide nicely with the relaunch of the Camaro and Challenger. Either way, the Boss had better bring the performance goods to the table when it arrives to preserve the legacy of the nameplate (and to delight the legions of enthusiasts such as me!!!) :happy feet:

Nice Cobra, Dan!! :drool:

I think you could be on the right "track" (no pun intended...well, ok, maybe a little one). Ford definitely needs to address the needs of the straight line acceleration segment as well as the corner carving road race segment. The Bullitt could be the first volley aimed to address the road race set. Ford could well be waiting to bring out the big Boss gun when the competition arrives from GM and DC. I've always thought it made the most sense to bring back the Boss in MY '09 to celebrate the 40th anniversary. It is just happens to concide nicely with the relaunch of the Camaro and Challenger. Either way, the Boss had better bring the performance goods to the table when it arrives to preserve the legacy of the nameplate (and to delight the legions of enthusiasts such as me!!!) :happy feet:

Amen, amen! and still leaves the door open for a BigBoss ;-)

I saw while Jag & rover sales are down, Fusion is up and Mustang is booming... up 64% over last year in August -- well, allright!!! :happy feet:

Archived